Author Topic: 2022 Draft  (Read 35593 times)

Re: 2022 Draft
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2022, 08:50:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I've decided the Kings are deliberately trying to be bad.  There's no other explanation for not taking Ivey or trading down.  Look at their draft history:

T. Robinson 1 pick before Lillard
Jimmer 1 pick before Klay
Bagley 1 pick before Doncic

I think that dude Ivey is going to be a bust. His passing numbers are terrible. Hard to see him being a PG in the NBA.

« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I've decided the Kings are deliberately trying to be bad.  There's no other explanation for not taking Ivey or trading down.  Look at their draft history:

I think that dude Ivey is going to be a bust. His passing numbers are terrible. Hard to see him being a PG in the NBA.

He looks like a bigger Ja Morant to me, super explosive athlete who slashes and can score.  I think Morant is very overrated, but the league is incentivized to have him portray the star in a small market and he makes some exciting plays.  Ivey could do the same with preferential treatment with probably better defense, especially now in Detroit.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2022, 09:08:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

He looks like a bigger Ja Morant to me, super explosive athlete who slashes and can score.  I think Morant is very overrated, but the league is incentivized to have him portray the star in a small market and he makes some exciting plays.  Ivey could do the same with preferential treatment with probably better defense, especially now in Detroit.

I wonder if I am approaching it wrong. I saw a video comparing him to Oladipo in terms of being an athletic slashing SG rather than an actual PG. That may be a better spot for Ivey given those passing / turnover numbers.

« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2022, 09:14:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I wonder if I am approaching it wrong. I saw a video comparing him to Oladipo in terms of being an athletic slashing SG rather than an actual PG. That may be a better spot for Ivey given those passing / turnover numbers.
6'4, 200lbs, 6'8 or 6'9" wingspan. I think he has the athletic tools to play that athletic combo guard role, especially with all the playmaking we're seeing from non-traditional sources
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2022, 09:16:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

You could be right.  Maybe he'll be something in between.  Looks like the Ringer has comps of Donovan Mitchell, Oladipo, and a big Garland.  It'll be interesting to see how he plays off the ball with Cunningham at PG.

« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2022, 10:11:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Murray outplayed Ivey in the Big Ten this year.  Obviously Murray is an old sophomore and Ivey is not so that should be a factor.  Morant was also significantly better than Ivey in college so I don't really see that comparison, and it isn't just Morant playing at a smaller school because Morant was awesome in the NCAA tournament (with much worse teammates).  Ivey was definitely the more highly rated player in the draft than Murray and for that reason, Sacto should have done a better job trading out of the pick if they didn't want him, but with Murray's significantly better shooting there is a good chance he ends up better than Ivey. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2022, 11:08:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Murray outplayed Ivey in the Big Ten this year.  Obviously Murray is an old sophomore and Ivey is not so that should be a factor.  Morant was also significantly better than Ivey in college so I don't really see that comparison, and it isn't just Morant playing at a smaller school because Morant was awesome in the NCAA tournament (with much worse teammates).  Ivey was definitely the more highly rated player in the draft than Murray and for that reason, Sacto should have done a better job trading out of the pick if they didn't want him, but with Murray's significantly better shooting there is a good chance he ends up better than Ivey.

Largely irrelevant.  Sacramento's only ability to become relevant is to land on a superstar in the draft.  Ivey has the higher upside. Regarding Morant they're both highly similar in style right now.  And Murray's potential takes a major hit by heading to Sac.