Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 21077 times)

Celtics Off-Season News
« on: July 12, 2022, 06:04:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
From the press conference today:

“This is everything I’ve wanted,” Brogdon said. “To be able to get back to this level, to be able to compete with guys that want to win a championship and that are all in, that want to sacrifice to win. So it’s very fortuitous for me to be here and I think it’s the perfect time for me.”

Brown and Brogdon work together as vice presidents with the Players Association, but Brown’s activism really drew Brogdon’s attention — Brown led a march in Atlanta as part of the Black Lives Matter movement in 2020, and Brogdon wanted to be a part of it.

“That’s when I really got to know pretty well and sort of realized what he’s really about,” Brogdon said. “For him, it’s bigger than basketball, it’s about life. It’s about being an activist. It’s about being a good person. So always been a big fan of his and I’m really excited to play with him.”

Brogdon is ready to work with Marcus Smart.

“I think Marcus is one of the biggest winners that we’ve seen in this league,” Brogdon said. “I think that’s why Boston loves him, and the organization loves him. You can’t put your finger on what it is about him, but he’s a winner. …

“I really think he and I will play well together. We have different skill sets, but we both want to win so bad it doesn’t matter. All of the other stuff is distraction and noise. We’re going to come together and make this thing work.”

Gallinari, meanwhile, grew up a Celtics fan and studied Larry Bird’s game when he was a kid. Joining the team he cheered for as a child and simultaneously competing for a championship was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up, even for a little bit more money.

“When the Celtics came on the table it was almost like a no-brainer,” Gallinari said. “You walk even in this facility, you look around and see what’s going on around the banners and the history and everything the Celtics were about, it was an easy choice.”

Both Tatum and Brown reached out to the new additions when it became clear they were headed to Boston.

“You don’t see a lot of players, a lot of great players like them that’s young but they already have a lot of experience,” Gallinari said. “So, of course when you look at a team, one of the reasons why I came here is them. So I talked to them already. I’m excited and we’re all here working for them, working for the team, to make sure that we all succeed.”

Stevens suggested the Celtics might still make one more addition at center, while complimenting Luke Kornet. If the roster stood as currently constructed, Kornet would be the team’s back-up.

“We’ll probably add one more person that can play in that area,” Stevens said. “But we’re really believing in Luke as not only depth — he can obviously fill out the roster — but also be ready to help us and help us win. I think he’s at that stage where he can do that.

“But we’re still looking, and we’ll still add at least one more body at that, whatever we call the five position nowadays.”

“Obviously, we have not only a trade exception now, but trade exceptions that we can use again towards the trade deadline,” Stevens said. “And that’s all about just finding the right deal. If it’s the right trade to be made, we have the green light to do that.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 07:25:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I also like Luke Kornet as a backup. I watched him in GLeague last year and he looks like he's improved. I could see him getting 10-15 minutes a game without killing the team.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 07:42:20 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Great thing about Brad, he says exactly what he's thinking of doing next. Or is that a bad thing.

So far pretty good though.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
These two additions seem pretty perfect in terms of not rocking the boat in the locker room. Both at the stage of their career where they want to win, but still have lots to offer in terms of ability. I'm very excited.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I also like Luke Kornet as a backup. I watched him in GLeague last year and he looks like he's improved. I could see him getting 10-15 minutes a game without killing the team.

I certainly hope not.  :-X
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 08:57:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I certainly hope not.  :-X
Yeah, that would not be good at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 05:18:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keith Smith: Luke Kornet’s new contract with the Boston Celtics is for two years at the minimum, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac. Because it’s a two-year deal, there is no tax credit for Boston. 2022-23 is partially guaranteed. 2023-24 is fully non-guaranteed. – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

Guarantee dates and amounts here:  https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 05:59:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Keith Smith: Luke Kornet’s new contract with the Boston Celtics is for two years at the minimum, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac. Because it’s a two-year deal, there is no tax credit for Boston. 2022-23 is partially guaranteed. 2023-24 is fully non-guaranteed. – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

Guarantee dates and amounts here:  https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

$100k guaranteed.  Bumps to $300k in mid-August, and then half-guaranteed if he makes the roster on opening day.

