Author Topic: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion  (Read 66853 times)

Re: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2022, 03:47:48 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bruce Brown post play-in win: “They have less of a presence in the paint and we are going to attack Horford and Theis.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KgJV15tEfLs

I'm only reading this guy's comment and I already hate him

He was just being a bit too honest, he is from Dorchie after all  ;D

Here's KD's take, grizzled old vet that he is.

So when Durant heard Nets guard Bruce Brown's critique of the Boston Celtics, saying that the Nets can attack them down low in their upcoming Eastern Conference quarterfinals series because of the absence of Celtics big man Robert Williams III, Durant was quick to rebuke his young teammate's comments.

"We respect our opponents," Durant said after the Nets finished off a 115-108 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Tuesday night's play-in game. "We don't need to talk about what we're going to do to them. I just don't like that, but that's how Bruce is. He comes in and keeps the same energy throughout the whole season so -- but we don't need to say s--- like that. Let's just go out there and hoop."

Brown's comments came after he was asked what he felt the biggest key will be to slowing down the Celtics in the series, which starts in Boston on Sunday afternoon.

"We can't let [Jayson] Tatum get 50," Brown said. "We got to be physical with them. Now they don't have Robert Williams, so they have less of a presence in the paint, and we could attack Al Horford and [Daniel] Theis. So them not having Robert Williams is huge."

Durant, who took the dais for the postgame news conference after Brown did, had already been tipped off that Brown had said something he wouldn't appreciate.

"What did Bruce Brown say when he got up here?" Durant asked the assembled media. "He said something I didn't like, somebody just told me."

When told of Brown's comments, Durant tried to walk them back.

"That's caffeine pride talking," Durant said. "He takes something before the game. Those two dudes [Horford and Theis] can do the same stuff. It ain't going to be that easy, I tell you that."

Video at https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33727973/brooklyn-nets-kevin-durant-irked-bruce-brown-critique-boston-celtics-big-men

Thanks for the context, tp.

Keep saying, Durant seems to love basketball a lot. I just can't hate him as much as other people do.

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2022, 06:10:40 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
The C’s should have tanked the last game. Certainly the World Champs were smart enough to do it. Now the Nets add Simmons to play defense against Tatum while Williams is out.

I would rather play Toronto and Miami versus Brooklyn and the Bucks.

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2022, 06:13:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The C’s should have tanked the last game. Certainly the World Champs were smart enough to do it. Now the Nets add Simmons to play defense against Tatum while Williams is out.

I would rather play Toronto and Miami versus Brooklyn and the Bucks.
Sorry, but the whole storyline of the Nets magically adding the Simmons of old is tosh. He's yet to be cleared for contact training, so the Simmons that will come up against us will be someone we will be glad to have on the floor. Who would you rather deal with - 50% of Ben Simmons, or Patty Mills?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2022, 06:27:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It's awesome that Boston worked so hard and did so well in order to earn the No. 2 seed and get rewarded with a cupca—

Wait, they play the Nets in the first round?!? :(

...and the defending champs in the second round!

Has the No. 2 seed ever been such a nonpositive thing? lol

It’s a terrible draw and the possibility that they have a uniquely intense first round followed by the Bucks having a relatively easy time is unfortunate. But you also never know till it plays out.  It’s fair to say that the 2007-8 Celtics had a heck of a time in the first round v. #8 Atlanta.

I’m expecting a very tough first round and I don’t see how it doesn’t take a toll on the Cs.  But I’m looking forward to seeing it play out.

True, we don't know until we know. And I remember that 07-08 battle against the Hawks (of course, I would argue that Boston should not have had such a hard time against Atlanta in that series, but I digress).

Time will tell, and I understand certain rah-rah talk about how playing and beating such a tough team in the first round could propel Boston to greater heights, but I still say it's a bad draw and certainly not the way "the system" is supposed to work. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to it; I mean, if the Cs win the series, great, but they could be worn out and then have to play the reigning champs; and if they lose to the Nets, well ... that would be regrettable, in many ways.

It would have been fun to shellack the Bulls in round 1. But this just means there will be better games played sooner. I expect a lot of high-level playmaking on both sides. Not guaranteeing a win or anything like it, but if I had to bet I would like our odds - and there’s a real chance to see a passing of the torch - if Tatum is at his very best, we will get to see him take Durant’s place at the top of the league.

