Author Topic: chances we win in 2020 if Horford was re-signed?  (Read 2811 times)

Re: chances we win in 2020 if Horford was re-signed?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Hindsight is 20-20 so let me refresh our collective memories:

- When Horford signed that contract with the Sixers the entire league thought it was an overpay.
- No one thought Horford would look this fresh at age 35. The first year of that Sixers deal, people were saying he was washed up.
- Kemba's knee gave out mid-season of his first year with us. Prior to that he was awesome (started the all-star game) and looked like a perfect fit for this team.
- Rozier was awful the last year of his rookie deal and pretty much everyone wanted him gone. Someone on these forums literally said "If they re-sign Rozier I will punch someone's baby." Tommy Point to whoever can find that comment.

From Silky
June 6, 2019

If rozier is back on this team next year as the result of kyrie leaving I will be super angry.

If Rozier starts in place of brown or smart imma punch someones baby

How are you able to find old quotes like this? I haven't been able to find anything without the search feature. Did the search feature move?

Bookmark this comment homie, only way I remember them.

Members list:  https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?action=mlist

Search function:  https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?action=search

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 11:02:03 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Our team might have needed some seasoning still.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 11:31:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
We were two games away from the finals that year, and I just think Horford would have made a much bigger difference in those playoffs than Kemba, especially against teams like Miami and Toronto. And could have potentially been huge in a finals matchup against Anthony Davis and the Lakers.

Letting Horford walk and signing Kemba was a colossal mistake by Danny Ainge. I understand he didn't want to overpay him at the time, but he doesn't seem over paid now, does he?

Yes it was a colossal mistake.  A mistake very comparable to the mistake I made of not playing the numbers 15-19-20-61-70-9 in the last Mega Millions lottery.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 11:59:38 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We were two games away from the finals that year, and I just think Horford would have made a much bigger difference in those playoffs than Kemba, especially against teams like Miami and Toronto. And could have potentially been huge in a finals matchup against Anthony Davis and the Lakers.

Letting Horford walk and signing Kemba was a colossal mistake by Danny Ainge. I understand he didn't want to overpay him at the time, but he doesn't seem over paid now, does he?

Yes it was a colossal mistake.  A mistake very comparable to the mistake I made of not playing the numbers 15-19-20-61-70-9 in the last Mega Millions lottery.

Did you at least pick 15-19-20-61-70-8  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 08:18:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The plan was very much signing Kemba AND re-signing Horford. I don't know why people are painting it as an either/or. Al just decided to take his talents to South Philly.

I also think people are vastly underestimating Kemba's impact on that team and the gravity he still possessed in regard to other teams defenses. Even though people seemingly want to re-write history, they can't take away the fact that he literally started the All-Star game that season.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:21:22 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The plan was very much signing Kemba AND re-signing Horford. I don't know why people are painting it as an either/or. Al just decided to take his talents to South Philly.

I also think people are vastly underestimating Kemba's impact on that team and the gravity he still possessed in regards other teams defenses. Even though people seemingly want to re-write history, they can't take away the fact that he literally started the All-Star game that season.

Because all-star status has always been different than winning, and Kemba as a player could never win an NBA title as a top 3 player on a team. Ever.

It would be different if he also had NBA playoff level ball handling and decision making skills. That can happen with second tier players, like Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups. But he never had that. He was always shaky under pressure. He was an exciting scorer, and that gets you to an all-star game, but you need more for a title.

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I also think people are vastly underestimating Kemba's impact on that team and the gravity he still possessed in regards other teams defenses. Even though people seemingly want to re-write history, they can't take away the fact that he literally started the All-Star game that season.

Because all-star status has always been different than winning, and Kemba as a player could never win an NBA title as a top 3 player on a team. Ever.

It would be different if he also had NBA playoff level ball handling and decision making skills. That can happen with second tier players, like Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups. But he never had that. He was always shaky under pressure. He was an exciting scorer, and that gets you to an all-star game, but you need more for a title.
Of course he could win as a top 3 player, the simple reality is that neither Tatum nor Brown were good enough players for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2022, 09:50:09 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  If having  Horford gets Brad to be able to get a single player not named Hayward to go to the free throw line to break a simple zone we’re in the finals. I’ve never seen packing it in from a celts team or coach like that. That’s CYO stuff. Brad did t even bother to use challenges.

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah, the Kemba signing was technically a sign-and-trade with Rozier.

In hindsight, we'd rather have just had Rozier but at the time, he had definitely chosen to leave. Getting Kemba for him instead of losing him for nothing was the better move.

The biggest problem the '20 Celtics had against the Heat was they had no one who could handle Bam. He was 22-11 on .608 shooting. Horford definitely would've done a better job than that and I think Horford also would've helped them keep their composure during the Toronto series.

And then, does that Celtic team beat the Lakers? Yeah, I think they do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 03:38:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Agreed, TP. Those two guys were also very good defensively in their prime as well. If you are a small guard that starts in the NBA, you have to be able to do multiple things at a high level.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.