Author Topic: Trade Idea: Pelicans-Hawks  (Read 4528 times)

Trade Idea: Pelicans-Hawks
« on: February 21, 2022, 10:27:18 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not sure if it's been said on this board, but supposedly the Pelicans sent out an email advertisement to ticket holders without mentioning or advertising Zion Williamson at all.

It seems like Zion wants to go to New York, but I got thinking about the other teams poised to make a big move, and the Hawks seem like a very obvious pick. Can you imagine how awesome a Zion-Trae pick-and-roll would be? Can you imagine how hard that would be to stop?

It's a big risk for Atlanta, but they need a legit star to pair with Young, and preferably someone that doesn't operate needing to handle the ball as a guard outside the arc.

I'm not sure what Zion's trade value is, but the Hawks could put together an interesting package without completely decimating their roster.

Collins, Okongwu, 1st and the Hawks take back Graham's bad contract as part of the trade. They could expand the trade too to include Hunter too.

Young-Bogdonavic-Hunter-Zion-Capella

I really hope Zion can get healthy. I like watching great players play basketball.

Re: Trade Idea: Pelicans-Hawks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 12:13:55 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
here is where you put one of the jays on the table, plus

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 09:41:54 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I just don't think that you can give up an all-star for Zion. I get the upside of Zion Williamson, and the injury concerns have been discussed ad nauseam. There's a legit possibility Zion is this generation's great talent that becomes a "what if."

Giving up an all-star is for Zion is something the Knicks would do, and its the reason the Knicks are the Knicks.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The Hawks are in an amazing spot. They could become the next great team or blow it in the next year or so.

If I were them, I'd rather bet on Okongwu becoming a foundational big. To me, they need an elite big guard scorer to take the next step, and they have assets to get that guy. Collins plus other assets excluding Hunter should get it done.

Curious what others think. Zion has MVP level talent, but I'd bet that in 3 years, Okongwu is a near all-star and Zion isn't in the league.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 11:04:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I just don't think that you can give up an all-star for Zion. I get the upside of Zion Williamson, and the injury concerns have been discussed ad nauseam. There's a legit possibility Zion is this generation's great talent that becomes a "what if."

Giving up an all-star is for Zion is something the Knicks would do, and its the reason the Knicks are the Knicks.
why would they trade Zion without getting at least an all star back though?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

the question isn't so much why NO would make the deal without an all-star in return but what team would be willing to trade an all-star to take on a player with serious health issues and is expecting to hit a major payday with those issues still hanging over him.  Also, what team would have enough talent left after that deal to put around Zion to make it a deal worth making.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

They probably wouldn't, but "All-Star" covers quite a range of talent. They know much more than anyone else about just how problematic this situation is.

From the outside it seems like Zion is showing multiple danger signs. There was a story floating around in the last few days that Zion still hasn't spoken to CJ McCollum since he was acquired by the Pelicans.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I would pass on Zion
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 01:01:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's a big risk for Atlanta, but they need a legit star to pair with Young, and preferably someone that doesn't operate needing to handle the ball as a guard outside the arc.
Is that not who Zion is? Or is becoming?

He was handling the ball more and more out beyond the three point line. He was running PnRs as the ball-handler rather than the role man. He was initiating offense.

Apparently, he played guard in High School. He has a lot of guard skills in terms of handles as well as some passing ability. He sees himself more in that role.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 03:12:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the question isn't so much why NO would make the deal without an all-star in return but what team would be willing to trade an all-star to take on a player with serious health issues and is expecting to hit a major payday with those issues still hanging over him.  Also, what team would have enough talent left after that deal to put around Zion to make it a deal worth making.
Of course that is the question.  New Orleans asking price is really the only relevant thing.  Makes no difference what a team is willing to give up if it doesn't match the asking price.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 03:23:02 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Healthy Zion would be incredible. Broken Zion would be a mess for a franchise for years. No thanks; “broken” is way too likely. Good luck New Orleans.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Atlanta is definitely a team that could potentially have the players/assets to make a deal work, but I really don't like a duo of Young/Williamson for them. 

Depending on where the knicks pick ends up this summer, I think they'd be the most likely destination if Zion is moved this summer.  Something like Toppin, Quickley, Reddish, salary filler (if needed), and then 4 1st's i.e. 22, 24, 26, 28 for Zion and Graham.  The 22 pick may have to be top 4 for New Orleans, but that would start to approach the value I think it would take for New Orleans to even be interested. 

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I definitely wouldn't trade for him unless I got word that he wants to be on that particular team.  Besides the injury concerns, I wouldn't expect him to give a new team a chance if he doesn't really want to be there.  I do love the Young/Williamson duo, especially if Young is willing to share top billing and defer to Williamson a little bit at times, like a good point guard should be able to do.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 04:28:43 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
no risk no gain

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 06:52:12 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Atlanta is definitely a team that could potentially have the players/assets to make a deal work, but I really don't like a duo of Young/Williamson for them. 

Depending on where the knicks pick ends up this summer, I think they'd be the most likely destination if Zion is moved this summer.  Something like Toppin, Quickley, Reddish, salary filler (if needed), and then 4 1st's i.e. 22, 24, 26, 28 for Zion and Graham.  The 22 pick may have to be top 4 for New Orleans, but that would start to approach the value I think it would take for New Orleans to even be interested.

You asked earlier in this same thread why they would trade Zion without getting an all-star back, but this trade definitely does not include an all-star. It include three decent prospects.