Author Topic: Heat (2-1) at Celtics (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/23/22  (Read 35322 times)

Re: Heat (2-1) at Celtics (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/23/22
« Reply #885 on: May 24, 2022, 04:22:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
So the FTA was 36 Boston, 14 Miami, a ratio of 2.6 to 1 in favor of Boston.  From a fouls called standpoint, it was Miami 26 Fouls and Boston 15 Fouls, a ratio of 1.7 to 1 in favor of Boston.  What this says is that not only did Miami have more fouls called on them but a higher percentage led to FTs for Boston.

I had the opportunity to watch this game pretty closely.  I felt there were a few light calls on Miami but overall, I did not see anything egregiously unbalanced in what was being called a foul.

For the series, the attempts are 123 Boston to 84 Miami.  Fouls called are 92 against Miami, 80 against Boston.   Those are both much more even for the series overall than for just the last game.

I can understand how the Miami fans feel.  I felt that way against MIL but in reality both FTAs (145 BOS, 143 MIL) and Fouls (149 against BOS, 140 against MIL) were pretty even.  For the entire playoffs, the Celtics have the most FTA per game of the remaining 4 teams, MIA the fewest, but it is +/- just a couple per game.  Fouls against are even closer, MIA 21.5, BOS 21.8 so we have had more fouls called on us.

The risk here is that the refs take this in and subconsciously or even consciously try to compensate.  They are not oblivious to this information.  I am sure that MIA will get more calls their way next game at least.  We can't let that bother us if it does happen.  Just play through it.

Miami was 6th in PF for the season. C's were 27th I believe. I'm not saying the games were perfectly officiated, but Miami does foul a lot and they're playing UDFA against better talent. These teams are not equal and usually better talent will get the calls.

I agree completely, Miami's style of play leads to a lot of fouls.  And Butler gets as many calls in his favor as anyone.  But I can see how Heat fans would complain (not saying justifiably) and I do fear that there will be some compensation by the refs in the next game.  If we play well though and maybe more importantly don't let it get into our heads, it shouldn't matter.

Re: Heat (2-1) at Celtics (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/23/22
« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
So the FTA was 36 Boston, 14 Miami, a ratio of 2.6 to 1 in favor of Boston.  From a fouls called standpoint, it was Miami 26 Fouls and Boston 15 Fouls, a ratio of 1.7 to 1 in favor of Boston.  What this says is that not only did Miami have more fouls called on them but a higher percentage led to FTs for Boston.

I had the opportunity to watch this game pretty closely.  I felt there were a few light calls on Miami but overall, I did not see anything egregiously unbalanced in what was being called a foul.

For the series, the attempts are 123 Boston to 84 Miami.  Fouls called are 92 against Miami, 80 against Boston.   Those are both much more even for the series overall than for just the last game.

I can understand how the Miami fans feel.  I felt that way against MIL but in reality both FTAs (145 BOS, 143 MIL) and Fouls (149 against BOS, 140 against MIL) were pretty even.  For the entire playoffs, the Celtics have the most FTA per game of the remaining 4 teams, MIA the fewest, but it is +/- just a couple per game.  Fouls against are even closer, MIA 21.5, BOS 21.8 so we have had more fouls called on us.

The risk here is that the refs take this in and subconsciously or even consciously try to compensate.  They are not oblivious to this information.  I am sure that MIA will get more calls their way next game at least.  We can't let that bother us if it does happen.  Just play through it.

Miami was 6th in PF for the season. C's were 27th I believe. I'm not saying the games were perfectly officiated, but Miami does foul a lot and they're playing UDFA against better talent. These teams are not equal and usually better talent will get the calls.

Zach Lowe actually echoed the same sentiments:

https://twitter.com/MyLiveStreamHub/status/1529137603475275777

Zach Lowe: "I've watched these games, I thought last night Boston got a pretty good whistle but not good enough to swing a non game. By the way, I'm sorry to inform Heat fans, your team was 27th in opponent FT rate. You foul. A lot. It's your scheme

They don't understand to get a "fair" whistle the refs would actually have to swallow it and screw Boston in the process.

This series has been consistent with the regular season.

In the RS, Miami's scoring plays were a vast majority of jump shots. Their offense plays to avoid contact with only Jimmy and Bam having a green light inside the arch, every other player is outside the arch. Except for Herro, they don't even drive on closeouts, they force a contested shot or pass.

That offense plays right into our hands, especially in the playoffs with the one day of rest schedule. Their success is contingent on getting hot from outside with only Jimmy and Bam shooting high % shots.

In the RS, our scoring plays came from all around the court. With Heat players being aggressive, constantly reaching for steals, and prone to fouling, we are taking advantage of it and getting into the penalty early. Our offense is more versatile, defense is cleaner, and team is better.