Author Topic: Which Point Guard in the 2022 draft to you like for the Boston Celtics?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I really want us to find our starting point guard in the draft if possible. The bad news is that it is not a good draft for point guard depth, and most of the top picks are PF/C types or big shooting guards or wings.

The list of top PGs to date usually mention these guys:

TyTy Washington (Kentucky)
Kennedy Chandler (TN)
JF Davison (Bama)
Iverson Molinar (Miss St)
Mike Miles (TCU)
Jean Montero (Overtime Elite)

Most of the guys on this list aren't really playmaking guards, especially TyTy Washington and Davison, they seem more like scorers.  Chandler is a nice passer, but he is small, and worry that he will struggle in the NBA inside.

The guy I am intrigued by the most is Jean Montero. His draft stock is rising, as ESPN has him going 9th in its most recent mock draft to the Wizards, the first true point guard taken. I think he is a realistic target for us, especially if we end up drafting in 9-12th slot, which seems to be where we are headed.

Here is a scouting report and video clip:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/2022-nba-draft-jean-montero-scouting-report

Reminds me of Ja Morant, although I'm not suggesting he will turn out that well. He is super quick, decent height for a PG (6'2/6'3"), can easily breakdown defenders off dribble, and looks to make plays, not just score.  I see Payton Pritchard's future as a backup point guard for us. 

Curious if any of you have any PGs in this draft that interest you?  If any of you have scouting Montero much?  The video on him seems pretty limited, but the fact that ESPN (a top insider draft site IMO) has ranked him this high suggests there is recent positive scouting buzz about him.

Re: Which Point Guard in the 2022 draft to you like for the Boston Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This seems to be a weak class for pgs.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It is.  But it is our greatest need IMO, absent getting someone in a trade.  We lack a starting caliber point guard for sure. 

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:40:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It's a really weak PG class this year.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:59:16 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

I thought so too, so I went looking at Euroleague PGs to see if there was any worth looking at. The answer was not really. There was one guy that might have an NBA game that fit in the J’s timeline being 27. The rest were NBA has-been like Shelvin Mack and Sergio Rodriguez. Both over 30. Shelvin played at Butler, so has a BS connections though.

Really Yam Madar - who isn’t the answer - is as good as anyone that’s available.

I doubt anyone in this draft will be ready to lead this team next year. Bringing Rondo back for a year would be a better idea when they can get a PF or center prospect to take Al’s place.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 07:05:33 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I thought so too, so I went looking at Euroleague PGs to see if there was any worth looking at. The answer was not really. There was one guy that might have an NBA game that fit in the J’s timeline being 27. The rest were NBA has-been like Shelvin Mack and Sergio Rodriguez. Both over 30. Shelvin played at Butler, so has a BS connections though.

Really Yam Madar - who isn’t the answer - is as good as anyone that’s available.

I doubt anyone in this draft will be ready to lead this team next year. Bringing Rondo back for a year would be a better idea when they can get a PF or center prospect to take Al’s place.

What do you think of Payton Pritchard compared to anyone in the draft or overseas? 

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 12:01:28 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Get misic from euroleague

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 12:47:20 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

What do you think of Payton Pritchard compared to anyone in the draft or overseas?

The only Euroleague point guard worth getting is Vasilije Micić. He’s 6’4” and 27, good outside shooting, has experience leading a team. Originally a draft and stash by the ‘76ers, Oklahoma City currently has his draft rights, but he’s never come over.

He’s probably better than Payton, and he’s listed as 6-4 to 6-5, so that’s the perfect height for me, would love a PG with size. I haven’t seen a wingspan but he’s bigger than Payton. He’s Killian Hayes’ size and is a much better outside shooter than him. Being 27 fits in with the J’s timeline better than a rookie would.

Nembhard from Gonzaga is a true point guard and one of the best passers in his class. He’s the only one with any height at 6’4” and he’s a senior, but he’s not explosive and barely an average shooter. He’s probably comparable to Pritchard - He has experience, can pass and is taller, but isn’t athletic and doesn’t shoot from deep, and rated a late 1st to early 2nd round pick like Pritchard was.

Molinar from Mississippi State is 6’3” and can dribble, pass, and shoots well enough. He has higher upside than Nembhard but doubt he’s contributing from day one.

