Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 566768 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5865 on: June 02, 2022, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Trade proposal on latest simmons podcast, one of his guests not bill. Lakers trade Westbrook for duncan Robinson and Lowry. This is one of the more realistic ones I have heard. Anyone think this could happen?

Since Jimmy and Bam can't shoot, I don't think it'd be smart for Miami to put a non-shooting point guard in the starting lineup.

What's fascinating about that trade is I don't think the Lakers are getting enough value. Westbrook is an expiring and the lakers are taking on a new albatross of a contract in Kyle Lowry. I think another rotation player needs to be thrown in or a pick.

« Reply #5866 on: June 02, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Trade proposal on latest simmons podcast, one of his guests not bill. Lakers trade Westbrook for duncan Robinson and Lowry. This is one of the more realistic ones I have heard. Anyone think this could happen?

Since Jimmy and Bam can't shoot, I don't think it'd be smart for Miami to put a non-shooting point guard in the starting lineup.

What's fascinating about that trade is I don't think the Lakers are getting enough value. Westbrook is an expiring and the lakers are taking on a new albatross of a contract in Kyle Lowry. I think another rotation player needs to be thrown in or a pick.

I actually think it's a bad trade for both teams.  Westbrook is a worse fit on a team that went to the conference finals and makes more money next season than Lowry and Robinson combined.  It's about $3 million more once you account for the empty roster spot, so this deal gives the Heat less flexibility next year to make moves that actually improve their roster for next season.  And you're right, it's bad for the Lakers too.

« Reply #5867 on: June 02, 2022, 02:09:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I mentioned this trade idea recently for Miami wondering if Miami would be desperate enough to get a 2nd star next to Jimmy that that they would go all-in on either Westbrook or Wall -- another non-shooting PG.

That was when the ECF was going worse for them and it looked like they would lose in a short series and have a higher mode of desperation. Then they stretched it til the final moments of a Game 7 ... so, maybe not desperate anymore.

I mention Wall as well not just because he shares many similarities with Westbrook but because Pat Riley made a run at him 12-18 months ago so there is some past precedence there with Wall as well. I can't remember if it was last summer or the previous trade deadline but Riley tried to land Wall outta Houston.

« Reply #5868 on: June 02, 2022, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I mentioned this trade idea recently for Miami wondering if Miami would be desperate enough to get a 2nd star next to Jimmy that that they would go all-in on either Westbrook or Wall -- another non-shooting PG.

That was when the ECF was going worse for them and it looked like they would lose in a short series and have a higher mode of desperation. Then they stretched it til the final moments of a Game 7 ... so, maybe not desperate anymore.

I mention Wall as well not just because he shares many similarities with Westbrook but because Pat Riley made a run at him 12-18 months ago so there is some past precedence there with Wall as well. I can't remember if it was last summer or the previous trade deadline but Riley tried to land Wall outta Houston.
Yes, but the reason Miami does this is to free up a ton of long term salary.  They get out of both Lowry and Robinson. 

Clay hasn't really accounted for the cap savings Westbrook can bring to a team if the Lakers are willing to take on salary long term.  Obviously Westbrook is massively overpaid for next year, but then he just goes away.  There is real value in that for teams looking to get more long term flexibility. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5869 on: June 02, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Regarding Miami, I think what to do with Duncan Robinson is pretty interesting.  They signed him to a 5-year, $90 million deal last summer, and by the end of the season he was pretty much stapled to the bench, with 4 years, $75 milllion left (technically $65 million, because the final season is only half-guaranteed).  It has to be in the bottom few percent of contracts out there, given its dollar value and length.  Do they dump him to create flexibility if they aren't going to play him?  And if so, who would take him on/how much would it cost Miami in extras to make it happen?  Or do they hope that they can figure out how to get him on the floor next year?

