Author Topic: Rumor: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?  (Read 6001 times)

Rumor: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?
« on: January 26, 2022, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics called the Houston Rockets about Daniel Theis and did some "due diligence" on the veteran center, HoopsHype's Michael Scotto reported Wednesday.

An undrafted free agent who signed with the C's in 2017, Theis played some of the best basketball of his career in Boston, averaging 9.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game in 2019-20 before the Celtics traded him to the Chicago Bulls in March 2021.

Forsberg: It's decision time for the Celtics and Marcus Smart. A reunion between Theis and C's president of basketball operations Brad Stevens seems unlikely, though. Boston freed up about $3 million in cap space last week by trading Juancho Hernangomez, and taking on Theis' $8.2 million cap hit for this season wouldn't help the Celtics in their apparent goal to dip under the luxury tax.

But Boston's reported interest in Theis could be a sign the team is looking for frontcourt depth to pair with budding big man Robert Williams, whom the Celtics reportedly view as part of their "core" with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

Source: NBC Sports Boston
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 08:30:13 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rumour: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 03:30:35 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
I started a trade idea based on this rumor a few minutes earlier.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 03:34:02 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
8.2 million?!?! For Theis?!?! Eeewwww.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Danny T and think he's fine at that price point, but it would make absolutely no sense to acquire Theis unless they're trading out Horford
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:43:38 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Pass
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe to gage what it would take in case they can move Horford and need a new backup C?   

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I mean, this is very blatantly a contingency in the event they trade Horford in a bigger deal. In that context, Theis is fine as a backup who's familiar with the key personnel and (crucially) fits into an existing trade exception. If they're trading for a big-money swingman or guard, Theis is as solid of a follow-up move to grab a second center as you're likely to find.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He has good chemistry with a few guys here including Schröder. I wouldn't deal for him though. Maybe for Al un something like Theis and an expiring that also gets team below tax line. That’s it.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Daniel Theis, was a very solid player for us.  He plays hard every game and seldom makes mistakes.  I think his hustle and work ethic have been missed on this team.  There is a role for him and I would really like back.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Seems pretty fair to me.  Definitely a lot better than $28.5 million for Horford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 04:48:42 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Seems pretty fair to me.  Definitely a lot better than $28.5 million for Horford.

Small thing (because you’ve mentioned in multiple threads).  Horford is making $27 million this season.  I don’t expect it to change your opinion, but I also know you like to be factually correct.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Small thing (because you’ve mentioned in multiple threads).  Horford is making $27 million this season.  I don’t expect it to change your opinion, but I also know you like to be factually correct.

Good catch.  $27.0 million, $26.5 million next season ($14.5 million guaranteed unless we make the Finals)

And no, it doesn't change my analysis. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 05:15:25 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Sure -- but Theis is signed through the summer of '24.

I'd also point out that Theis' offensive rating is absolutely atrocious. Surprised me a little bit when I saw it -- always thought he was an effective offensive role player. I've not really watched the Rockets much, however.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:25:06 PM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 05:26:40 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

I don't see it as an efficient use of limited resources. He's owed 27/3 after this year. Why tie up 9 million over the next three years when there are plenty of guys who could fill that role for 1/2 or 1/3 the price and shorter contract.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Sure -- but Theis is signed through the summer of '24.

I'd also point out that Theis' offensive rating is absolutely atrocious. Surprised me a little bit when I saw it -- always thought he was an effective offensive role player. I've not really watched the Rockets much, however.

The Rockets are a bad team with a lot of young guys figuring out the NBA (and that's fine!). I wouldn't take too much from their advanced stats, Theis is almost certainly the same guy he was 12 months ago. If Horford were moved for a wing/guard, because it makes no sense if Al is still here, Theis would be a perfectly adequate backup big.