Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 558548 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5265 on: May 13, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Pretty comical for someone to talk of inaccuracies when the initial statement had Hinkie drafting a ayer that was drafted a year and a half after he left the team. 

Wood was on the Sixers when Hinkie resigned.  It is quite common for undrafted players to bounce between the gleague and NBA as rookies and before the 2 way contract it was often on those 10 day nba contracts that the Sixers used with Wood.  He wasn't letting Wood go, he was basically calling him up to the majors and then sending him to the minors and that is how you had to do it before 2 way contracts (those came about in the 2017 CBA).  Had Hinkie let Wood go and then resigned that would be one thing, but Wood was part of the Sixers organization when Hinkie resigned. 

As I've consistently said, I have no idea how Hinkie would have done at actual team building, but he did a fine job in asset collection and left the Sixers in a much better position then when he got there.

I never said Fultz was drafted by Hinkie, he was part of me listing a bunch of their draft picks that didn't work out, I can see how you would take it as me implying Hinkie drafted him, but I later clarified I thought they would have still ended up with him cause Ainge said he would have taken Tatum still and the Balls badly wanted to be in LA and the Lakers seemed excited about that. (regardless this isn't a key part of the discussion so lets not get derailed from all the points you said about Hinkie that were inaccurate or extremely optimistic.) Is this really your full response to all the silly things you said about Woods, Ish Smith and keeping Holmes?

Also you are implying Hinkie identified a player as valuable but still consistently waived him so any other team could sign him for a prorated minimum? No that is not "how you had to do it" with a player you truly valued back then. (lol)  One of the times they cut him they used the roster spot for Sonny Weems for crying out loud. You want to say that one again and add some logic this time?

I mean I get you really cringe at admitting you misremembered stuff or had it wrong, but I still expected you to put up a little better of a fight here. One of your main points was you listed these "gems" he founds but neglected to mention they were let go for nothing (Smith), waived repeatedly so anyone else could take them (Woods) or later traded for a really good return (Grant for Maxey and Illasova). And what did you want him to do with Holmes after drafting Noel, Okafor and Embid? Seeing some of things you have blasted Ainge and Stevens for over the years the take becomes quite humorous. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:05:36 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #5266 on: May 13, 2022, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Perhaps tied to Irving's increasingly erratic behavior the last few years (no he wasn't always like this), it appears Irving is missing out on some potentially massive money from Nike:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33909709/nike-unlikely-extend-deal-kyrie-irving-2022-23-season-sources-say

Really curious what happens with Irving the next few years. He was on a live twitch the other day talking about onlyfans and masterbation, mocking people that troll him on Twitter (somewhat humorously I may add). How far are we from a Marbury eating Vaseline type incident?

« Reply #5267 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Buss would not speculate about how Westbrook fits into that roster, saying, "Having a conversation like that is premature. We have to now find the right coach to lead this team. Depending on the style of play that that coach wants to play, given the roster that we have, it all has to start to come together."

I wonder if LAL will look to have a reunion with Mike D'Antoni. A running coach based around a five out offense with AD at center, LeBron at PF and Westbrook at guard.

« Reply #5268 on: May 13, 2022, 08:17:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Buss would not speculate about how Westbrook fits into that roster, saying, "Having a conversation like that is premature. We have to now find the right coach to lead this team. Depending on the style of play that that coach wants to play, given the roster that we have, it all has to start to come together."

I wonder if LAL will look to have a reunion with Mike D'Antoni. A running coach based around a five out offense with AD at center, LeBron at PF and Westbrook at guard.

I think they have to punt on the Westbrook experiment and et AD slim down a bit a move back to the 4 - he can't handle the added muscle he added on to place center, he's already a huge injury risk.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5269 on: May 13, 2022, 09:04:25 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

Almost took the same number of shots, too.

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.
The Process ended when Hinkie was fired 3 years into it after their owner caved to pressure from Silver and brought in old man Colangelo.   Nothing since then has been the process. 

It is true the Sixers keep getting bounced in the 2nd round but they are winning more and are more relevant since the mid 80s.  3 of last 5 seasons of 50+ wins.  Would have been 4 of 5 and possibly all 5 if not for shortened seasons.  The best news for the Sixers is they've got Embiid signed long-term and he seems happy there and Maxey looks like he could become the 2nd young star that they wanted Simmons to be.

Lets not let something as boring as the facts get in the way of gloating, shall we?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5270 on: May 13, 2022, 10:29:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.
The Process ended when Hinkie was fired 3 years into it after their owner caved to pressure from Silver and brought in old man Colangelo.   Nothing since then has been the process. 

It is true the Sixers keep getting bounced in the 2nd round but they are winning more and are more relevant since the mid 80s.  3 of last 5 seasons of 50+ wins.  Would have been 4 of 5 and possibly all 5 if not for shortened seasons.  The best news for the Sixers is they've got Embiid signed long-term and he seems happy there and Maxey looks like he could become the 2nd young star that they wanted Simmons to be.

Yeah never understood why the league forced Hinkie out, which led to Colangelo who was an absolute disaster lol.

But man, PHI was LUCKY to get Embiid and that Embiid panned out despite the injury history, because otherwise their Draft picks over the last 7-8 years really haven't been great. A ton of misses and a few brutal ones (Simmons, Fultz, etc.)

Like literally imagine where PHI would even be if Embiid didn't work out and everything else panned the way it did. Would PHI be tanking again for a bit?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5271 on: May 13, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Golden State advances tonight. No more funny business.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5272 on: May 13, 2022, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah never understood why the league forced Hinkie out, which led to Colangelo who was an absolute disaster lol.

But man, PHI was LUCKY to get Embiid and that Embiid panned out despite the injury history, because otherwise their Draft picks over the last 7-8 years really haven't been great. A ton of misses and a few brutal ones (Simmons, Fultz, etc.)

Like literally imagine where PHI would even be if Embiid didn't work out and everything else panned the way it did. Would PHI be tanking again for a bit?  :P

This was one of my main points I was raising. The draft picks were pretty brutal (and to be fair a lot of the ones from hinkie ranged from franchise altering bust (okafor) to mild disappointment (noel) to meh (saric). Before it got derailed on a bunch of inaccurate stuff on woods, ish smith and holmes, that’s really the biggest problem. The draft picks both under hinkie and after were quite poor.

« Reply #5273 on: May 13, 2022, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

This was one of my main points I was raising. The draft picks were pretty brutal (and to be fair a lot of the ones from hinkie ranged from franchise altering bust (okafor) to mild disappointment (noel) to meh (saric). Before it got derailed on a bunch of inaccurate stuff on woods, ish smith and holmes, that’s really the biggest problem. The draft picks both under hinkie and after were quite poor.

I mean the whole point of "The Process" is so you get multiple rolls of the die

They got 2 legit stars, Simmons and Embiid. I would have liked to see what the next step in Hinkie's plan was (maybe there wasn't any next step).

« Reply #5274 on: May 13, 2022, 10:45:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I mean the whole point of "The Process" is so you get multiple rolls of the die

They got 2 legit stars, Simmons and Embiid. I would have liked to see what the next step in Hinkie's plan was (maybe there wasn't any next step).

I’m sorry simmons is, checks notes, a “legit star?” Is that why it costs two rotation players, two first round picks and simmons for a washed up harden? I wouldn’t trade Marcus smart for simmons at this point. He is probably the third worst number one pick of the last 15 years ahead of only bennett and ironically fultz. You could argue wiggins but given he was an all star this year and it is unclear if simmons even wants to play basketball right now that is very debatable

« Reply #5275 on: May 13, 2022, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Poole trying to throw this game, but Klay won't let him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5276 on: May 13, 2022, 10:56:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Agreed.

« Reply #5277 on: May 13, 2022, 11:12:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Agreed.
Seem to be missing Kerr

« Reply #5278 on: May 13, 2022, 11:12:59 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Am I the only one not particularly impressed by Golden State? I don't understand how they can be struggling to put down this Memphis team so badly without Morant.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5279 on: May 13, 2022, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Am I the only one not particularly impressed by Golden State? I don't understand how they can be struggling to put down this Memphis team so badly without Morant.
They are really ill-disciplined and have some pretty questionable perimeter defence.