« Reply #5870 on: June 02, 2022, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Regarding Miami, I think what to do with Duncan Robinson is pretty interesting.  They signed him to a 5-year, $90 million deal last summer, and by the end of the season he was pretty much stapled to the bench, with 4 years, $75 milllion left (technically $65 million, because the final season is only half-guaranteed).  It has to be in the bottom few percent of contracts out there, given its dollar value and length.  Do they dump him to create flexibility if they aren't going to play him?  And if so, who would take him on/how much would it cost Miami in extras to make it happen?  Or do they hope that they can figure out how to get him on the floor next year?
I think he'd work well in Dallas.  Maybe they just do a straight Bertans for Robinson swap (Dallas may have to throw in a 1st as Duncan is better than Davis).  That would be an interesting trade for both teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5871 on: June 02, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I actually think it's a bad trade for both teams.  Westbrook is a worse fit on a team that went to the conference finals and makes more money next season than Lowry and Robinson combined.  It's about $3 million more once you account for the empty roster spot, so this deal gives the Heat less flexibility next year to make moves that actually improve their roster for next season.  And you're right, it's bad for the Lakers too.
I don't think it's as bad for the Lakers as you think.  sure, more long term salary for 2 players that aren't as good as the one they're giving up but in an offense with a scoring machine like Lebron, neither of those 2 guys needs the ball in their hands like Westbrook does and both can still shoot from outside which would help Bron and AD be more effective on offense.  Lakers have few upcoming picks to add cheap talent via the draft and their cap situation won't let them be real players in the free agent market.  this move might actually provide better balance to their roster.  it's not like they're a team focussed on D at this point so might as well address their offense

« Reply #5872 on: June 02, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think it's as bad for the Lakers as you think.  sure, more long term salary for 2 players that aren't as good as the one they're giving up but in an offense with a scoring machine like Lebron, neither of those 2 guys needs the ball in their hands like Westbrook does and both can still shoot from outside which would help Bron and AD be more effective on offense.  Lakers have few upcoming picks to add cheap talent via the draft and their cap situation won't let them be real players in the free agent market.  this move might actually provide better balance to their roster.  it's not like they're a team focussed on D at this point so might as well address their offense

The Lakers only have two players (Davis and Horton-Tucker) under contract in 2023.  Yes, there's LeBron, but he's also 38 and it's unknown what he'll want to do in 2023.  It'd be better for the Lakers to have potentially $70-80 million in cap room than tying up almost $50 million in Robinson and Lowry.

« Reply #5873 on: June 02, 2022, 03:08:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Yes, but the reason Miami does this is to free up a ton of long term salary.  They get out of both Lowry and Robinson. 

Clay hasn't really accounted for the cap savings Westbrook can bring to a team if the Lakers are willing to take on salary long term.  Obviously Westbrook is massively overpaid for next year, but then he just goes away.  There is real value in that for teams looking to get more long term flexibility.

Just to be clear this isn’t my trade idea. Was on simmons podcast, was just curious what others thought.

« Reply #5874 on: June 02, 2022, 05:59:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I have no idea if this true, but heard on the radio that Curry is the only player on a winning team to go for 25/5/5 in the Finals and not win the Finals MVP and he has done that 3 times. 

EDIT: Kobe did it one time with Shaq.  But that's it.  4 times in history and Curry has 3 of them.
Iggy absolutely robbed him. That was Curry's award IMO

Idk but it does seem inevitable to me that Iggy will get healthy enough to come in and be a game changer at least once in this series.
Not with how terrible Iggy is these days
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5875 on: June 05, 2022, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW

Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder planning to step down, according to Woj
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5876 on: June 05, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
WOW

Makes sense, he seems to have lost that locker-room. Wonder who they will try and nab...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5877 on: June 05, 2022, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW

Makes sense, he seems to have lost that locker-room. Wonder who they will try and nab...

Kind of funny he did this after the Lakers made their decision. Must not have wanted LA at all.

Does add intrigue to what the Jazz do in the offseason. I think what the Jazz do could have a ripple effect on a lot of the other moves and player movement that occurs this offseason. I'd now be real surprised if they keep both Mitchell and Gobert

« Reply #5878 on: June 05, 2022, 06:25:07 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
WOW

Wonder if Charlotte will make a run at him. They have a bright future and it might be an attractive job for a guy that can just take a break and wait for a good job to open up whenever he wants.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5879 on: June 05, 2022, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW

Wonder if Charlotte will make a run at him. They have a bright future and it might be an attractive job for a guy that can just take a break and wait for a good job to open up whenever he wants.

If the relationship with Gobert is fine, add Snyder as HC, trade for Gobert, trade away Hayward somehow, then add another solid piece via draft or FA and I think the Hornets have something brewing. Definitely a fun, scrappy team for next season.