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2022, 06:42:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Here’s my fearless, baseless prediction for how the series will go:
- C’s win Game 1. Steady win but it’s a good game with a lot of back and forth
- Nets win Game 2. The doomsayers come out in full force. Boston is allegedly done
- C’s win a nail biter of a Game 3. Lots of people whining over some controversy. Probably Smart-related
- C’s win Game 4 and now people are saying the Nets are done
- KD goes off but the rest of the Nets are flat. C’s win a closer-than-should’ve-been Game 5. Kyrie speaks condescendingly of Boston in his post game presser. 

Let’s go C’s!
- LilRip

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2022, 07:42:21 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Nets defense and Steve Nash are exposed during this series. Celtics put up over 120 points per game. Celtics in 6

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2022, 08:03:12 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is the "Discussion" thread not the "Prediction" thread so I am not going to make a specific prediction.  The game against the Cavs very much paralleled the Nets season.  They showed the ability to turn it on and dominate going up 40-20 at the end of the first and also that they are vulnerable or will lose their edge some as the Cavs were able to get back into it.

I still don't know which team the Celtics are going to have to deal with, the team that outscored the Cavs 40-20 in the first period or the team that was outscored by the Cavs 88-75 for the rest of the game.  I would like to think that the Nets won't be able to put up 40 points in a quarter against the Celtics defense.

I guess the good news from the Cavs game is that other than the first period, the Cavs did show that they could play with the Nets, even with both Durant and Irving having good games.  Maybe there was some jitters by the Cavs to start the game.  Celtics can't let that happen.  And even if we do have a bad quarter, that is not going to impact the whole series.

What a tough first round match up for the Celtics as the 2 seed.  This is not supposed to happen.  This may be our toughest series and the rest of the playoffs may be upside down for us.  By that I mean our toughest match up is round 1 and then MIL may be harder than MIA and MIA may be harder than whoever we beat in the finals.  The playoffs may get easier each round for us not harder.

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

I still don't know which team the Celtics are going to have to deal with, the team that outscored the Cavs 40-20 in the first period or the team that was outscored by the Cavs 88-75 for the rest of the game.  I would like to think that the Nets won't be able to put up 40 points in a quarter against the Celtics defense.

I'm thinking that the first quarter of the first game is going to be telling. The Nets are no doubt going to come out hard, while the Celtics may be a bit rusty, having had two extra days off. If the Cs escape that first quarter without too much damage, they should be in good shape.

My other thought is the bench. PP and GWill have been fantastic in the second half of the season. If they can maintain form going into the playoffs, it's going to be a fun series.

Mike

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm thinking that the first quarter of the first game is going to be telling. The Nets are no doubt going to come out hard, while the Celtics may be a bit rusty, having had two extra days off. If the Cs escape that first quarter without too much damage, they should be in good shape.

My other thought is the bench. PP and GWill have been fantastic in the second half of the season. If they can maintain form going into the playoffs, it's going to be a fun series.

Mike
The Celtics may be rusty, but their stars will also be fresh - both Kyrie and KD have averaged 40+MPG in April. I don't know if they can sustain that

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2022, 09:13:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Here's the tentative schedule in terms of dates:

The first three games will really be drawn out. Multiple days off between each games.

April 27 is Game 5 which would be 4 weeks after Timelord's injury, which is also in the 4-6 week timeline range for Timelord's return. I think there's a real shot Timelord could be back by a Game 6 given the timeline and all the reports being true that he's progressing and suffering no setbacks in rehab
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2022, 09:28:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The first three games will really be drawn out. Multiple days off between each games.

April 27 is Game 5 which would be 4 weeks after Timelord's injury, which is also in the 4-6 week timeline range for Timelord's return. I think there's a real shot Timelord could be back by a Game 6 given the timeline and all the reports being true that he's progressing and suffering no setbacks in rehab
Usually hate 3 day gaps between games in a series, but with us expecting Timelord back I'm more than happy. It also might lure them into playing a completely underdone Simmons

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Get well Soon Rob !  :)

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It would be an amazing run to go through Nets, Bucks, Heat, then Warriors for a championship. Not saying it is a sure thing, C's could fall to Nets even. Yet those wins would say so much about this team's transformation. It would truly be the greatest turn around I have ever seen any sport. It's a Hockey run X2 and would probably go down as the greatest NBA run to a chip. Good luck Celtics!

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Usually hate 3 day gaps between games in a series, but with us expecting Timelord back I'm more than happy. It also might lure them into playing a completely underdone Simmons

If Rob can make it back in 4 weeks from his injury (3/27), he would be available to play by Game 5, which would be fantastic.  I just hope they don't rush him back too early at the risk of re-injuring himself.  He plays so hard.

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I’m not a fan of it, personally.  I’d rather the Nets have to pay for playing KD and Kyrie 40+ minutes every night, but with this schedule, they won’t.