Author Topic: NBA official 2022 transaction thread  (Read 34236 times)

Re: NBA official 2022 transaction thread
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Adrian Wojnarowski: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Darius Garland has agreed on a five-year, $193M maximum designated rookie contract extension that could be worth as much as $231M, @Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul tells ESPN. It is the largest deal in franchise history.

What will happen with Sexton?

Gawd, I thought that was Sexton that got all that money from CLE the first time I read it ... horrified.

But Garland, fair enough.

« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2022, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Adrian Wojnarowski: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Darius Garland has agreed on a five-year, $193M maximum designated rookie contract extension that could be worth as much as $231M, @Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul tells ESPN. It is the largest deal in franchise history.

What will happen with Sexton?

Gawd, I thought that was Sexton that got all that money from CLE the first time I read it ... horrified.

But Garland, fair enough.

I thought that too. Had to reread.
 LOL

« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2022, 03:21:58 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
So what's Danny up to?  He's basically got 5 unprotected first round picks coming back for Gobert. Is he getting into the Durant sweepstakes?

Made another Brooklyn type theft. He’s darn good at what he does.

He’s probably telling Donovan Mitchell to be patient and look at how he did things in Boston. Mitchell is Danny’s new Pierce. With a slew of picks in hand, I think Utah will be a pretty good team sooner rather than later.

I don’t think Mitchell has the defensive skills to be the top guy on any squad. You build around a two-way franchise player, not a talented/undersized offensive player. I expect Donovan to be moved soon, too. Reportedly Miami is trying everything to get him. I’d bet on Portland overpaying with lots of future picks. I mean, Bledsoe/Hart would make it match and they could then throw four firsts, swaps and seconds. Hard to see anybody topping that, especially since Danny could flip Hart for a first maybe. Dame, Mitchell, Payton II, Grant and Nurkic would be fun.

« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2022, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Good luck to Minnesota.  In one sense, it’s nice to see a team that been bad for the better part of 4 decades go for it.  On the other hand, I’m not sure Gobert was the right player to make that move for, but Connelly has been a good GM, so maybe he is.
It's a massive risk, that's for sure. This move is basically the GM saying that this Ant/KAT/Gobert core will be good enough to carry this team for the rest of the decade.
Depends on their goal.  It is not a championship contender core but making the playoffs each year and getting into the 2nd round sometimes is good enough for some teams.
Depends on how good Edwards can become because Towns and Gobert are pretty solid as a 2 and 3 (assuming they can actually play together), and Russell may very well be the best 4th option in the sport.  The question is, can Edwards be the 1 they need.  If Edwards reaches the MVP caliber player level, then the Wolves would absolutely be a contender and easily could win a title.  I think Edwards is at least a couple of seasons away from his peak though, so can they keep the group together long enough for him to truly develop and does it work having basically 2 centers starting (I mean Towns and Gobert are pretty widely regarded as the 3rd and 4th best centers in the sport)?  Those are big question marks and where the risk is, but they should pretty solidly be a playoff team even if those things don't work out.  For the price though, they need to be more than just a playoff team.

Anthony Edwards is the real deal. He could become as good as JT.

Am I the only one who cracks up that his name is Anthony Edwards?

« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2022, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Hang Danny Ainge’s jersey up in those rafters please. The guy is just smarter than everyone else

If Danny was smarter than everyone else, Riley wouldn’t have three times as many rings as GM than Danny. Nor would Buford have five times what Danny has for rings as GM. Nor would Stevens in the 2020s 😉

« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Hang Danny Ainge’s jersey up in those rafters please. The guy is just smarter than everyone else

If Danny was smarter than everyone else, Riley wouldn’t have three times as many rings as GM than Danny. Nor would Buford have five times what Danny has for rings as GM. Nor would Stevens in the 2020s 😉

Riley doesn't, he has 2 as an executive. And only got them because Lebron chose Miami.

« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2022, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Riley doesn't, he has 2 as an executive. And only got them because Lebron chose Miami.

Riley was coach and team president in 2006-2007 (he’s been team president since 1995, so he’s done two separate stints as coach/GM and believe he’s the last person to successfully do that in the NBA, or at least do it and win a title). And Riley successfully pitched LeBron on Miami, not the other way around. I know we like to hate Riley for being the Showtime Coach, but Danny is a baby compared to Riley. Respect for and fear of that man. He almost got us this year even.

« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2022, 10:20:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Okogie went to Phoenix.

« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Cody Martin 4yr $32mil to stay in Charlotte.

« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2022, 11:25:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Cody Martin 4yr $32mil to stay in Charlotte.
That's an important signing now that Bridges is likely gone

« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2022, 07:26:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Tacko Fall to Utah..hope big guy makes it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Tacko Fall to Utah..hope big guy makes it

Danny giving him another chance.

« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Riley was coach and team president in 2006-2007 (he’s been team president since 1995, so he’s done two separate stints as coach/GM and believe he’s the last person to successfully do that in the NBA, or at least do it and win a title). And Riley successfully pitched LeBron on Miami, not the other way around. I know we like to hate Riley for being the Showtime Coach, but Danny is a baby compared to Riley. Respect for and fear of that man. He almost got us this year even.

I'd have to say if you give me a choice of Prime Riley or Prime Ainge I'd pick Riley.  Ainge is no bum but you have to give Riley some credit.  Drafts well.  picked up Strus when the C's dropped him.  Found other g league players.  Stuck with Spol when he almost got fired but hired him.  It's a well run organization who gets the most out of it's players.   Ainge taking the chance on Kyrie when there were already rumors that he was not good for a locker room is a huge deciding factor.  Lots of draft misses and mistakes.  I think this is a pretty easy call.

« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2022, 11:06:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'd have to say if you give me a choice of Prime Riley or Prime Ainge I'd pick Riley.  Ainge is no bum but you have to give Riley some credit.  Drafts well.  picked up Strus when the C's dropped him.  Found other g league players.  Stuck with Spol when he almost got fired but hired him.  It's a well run organization who gets the most out of it's players.   Ainge taking the chance on Kyrie when there were already rumors that he was not good for a locker room is a huge deciding factor.  Lots of draft misses and mistakes.  I think this is a pretty easy call.
I give Riley less credit than Ainge because it's easier to attract free agents or players with enough clout to force a trade to South Beach.

Mourning, Shaq, Lebron, Bosh, Butler, Ray Allen, Haslem, etc. They played in Miami because they were attracted more to the city and culture of Miami, not because Riley is some genius GM.

It's pretty easy to be a good GM in Miami and LA.

« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2022, 12:19:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Serge Ibaka is returning to the Bucks on a one-year deal, per @Shams Charania. pic.twitter.com/ifp7wWKZcY

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes