Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 558468 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5295 on: May 13, 2022, 11:37:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is Game 1 of the East Finals going to be Tuesday? Celtics/Bucks going to look very exhausted coming out of this series.

Yeah I read it on the Miami Heat Reddit Page

Don’t know specific time but Game 1 of Boston/Milwaukee @ Miami is Tuesday night.
That probably means a 2-3 day mid-series break I imagine
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5296 on: May 13, 2022, 11:49:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

Almost took the same number of shots, too.

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.
The Process ended when Hinkie was fired 3 years into it after their owner caved to pressure from Silver and brought in old man Colangelo.   Nothing since then has been the process. 

It is true the Sixers keep getting bounced in the 2nd round but they are winning more and are more relevant since the mid 80s.  3 of last 5 seasons of 50+ wins.  Would have been 4 of 5 and possibly all 5 if not for shortened seasons.  The best news for the Sixers is they've got Embiid signed long-term and he seems happy there and Maxey looks like he could become the 2nd young star that they wanted Simmons to be.

Yeah never understood why the league forced Hinkie out, which led to Colangelo who was an absolute disaster lol.

But man, PHI was LUCKY to get Embiid and that Embiid panned out despite the injury history, because otherwise their Draft picks over the last 7-8 years really haven't been great. A ton of misses and a few brutal ones (Simmons, Fultz, etc.)

Like literally imagine where PHI would even be if Embiid didn't work out and everything else panned the way it did. Would PHI be tanking again for a bit?  :P

This was one of my main points I was raising. The draft picks were pretty brutal (and to be fair a lot of the ones from hinkie ranged from franchise altering bust (okafor) to mild disappointment (noel) to meh (saric). Before it got derailed on a bunch of inaccurate stuff on woods, ish smith and holmes, that’s really the biggest problem. The draft picks both under hinkie and after were quite poor.

I mean the whole point of "The Process" is so you get multiple rolls of the die

They got 2 legit stars, Simmons and Embiid. I would have liked to see what the next step in Hinkie's plan was (maybe there wasn't any next step).

I’m sorry simmons is, checks notes, a “legit star?” Is that why it costs two rotation players, two first round picks and simmons for a washed up harden? I wouldn’t trade Marcus smart for simmons at this point. He is probably the third worst number one pick of the last 15 years ahead of only bennett and ironically fultz. You could argue wiggins but given he was an all star this year and it is unclear if simmons even wants to play basketball right now that is very debatable

For all his faults, Simmons was a 2 time all star on the rise.

That's why I would have liked to see where Hinkie's plan went. Does he keep coddling Ben Simmons?

I think Jimmy Butler was brought in after Hinkie - and he's famously a tough dude to be around, having pitted the Bulls players against each other.

They had Brett Brown who wasn't great but he coached a 6ers team led by Embiid/Simmons to a couple decent playoff runs. Then Doc comes in and Simmons is sent into a spiral, flip flopping about his lack of a jump shot (initially saying it's ok he doesn't have one, and later saying he's got to hit some free throws). Then proceeds to throw him under the bus after that Hawks game.

I kind of blame Doc for this. History keeps repeating itself with Doc - he had CP3/Blake for so many years and they seem to hit this wall (and seemingly a mental one at that). Hit a wall with Kawhii too.

I hate that I'm talking like Stephen A Smith, speculating heavily on many things, but I guess that's just what the NBA is sometimes. A bunch of 6'10 men being melodramatic.

I would argue that simmons probably shouldn’t have made two all star games and was pushed over the edge as a fringe candidate cause of his draft status and hype. At this point not having playing in over a year and having back surgery after not playing all year, it’s pretty hard to call him a star (and I don’t think the nets are counting on that either).

« Reply #5297 on: May 13, 2022, 11:54:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So… do the Grizz actually need Morant lol? They seem to play fine without him which is odd. Very weird
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5298 on: May 13, 2022, 11:54:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I’m still rooting for grizz here, want a game 7. Feels like an uphill battle though. Imagine espn executives response to a Dallas morant less memphis final.

« Reply #5299 on: May 13, 2022, 11:55:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.
The Process ended when Hinkie was fired 3 years into it after their owner caved to pressure from Silver and brought in old man Colangelo.   Nothing since then has been the process. 

It is true the Sixers keep getting bounced in the 2nd round but they are winning more and are more relevant since the mid 80s.  3 of last 5 seasons of 50+ wins.  Would have been 4 of 5 and possibly all 5 if not for shortened seasons.  The best news for the Sixers is they've got Embiid signed long-term and he seems happy there and Maxey looks like he could become the 2nd young star that they wanted Simmons to be.

Yeah never understood why the league forced Hinkie out, which led to Colangelo who was an absolute disaster lol.

But man, PHI was LUCKY to get Embiid and that Embiid panned out despite the injury history, because otherwise their Draft picks over the last 7-8 years really haven't been great. A ton of misses and a few brutal ones (Simmons, Fultz, etc.)

Like literally imagine where PHI would even be if Embiid didn't work out and everything else panned the way it did. Would PHI be tanking again for a bit?  :P

This was one of my main points I was raising. The draft picks were pretty brutal (and to be fair a lot of the ones from hinkie ranged from franchise altering bust (okafor) to mild disappointment (noel) to meh (saric). Before it got derailed on a bunch of inaccurate stuff on woods, ish smith and holmes, that’s really the biggest problem. The draft picks both under hinkie and after were quite poor.

They got 2 legit stars, Simmons and Embiid. I would have liked to see what the next step in Hinkie's plan was (maybe there wasn't any next step).

I’m sorry simmons is, checks notes, a “legit star?” Is that why it costs two rotation players, two first round picks and simmons for a washed up harden? I wouldn’t trade Marcus smart for simmons at this point. He is probably the third worst number one pick of the last 15 years ahead of only bennett and ironically fultz. You could argue wiggins but given he was an all star this year and it is unclear if simmons even wants to play basketball right now that is very debatable

That's why I would have liked to see where Hinkie's plan went. Does he keep coddling Ben Simmons?

I think Jimmy Butler was brought in after Hinkie - and he's famously a tough dude to be around, having pitted the Bulls players against each other.

They had Brett Brown who wasn't great but he coached a 6ers team led by Embiid/Simmons to a couple decent playoff runs. Then Doc comes in and Simmons is sent into a spiral, flip flopping about his lack of a jump shot (initially saying it's ok he doesn't have one, and later saying he's got to hit some free throws). Then proceeds to throw him under the bus after that Hawks game.

I kind of blame Doc for this. History keeps repeating itself with Doc - he had CP3/Blake for so many years and they seem to hit this wall (and seemingly a mental one at that). Hit a wall with Kawhii too.

I hate that I'm talking like Stephen A Smith, speculating heavily on many things, but I guess that's just what the NBA is sometimes. A bunch of 6'10 men being melodramatic.

I would argue that simmons probably shouldn’t have made two all star games and was pushed over the edge as a fringe candidate cause of his draft status and hype. At this point not having playing in over a year and having back surgery after not playing all year, it’s pretty hard to call him a star (and I don’t think the nets are counting on that either).
Simmons is clearly better than Jaren Jackson who you labeled a homerun. 

« Reply #5300 on: May 13, 2022, 11:56:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I’ve never seen throw the ball away unforced so many times in a game. 16 turnovers.

« Reply #5301 on: May 13, 2022, 11:56:57 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I have the game on mute and I'm only looking up occasionally, but I swear, every time I do the Warriors throw away another crazy upcourt pass attempt that never had a chance.  They really don't seem to value the ball much. 

« Reply #5302 on: May 13, 2022, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I completely disagree at this point in their careers. What an utterly bizarre thing to say as Jarren Jackson is currently destroying the warriors and simmons is in a hospital somewhere. You realize Jackson is averaging 24 or something in the conference semifinals right now with elite defense? He is 22 years old! Memphis wouldn’t trade Jackson for simmons and two first round picks. Please take it back tazz I want to respect your basketball knowledge some.

« Reply #5303 on: May 13, 2022, 11:59:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Feel like the Warriors would really struggle against any of the East remaining teams that are lanky and strong defensively, as these turnovers would just be absolute money to Boston, Miami, and Milwaukee. And they’d turn them over even more.

« Reply #5304 on: May 14, 2022, 12:02:21 AM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

I completely disagree at this point in their careers. What an utterly bizarre thing to say as Jarren Jackson is currently destroying the warriors and simmons is in a hospital somewhere.

Ben Simmons has the potential to be better than Jaren Jackson ever could be.

Ben Simmons currently is a near-washout whose value is in the toilet and whose only value lies in what he could be.

It's a no-brainer.

« Reply #5305 on: May 14, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I completely disagree at this point in their careers. What an utterly bizarre thing to say as Jarren Jackson is currently destroying the warriors and simmons is in a hospital somewhere.
Then change it to was better than Jackson is now.  If Simmons returns to where he was before the mental flake out and back injury, he's better than Jackson.  How is Jackson's 5-16 shooting destroying the Warriors? 

« Reply #5306 on: May 14, 2022, 12:08:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Ben Simmons currently is a near-washout whose value is in the toilet and who contributes nothing but the promise of what he could be.

It's a no-brainer.

Jackson is literally currently having a better playoff run than simmons ever has. And he is 22 years old! Simmons won’t take a 3 pointer. Jackson has hit 16. This series. And he is 22 years old! Simmons isn’t mentally prepared to play basketball. After a year off. After he would not dunk on trae young. Jarren Jackson is 22 years old.

https://youtu.be/xZr2qOXQJ4w

« Reply #5307 on: May 14, 2022, 12:12:02 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Then change it to was better than Jackson is now.  If Simmons returns to where he was before the mental flake out and back injury, he's better than Jackson.  How is Jackson's 5-16 shooting destroying the Warriors?

He is averaging close to 25 a game coming into this series. His defense is really bothering the warriors inside. He is a perennial all
Defense guy. Come on you are better than this tazz. Embid and butler hate simmons for a reason.

« Reply #5308 on: May 14, 2022, 12:15:00 AM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

Ben Simmons currently is a near-washout whose value is in the toilet and who contributes nothing but the promise of what he could be.

It's a no-brainer.

Jackson is literally currently having a better playoff run than simmons ever has. And he is 22 years old! Simmons won’t take a 3 pointer. Jackson has hit 16. This series. And he is 22 years old! Simmons isn’t mentally prepared to play basketball. After a year off. After he would not dunk on trae young. Jarren Jackson is 22 years old.

In case it wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you.

Simmons has more potential Jackson in the same vein that Lloyd Daniels had more potential than Gary Payton.

« Reply #5309 on: May 14, 2022, 12:17:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It's a no-brainer.

In case it wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you.

Simmons has more potential Jackson in the same vein that Lloyd Daniels had more potential than Gary Payton.

Oh I got that. I was just adding on. Sorry if the quote made it not seem that way. Tommy point.