Poll

Of the 4 American sports, who is the greatest G.O.A.T?

Michael Jordan - NBA
4 (13.3%)
Tom Brady - NFL
11 (36.7%)
Babe Ruth - MLB
8 (26.7%)
Wayne Gretzky - NHL
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Who is The Greatest G.O.A.T?  (Read 21881 times)

Re: Who is The Greatest G.O.A.T?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Bill Russell!  # 6!  The real G.O.A.T.!

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

No one else achieved even close to what he did.

This.

I can't even see a reasonable argument for anyone else. How is he not even in the poll???

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
My list is:

GOAT of GOATS: Russell

Larry Brid - NBA
Tom Brady - NFL
Ted Williams - MLB
Wayne Gretzky - NHL
I would respect this list a whole lot more if Bobby Orr was you NHL GOAT.

😂😂😂

GOAT of GOATS: Russell

Larry Brid - NBA
Tom Brady - NFL
Ted Williams - MLB
Bobby Orr - NHL

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

I can't even see a reasonable argument for anyone else. How is he not even in the poll???
Probably because, except for biased Celtics fans, nationally and maybe worldwide, he is almost never mentioned as the best NBA player ever. Google it. MJ is almost universally listed as the best ever. In most of those lists, Russell isn't even top 3.

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Folks think Magic Johnson or Larry Bird are GOATs over Michael Jordan.

Agreed with Brady being the NFL GOAT, no question about it.

I don't watch a lot of MLB or NHL so wouldn't know haha.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Babe Ruth’s career was during a racially segregated period so IMO he shouldn’t be in this discussion.
Just stop.

Using facts?

It’s not Ruth’s fault, it’s just the truth.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 09:03:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Tom Brady today, for the first time in his career, threw for over 400 yds with 5 touchdowns in the same game. He did it at 44 years of age.

Just saying.

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

That suggests an incredible pro-Celtic bias
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2021, 09:40:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

Probably because, except for biased Celtics fans, nationally and maybe worldwide, he is almost never mentioned as the best NBA player ever. Google it. MJ is almost universally listed as the best ever. In most of those lists, Russell isn't even top 3.

It's media bias that excludes Bill Russell. His accomplishments tower over any other NBA player, and he did it in an era where he had to battle racism and make historical precedence as the first black coach on top of it. Players in his era never got anywhere near the marketing and media hype that players got in Bird's era, or Jordan's era, which also pale in comparison to the hype players get today.

If Jordan had done what he did in Bill Russell's era, he wouldn't even be in the discussion for these kind of lists.

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2021, 09:50:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

It's media bias that excludes Bill Russell. His accomplishments tower over any other NBA player, and he did it in an era where he had to battle racism and make historical precedence as the first black coach on top of it. Players in his era never got anywhere near the marketing and media hype that players got in Bird's era, or Jordan's era, which also pale in comparison to the hype players get today.

If Jordan had done what he did in Bill Russell's era, he wouldn't even be in the discussion for these kind of lists.
Russell was the leader of the winningest team ever, but it is a team sport.  When looking at the greatest players as individuals, a lot of the team component is taken out of it, and Bill quite simply doesn't measure up individually.  He wasn't even the greatest individual player of his era, which was pretty clearly Wilt.  I mean Bill joined a Celtics team that had 3 HOFers in their 20's.  He never played with less than 3 other HOFers and often had 5 or 6 others.  Bill was a tremendous leader and player, but he was always on super-stacked teams.  I think it is a fair point to ask, if Wilt and Bill had swapped teams, how each's career would have turned out.  I mean when Wilt finally had 2 other HOFers in their prime, he ended up leading the greatest team in NBA history to that point (and which lasted for like 25 years as the best team ever). 

EDIT: When ESPN did their list a few years back they had Bill at 7 behind MJ, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, and Bird.  I would imagine, other than Lebron perhaps moving up, that the top 7 would look the same today as it did when they did that back in 2016, especially since Duncan (who was 8th) probably didn't do anything to warrant moving up more and no one else had come close to cracking the top 10 since then (Shaq and Hakeem rounded out the top 10). 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 09:55:30 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Ali.
It's American team sports, so he doesn't count. If it was sportspeople in general then Phelps and Schumacher would also have to be in the conversation. As would Messi, Ronaldo & Bradman. It gets too broad when you include individual athletes (Ali, Phelps, and tennis players) I think, and sports like soccer and cricket have very worldwide appeal yet little American coverage (relatively), so the discussion can stall.

Fair enough, but it does say, greatest GOAT. No mention of team or US sports.

And as everyone knows, Ali is the greatest that ever lived.

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2021, 09:56:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ali.
It's American team sports, so he doesn't count. If it was sportspeople in general then Phelps and Schumacher would also have to be in the conversation. As would Messi, Ronaldo & Bradman. It gets too broad when you include individual athletes (Ali, Phelps, and tennis players) I think, and sports like soccer and cricket have very worldwide appeal yet little American coverage (relatively), so the discussion can stall.

Did you not read the opening post in the thread?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Ali.

The question clearly states of the 4 American sports.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2021, 10:00:34 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Ali.

The question clearly states of the 4 American sports.

Sorry, I only saw the question in the green box. I’m totally mistaken and apologize profusely.

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

Russell was the leader of the winningest team ever, but it is a team sport.  When looking at the greatest players as individuals, a lot of the team component is taken out of it, and Bill quite simply doesn't measure up individually.  He wasn't even the greatest individual player of his era, which was pretty clearly Wilt.  I mean Bill joined a Celtics team that had 3 HOFers in their 20's.  He never played with less than 3 other HOFers and often had 5 or 6 others.  Bill was a tremendous leader and player, but he was always on super-stacked teams.  I think it is a fair point to ask, if Wilt and Bill had swapped teams, how each's career would have turned out.  I mean when Wilt finally had 2 other HOFers in their prime, he ended up leading the greatest team in NBA history to that point (and which lasted for like 25 years as the best team ever). 

EDIT: When ESPN did their list a few years back they had Bill at 7 behind MJ, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, and Bird.  I would imagine, other than Lebron perhaps moving up, that the top 7 would look the same today as it did when they did that back in 2016, especially since Duncan (who was 8th) probably didn't do anything to warrant moving up more and no one else had come close to cracking the top 10 since then (Shaq and Hakeem rounded out the top 10).
All this plus the Celtics were winning titles in an 8-9 team league. It's vastly easier to pull off that many titles in an 8-9 team league than it is to win in a 28-30 team league.

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2021, 01:04:54 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

11 rings in 13 years!

Plus NCAA and Olympics.

Most competitive ever!

This.

All this plus the Celtics were winning titles in an 8-9 team league. It's vastly easier to pull off that many titles in an 8-9 team league than it is to win in a 28-30 team league.

Doesn't that logic exclude Babe Ruth?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt