Author Topic: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?  (Read 10354 times)

Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?
« on: March 15, 2022, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ESPN has an article highlighting Ryan Turell:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33509133/yeshiva-university-ryan-turell-nation-leading-college-basketball-scorer-enter-2022-nba-draft-aims-league-first-orthodox-jew-player

Turell is the leading scorer in college basketball across all divisions, averaging 27.1 points while shooting 47% from 3. His team won the Skyline Conference championship, winning 50 consecutive games spanning from November 2019 to December 2021 and at one time being ranked No. 1 in the country in Division III.

Turell is attempting to become the first Orthodox Jewish player in the NBA. He wears a yarmulke (a head covering Orthodox Jewish men wear) on the basketball court when he plays, and he said he plans on continuing do so as a professional.

"Being the first Orthodox Jew in the NBA would mean the world to me, and a dream come true, God willing. But, just as importantly, it would mean the world to others that never saw this as a possibility."

Turell is a two-time conference player of the year, and the leading scorer in Yeshiva history with more than 2000 points, despite both his sophomore and junior seasons being shortened by COVID. Turell has been thoroughly scouted by NBA teams this season, with several owners, executives and former players attending games in New York to watch him in person.

Turell's ability to make shots in a variety of situations at 6-foot-7, be it running off screens, pulling up in transition, or spacing the floor from well beyond the NBA 3-point line, gives him a coveted niche he could potentially fill at the professional level. His 1.31 points per possessions ranks him as the third most efficient shooter in all of college basketball according to Synergy Sports Technology, including second in shooting off screens.

Turell is not currently projected to be selected, but could gain steam during the pre-draft process in private team workouts or showcases like the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, which says he is under consideration to be invited to. Scouts will scrutinize his ability to continue to score prolifically against bigger and longer players as the level of competition rises, as well as hold his own on the defensive end.

"I want to get into as many NBA gyms as possible and show them what I can do. I've got to knock down shots and be a great defender and teammate."

I don't know a ton about Orthodox customs, other than knowing that travel / playing / practicing is prohibited on Shabbat.  Is something like that doable in professional sports?  I know it came up with Sandy Koufax, but that was 60 years ago. 

I hope this kid makes it.  He apparently has some options in DI but decided to follow his faith to a DIII school, where he's absolutely dominant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Would a team draft an Orthodox Jew (Ryan Turell)?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
If he's got the talent to contribute someone will take a flier on him. I mean, they let a guy skip half the games bc  he wanted to stand up for the rights if anyivaxers. Having a guy sit out once a week, be it game or practice shouldn't be to big of a hurdle to overcome.

Again, if he has the talent. Sounds like he can shoot but wonder about his defense. Prolly will need time at the NBA level to grow and adjust to the speed and strength of NBA players.

Maybe he'll be available for our 2nd round pick....

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he's got the talent to contribute someone will take a flier on him. I mean, they let a guy skip half the games bc  he wanted to stand up for the rights if anyivaxers. Having a guy sit out once a week, be it game or practice shouldn't be to big of a hurdle to overcome.

Again, if he has the talent. Sounds like he can shoot but wonder about his defense. Prolly will need time at the NBA level to grow and adjust to the speed and strength of NBA players.

Maybe he'll be available for our 2nd round pick....

The article had me at "6'7"" and "shooter".  If he's undrafted, give him a camp invite.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
It ultimately depends how he interprets the restrictions placed upon his Shabbat activities.  I’ve had Orthodox friends who were fine getting into a car and going somewhere so long as I drove, so that they weren’t the person pushing the gas pedal.  (We also had to make sure the light wouldn’t turn on when they opened the car door). Another friend looked on that practice with some scorn.

So it’s possible he’d be okay traveling and playing on Fridays and Saturdays, because he’s not turning on the arena lights or flying the plane.  If so, I don’t think it’d be an issue at all.  But if from sundown to sundown he can neither play nor travel with the team to a different city, that’s going to be very tricky, and I think ultimately will hinder his career.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 01:02:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If Royce White could get drafted in the first round despite being afraid of flying, then I don't see why not. As long as they are good enough, some team will take a chance.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
If Royce White could get drafted in the first round despite being afraid of flying, then I don't see why not. As long as they are good enough, some team will take a chance.

I'm not sure Royce White set a precedent that anyone wants to point to.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 01:21:59 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Turell is attempting to become the first Orthodox Jewish player in the NBA. He wears a yarmulke (a head covering Orthodox Jewish men wear) on the basketball court when he plays, and he said he plans on continuing do so as a professional.

Honest question with no absolutely offense intended. Could a yarmulke be a safety hazard? How much would it take to be knocked off his head? Wouldn't a sweaty piece of cloth on the court be a tripping hazard?

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Honest question with no absolutely offense intended. Could a yarmulke be a safety hazard? How much would it take to be knocked off his head? Wouldn't a sweaty piece of cloth on the court be a tripping hazard?

My guess is no, because I would imagine if he’s been playing basketball with one for years, even at the D3 level, that he’s figured out how to secure it by now.  They’re legal in FIBA play.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 01:49:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Headbands would be the same.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

My guess is no, because I would imagine if he’s been playing basketball with one for years, even at the D3 level, that he’s figured out how to secure it by now.  They’re legal in FIBA play.

Got it, makes sense.

Headbands would be the same.

Didn't think of that either.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
He'd miss Friday night and Saturday day games as long as he could figure out the travel and the team was ok with him not showing up for a 24 hour period (and it is more than actually traveling, but how to operate when traveling, like could he stay in a hotel Friday night and all day Saturday or would that cause him an issue - that is what would need to be worked out).  It probably wouldn't be that hard to justify for a team if he was good enough and it isn't like many games are played on Saturday afternoons anyway (this isn't college football).  The occasional missed Friday night game wouldn't be a big deal as long as he was ok playing Saturday games with 7 or 730 start times.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 02:26:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regardless of religion, he has to be good enough to begin with to make a team...and the track record of players putting up lots of points on DIII teams and making NBA rosters isn't a good one.

Let's get through that hurdle first, then the discussion can go to whether the team will keep him on the roster long term due to his availability issues caused by his religion.

If you have the talent, I don't think the NBA cares if you are white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, Methodist, Baptist, Buddhist, gay, heterosexual, or anything else.

If you can play, a team will find a spot for you. Exhibit #1: Kyrie Irving this year.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 02:39:41 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'm not sure Royce White set a precedent that anyone wants to point to.

For a first rounder, sure. But as a second rounder I don't see teams passing on him if they think he can play
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
He'd miss Friday night and Saturday day games as long as he could figure out the travel and the team was ok with him not showing up for a 24 hour period (and it is more than actually traveling, but how to operate when traveling, like could he stay in a hotel Friday night and all day Saturday or would that cause him an issue - that is what would need to be worked out).  It probably wouldn't be that hard to justify for a team if he was good enough and it isn't like many games are played on Saturday afternoons anyway (this isn't college football).  The occasional missed Friday night game wouldn't be a big deal as long as he was ok playing Saturday games with 7 or 730 start times.

He says he’d walk to Friday night games and play.  I think the big problem is travel, as NBA teams travel frequently on Friday and Saturday.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 02:54:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

He says he’d walk to Friday night games and play.  I think the big problem is travel, as NBA teams travel frequently on Friday and Saturday.
Well if he'll play than it really shouldn't be an issue.  He just needs his travel to be completed Friday before sundown.  So as long as he is fine with staying in a hotel on the Sabbath and they can find a hotel close enough to the arena, then he shouldn't have much difficulty at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip