Author Topic: Phoenix Suns Cap Dilemma  (Read 2750 times)

Phoenix Suns Cap Dilemma
« on: May 14, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I don’t think NBA journalists are focusing enough on the future of the Phoenix Suns core group.

Robert Sarver has always been and will always be cheap.

Devin Booker is almost guaranteed to qualify for a super-max contract, Chris Paul is on the books for 30 + million until 2024-25 and although undervalued, Mikal Bridges is making over 20 million past 2025/26.

The odd man out has to be Deandre Ayton.

The Suns will be over the cap in 2022-23, before Ayton is added to the equation.

I can honestly see the Suns flipping Ayton for multiple pieces (role players + picks), especially if they fail to win the title this season.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 07:17:37 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Phoenix Suns Cap Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder if something around a framework of Ayton for Scottie Barnes would appeal to any
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 08:05:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I wonder if something around a framework of Ayton for Scottie Barnes would appeal to any
I don't think Ayton has enough value to net Scottie Barnes.

Ayton is more OG Anunoby than Scottie Barnes.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 08:16:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I'd love Ayton, but I wouldn't want to give up Rob, which is probably what it would take. If there was some way to do it with Smart as the main piece I'm there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Also, if they lose game 7 to the Mavs and Paul is once again not very good, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to move him to a contender and get some younger cheaper pieces.  No point hanging on to Paul on a team that is topped out.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I definitely have been monitoring this. I don't think Ayton is a great fit for the Cs (and frankly, I'm not a fan of his no-free-throw-no-blocked-shots game), but I could see a few teams making sense.

Rockets with Shamet for Gordon and Wood.

Knicks for Noel, Gibson, Quickly

Thunder for Favors and Bazely/Dort

Kings for Holmes and Holliday

Spurs for Richardson and Poetl

Wizards with Shamet for KCP, Gafford, and Kuzma/Rui

As you can see, I don't value the things that he brings. I believe that he benefits immensely from his system. His lack of shot-blocking and free throw rate are alarming for a man that should be the biggest and strongest player on the court. I believe the Suns could get a close approximation of what he brings as a finisher/scorer while getting a decent rim protector. I believe their defenders do the majority of the work. Meanwhile, I think the Suns could get an upgrade to Shamet and/or Payne in the process.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd love Ayton, but I wouldn't want to give up Rob, which is probably what it would take. If there was some way to do it with Smart as the main piece I'm there.

Not sure I follow your logic completely. I don't really think Ayton and Rob can play together. This throws the roster out of balance.

I just don't like his game at all. He reminds me a lot of Jonas Valancunas. That's a fine player, but I'm not really sure how much he adds to this team, and I feel like he would take something away.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:09 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I figure they'll eventually bite the bullet and keep Ayton while sending next year's first somewhere to salary-dump Saric. Might also wind up with either Jae Crowder or Torrey Craig winding up available though, and either would be an interesting candidate for Boston's TPEs.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 10:06:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Ayton frustrates the hell out of me.  Every time I watch him, I'm struck by his tools.  Size, fluid athleticism, hands, touch, footwork.  He has everything you want in a dominant big man except perhaps rim protection (he's a solid defender but not a shotblocker).  He just... doesn't want to dominate.  He has no aggression.  He should be a #2 option offensively, maybe even a #1 in time.  But he'd rather be a roleplayer.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 10:16:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What??? Scottie Barnes is waaaayy more valuable than Ayton. Barnes is gonna be a star.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 10:44:53 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I figure they'll eventually bite the bullet and keep Ayton while sending next year's first somewhere to salary-dump Saric. Might also wind up with either Jae Crowder or Torrey Craig winding up available though, and either would be an interesting candidate for Boston's TPEs.

Ayton will want the max or close to it. If he becomes a restricted free agent, some team will make that offer, so it’s match or lose him.

If the Suns keep Ayton and salary dump their role players, they can only get worse then they are this season.

What should have happened was Chris Paul taking a huge pay cut last year instead of his 4 years 120 million deal. The guy says he’s desperate to win a title but takes an enormous wage when he’s already made hundreds of millions during his career.

Chris Paul has made the Suns a title threat and ironically prevented them from putting together a championship roster. This is one of the reasons why I can’t consider him the greatest pure point guard of all-time. John Stockton actually took pay cuts to keep his roster together.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:55:08 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 12:42:11 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Ayton will want the max or close to it. If he becomes a restricted free agent, some team will make that offer, so it’s match or lose him.

If the Suns keep Ayton and salary dump their role players, they can only get worse then they are this season.

What should have happened was Chris Paul taking a huge pay cut last year instead of his 4 years 120 million deal. The guy says he’s desperate to win a title but takes an enormous wage when he’s already made hundreds of millions during his career.

Chris Paul has made the Suns a title threat and ironically prevented them from putting together a championship roster. This is one of the reasons why I can’t consider him the greatest pure point guard of all-time. John Stockton actually took pay cuts to keep his roster together.
CP3 was the president of players union for like a decade. He’s not taking a sweetheart cheapo deal to win. That would be a pretty bad look for him to not take the max extension.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 07:51:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I still don't know why if they had to choose, why they'd choose to get rid of the 23 year old big man instead of the 37 year old PG.

If you could make the salary work,, Paul to Miami for Herro and Robinson.  Who says no?  As an example.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 07:53:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
CP3 is only guaranteed through next season. After that, they can waive him and only pay him $15.8M of the $60.8M remaining on his contract. At which point, he will be 38 years old. I understand that Suns ownership is not big on going into the tax, but it makes way too much sense for them to do it for 22-23 (or at least sell off a couple of role players to bring the number down a bit). If not, they will not only be screwing themselves next year, but for years to come.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still don't know why if they had to choose, why they'd choose to get rid of the 23 year old big man instead of the 37 year old PG.

If you could make the salary work,, Paul to Miami for Herro and Robinson.  Who says no?  As an example.

That seems like a strange trade for both sides. Miami get a 37 y/o PG for their 22 y/o borderline All-Star, and PHX gets the privilege of overpaying for Robinson and then giving Herro the money they could just give Ayton.