This is literally a placeholder contract.  If the Celtics find someone better in the next month, Kornet will be cut.  If they can’t find someone they’re comfortable with by mid-August, he gets a couple hundred thousand more to be part of a training camp battle.  If he wins that camp battle, he’ll probably be on the team until early January.

I think it’s officially time for posters here to stop counting Kornet as a wasted roster spot.  He’s very unlikely to make it.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 06:26:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
about 6 minutes ago
Sam Hauser's new contract with the Boston Celtics is for three years at the minimum via Hauser's Non-Bird rights. All three seasons are fully guaranteed. The Celtics have a team option for the final season, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
about 6 minutes ago
Sam Hauser's new contract with the Boston Celtics is for three years at the minimum via Hauser's Non-Bird rights. All three seasons are fully guaranteed. The Celtics have a team option for the final season, a league source tells @celticsblog and @spotrac.

I find this contract mystifying. Do Brad and Ime know something about Hauser that we don't? Is he even really better than Ryan, Thomas, Begarin etc? Feels like we're bidding against ourselves here with 3 years guaranteed.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 07:26:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
about 6 minutes ago

I find this contract mystifying. Do Brad and Ime know something about Hauser that we don't? Is he even really better than Ryan, Thomas, Begarin etc? Feels like we're bidding against ourselves here with 3 years guaranteed.
It's a minimum contract. I think it gets subsidized by the league as most minimum contracts do. $1.8 million a year to see if Hauser can develop is no big deal. If he shows nothing after a year, he is trade filler. If he shows enough in year 1 to warrant no being traded but then flops year two, you don't pick up his option for year three. Worse case if Hauser shows nothing, $3.6 million over two years....less than a first round pick would get.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 09:50:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
about 6 minutes ago

Firstly, yes, Stevens, Udoka, and the rest of the Celtics management know a heck of a lot more about all the players on the roster, as they see them every day in practices, scrimmages, film sessions and the like.  They like him a good deal — it’s why they converted his two-way to a regular contract last year.

As for the contract, it’s really only two years that are guaranteed, as there is a team option for year 3.  If the Celtics pick it up, it’s fully guaranteed, but if they don’t, then obviously he’s not under contract so it wouldn’t be.

Additionally, it’s not a crazy deal.  Based on his work last year, they knew they were going to guarantee him this year (he had a partial guarantee if they didn’t decline his option for this season).  So this year’s guarantee is a wash.  If he played well this year, he’d have been a restricted free agent, which means if they liked him after this year he would have been extended a qualifying offer worth more than the minimum next year, signed a longer deal worth more than the QO, or, at worse, signed another minimum deal.  But next year’s minimum for year 1 of a contract will be more than his current deal pays him next year.  In other words, if they felt it was probable that they would like him enough to bring him back after next year, any contract he signed would be more than he’s been guaranteed next year for his current deal. 

It was a nice gesture to guarantee two years, but I don’t this it was a sign of largesse, and Hauser has a pretty good chance of earning less than he otherwise might have.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sean Deveney @SeanDeveney
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
about 10 minutes ago
The @Boston Celtics center @Robert Williams has had no setbacks or pain after grinding his way through the postseason, I was told. Plan is to rest for 6 weeks & next month he will report to @SanfordPOWER in Irvine, Cal, to get season-ready.

One good thing about Rob being injured is he might have figured out what hurt and injured is and how much pain he can play through. Dude powered through at the end.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 11:57:06 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
about 10 minutes ago

Best tweet I’ve read this summer.

Ime hinted that he wants Rob to get stronger in lower body to help reduce injury risk. Said this a few weeks ago I forget where.