The rest are all score first types under 6-2”, so if you like short guys that like to chuck it, there’s some adequate choices there.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:16:34 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I really want us to find our starting point guard in the draft if possible. The bad news is that it is not a good draft for point guard depth, and most of the top picks are PF/C types or big shooting guards or wings.

The list of top PGs to date usually mention these guys:

TyTy Washington (Kentucky)
Kennedy Chandler (TN)
JF Davison (Bama)
Iverson Molinar (Miss St)
Mike Miles (TCU)
Jean Montero (Overtime Elite)

Most of the guys on this list aren't really playmaking guards, especially TyTy Washington and Davison, they seem more like scorers.  Chandler is a nice passer, but he is small, and worry that he will struggle in the NBA inside.

The guy I am intrigued by the most is Jean Montero. His draft stock is rising, as ESPN has him going 9th in its most recent mock draft to the Wizards, the first true point guard taken. I think he is a realistic target for us, especially if we end up drafting in 9-12th slot, which seems to be where we are headed.

Here is a scouting report and video clip:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/2022-nba-draft-jean-montero-scouting-report

Reminds me of Ja Morant, although I'm not suggesting he will turn out that well. He is super quick, decent height for a PG (6'2/6'3"), can easily breakdown defenders off dribble, and looks to make plays, not just score.  I see Payton Pritchard's future as a backup point guard for us. 

Curious if any of you have any PGs in this draft that interest you?  If any of you have scouting Montero much?  The video on him seems pretty limited, but the fact that ESPN (a top insider draft site IMO) has ranked him this high suggests there is recent positive scouting buzz about him.

TP - good discussion. Of the guys listed, I like this kid Iverson Molinar from Miss St. He has height and can shoot from outside. (This year his 3pt % is low - 28% - but seems to be an aberration from previous years and his shooting form is great).

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I may be a bit biased because I have seen him come up a bit in the last 5 years and coached against him in Phoenix-area HS ball, but I've got my eye on TyTy Washington as a potentially good fit who should be in our range mid-first round.

Solid size at 6'3". Not an elite PG athlete, but shouldn't be a defensive liability due to size.

I think he's a better passer/playmaker than just his assist average might look like. He has low TOs, had 17 assists the other night, and he's always had a good feel for the game from what I've seen.

Good decision-maker out of PnR. Good catch-and-shoot from 3. Good mid-range game, including a floater. He may never be a star, but he seems like he has solid starting PG potential with no glaring weaknesses that have to be game-planned around. There's also the history of Kentucky guards popping more statistically in the NBA than they do in college.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 11:38:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
i don't see the draft as the solution to the C's PG problem.  I think they're going to need to find a decent vet FA that'll take the MLE or less.  it's that or a trade to bring in a better one. 

Draft shouldn't be used to target a particular position but for BPA.  focussing draft selections strictly on team need leads to bad or underperforming picks.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 02:41:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It is.  But it is our greatest need IMO, absent getting someone in a trade.  We lack a starting caliber point guard for sure.

Drafting for need always seems like a bad idea. FA/trade for need and draft BPA.

If the right PG of the future was in this class I’m all for trading up to land him but purely drafting for need isn’t smart.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 02:47:27 PM »

• Al Horford
I may be a bit biased because I have seen him come up a bit in the last 5 years and coached against him in Phoenix-area HS ball, but I've got my eye on TyTy Washington as a potentially good fit who should be in our range mid-first round.

Solid size at 6'3". Not an elite PG athlete, but shouldn't be a defensive liability due to size.

I think he's a better passer/playmaker than just his assist average might look like. He has low TOs, had 17 assists the other night, and he's always had a good feel for the game from what I've seen.

Good decision-maker out of PnR. Good catch-and-shoot from 3. Good mid-range game, including a floater. He may never be a star, but he seems like he has solid starting PG potential with no glaring weaknesses that have to be game-planned around. There's also the history of Kentucky guards popping more statistically in the NBA than they do in college.

I may be stoned again but we don’t have a draft pick this year (Horford Trade)… sure do wish we had that pick!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
We have a 1st in 2022.  Our 2021 pick (#16) went to OKC in the Walker/Horford deal.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »

• Al Horford
We have a 1st in 2022.  Our 2021 pick (#16) went to OKC in the Walker/Horford deal.

I’m baked again… LOL (TP for clarification and glad we do)