Author Topic: Tatum 1st team All NBA  (Read 6650 times)

Re: Tatum 1st team All NBA
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A change to allow three front court players instead of a mandatory center may make sense.

It might, but then there are also teams that start three players generally considers as guards, so that isn’t necessarily representative either.  And the Celtics I guess start four frontcourt players by All-NBA standards, as Jaylen was considered a forward by voters.

That said, I’m okay with positions, personally, because I think there are at time baises in favor of or against certain positions.  Should we have 5 or 6 all-NBA players be centers because that position has an advantage in some counting stats, simply based on the proximity of that position to the rim?

I do think if you get votes at more than one position you should get All-NBA based on your point total versus all other players who received votes at that position, and not your “majority” position.
I'd be fine with that if they actually only let you vote for positions that the players actually played.  Neither Embiid nor Jokic played any time at forward this year.  Counting them as forwards was ridiculous.  Just as it was to count DeRozan as a guard or Tatum as a guard in years past.  Counting Jaylen as a forward or guard makes sense as he legitimately played both and did so for extensive minutes.  Someone like Tim Duncan in the past played both center and forward, let him get votes at either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Tatum 1st team All NBA
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
A change to allow three front court players instead of a mandatory center may make sense.

It might, but then there are also teams that start three players generally considers as guards, so that isn’t necessarily representative either.  And the Celtics I guess start four frontcourt players by All-NBA standards, as Jaylen was considered a forward by voters.

That said, I’m okay with positions, personally, because I think there are at time baises in favor of or against certain positions.  Should we have 5 or 6 all-NBA players be centers because that position has an advantage in some counting stats, simply based on the proximity of that position to the rim?

I do think if you get votes at more than one position you should get All-NBA based on your point total versus all other players who received votes at that position, and not your “majority” position.
I'd be fine with that if they actually only let you vote for positions that the players actually played.  Neither Embiid nor Jokic played any time at forward this year.  Counting them as forwards was ridiculous.  Just as it was to count DeRozan as a guard or Tatum as a guard in years past.  Counting Jaylen as a forward or guard makes sense as he legitimately played both and did so for extensive minutes.  Someone like Tim Duncan in the past played both center and forward, let him get votes at either.

I don’t disagree.  The NBA has the data about positions to make players eligible at the positions they play, and they should do so.  Maybe a 20-25% of minutes cutoff.