Author Topic: Time for a real closer... Marcus smart and RW for Lillard... too soon?  (Read 4350 times)

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I know we all want to do something that gets us over the hump, but lets give our guys the next game to figure it out.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It isn't particularly realistic given the philosophy of defence and switching that both Brad and Ime have.

We actually don't lose a lot on D because Grant is now a starter and can cover bigs and guards....

Um, you may want to repeat what you just said out loud.

By trading the DPOY and a 1st or 2nd Team All-Defensive Team member in Smart and Timelord, respectively, for one of the worst defensive guards in the league, we somehow don't lose a lot on D?

To tell you the truth, I don't trust RW to stay healthy, once his athleticism goes, there's not much to his game. The most amount of games he's ever played was 62 this year, and he already has a knee injury. He was also injured in college .

I also don't see him as some dominant defensive force. Giannis abused him every time he was guarded by RW.

I would use him as a trade chip to get a 3rd stud while his value is still high...

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It isn't particularly realistic given the philosophy of defence and switching that both Brad and Ime have.

We actually don't lose a lot on D because Grant is now a starter and can cover bigs and guards....

By trading the DPOY and a 1st or 2nd Team All-Defensive Team member in Smart and Timelord, respectively, for one of the worst defensive guards in the league, we somehow don't lose a lot on D?

To tell you the truth, I don't trust RW to stay healthy, once his athleticism goes, there's not much to his game. The most amount of games he's ever played was 62 this year, and he already has a knee injury. He was so injured in college .

I also don't see him as some dominant defensive force. Giannis abused him every time he was guarded by RW.

I would use him as a trade chip to get a 3rd stud while his value is still high...
You not seeing him as a dominant defensive force isn't really relevant, because he IS one
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This makes some of my worst trade ideas look reasonable.

Lillard is not getting us past the Bucks. We just need one more guy who can shoot while retaining everyone else. Give it another year of growth/chemistry/cohesion and we’ll be able to take them. Jrue is almost 32 and bound to lose a step or two. In less than 365 days, Tatum may become the best basketball player in the world. We have many reasons to be positive. If we lose, they’re probably going to win the title again, so we’ll dethrone them next year. It’s like when the crown was handed from the Pistons to the Bulls. We’re possibly in the series before the series in which we end their reign.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:19:27 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

To tell you the truth, I don't trust RW to stay healthy, once his athleticism goes, there's not much to his game. The most amount of games he's ever played was 62 this year, and he already has a knee injury. He was so injured in college .

You not seeing him as a dominant defensive force isn't really relevant, because he IS one

Not if he's injured,  which will come with his style of play... he is basically an injury prone DeAndre Jordan type...

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Not if he's injured,  which will come with his style of play... he is basically an injury prone DeAndre Jordan type...

You clearly have not seen Williams play. In fact you haven't even seen Lillards play this year before he had to get shut down. Relax Hondo, as bad as things are, Celtics aren't done yet. Relax on these overreactive threads. (At least for now. ;) )

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yet you want Damian Lillard... a small guard who is just about to turn 32, coming off a long-term injury, who is owed almost $150m

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Might want to check this out.   

LAS VEGAS — Robert Williams’ first Celtics experience ended Sunday night with the rookie center still on the bench, unable to play in his fifth straight game because of pain in his left knee.

But Williams insists the pain from a contusion suffered on opening night of the NBA Summer League is not related to a deeper, potentially more insidious problem. He was diagnosed in college with popliteal artery entrapment syndrome, a condition that can restrict blood flow to his lower legs and cause cramping due to compression of the main arteries running along the backs of his knees.

Williams, and Celtics management, deny that the condition will impact his NBA career

From 2018

I would use him as a trade chip while his value is relatively high....

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Oh my…talk about an over reaction. One bad game doesn’t define these guys.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Might want to check this out.   

LAS VEGAS — Robert Williams’ first Celtics experience ended Sunday night with the rookie center still on the bench, unable to play in his fifth straight game because of pain in his left knee.

But Williams insists the pain from a contusion suffered on opening night of the NBA Summer League is not related to a deeper, potentially more insidious problem. He was diagnosed in college with popliteal artery entrapment syndrome, a condition that can restrict blood flow to his lower legs and cause cramping due to compression of the main arteries running along the backs of his knees.

Williams, and Celtics management, deny that the condition will impact his NBA career

From 2018

I would use him as a trade chip while his value is relatively high....

I'd say sleep on this. It's bad they lost, but they play on Friday. If it makes you feel better, both teams exchanged collapses and blowouts. Don't think this is over yet.

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I wouldn't take on Dame with that contract until we see him be Dame again. too much risk
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Might be a slight overreaction?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, if we want to jettison the defensive identity that actually makes us a contender, I guess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Well, if we want to jettison the defensive identity that actually makes us a contender, I guess.
In that case let's trade Brown for KAT while we're at it. All offence!

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart should bounce back. This was never going to be an easy series for him.