Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564632 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5325 on: May 14, 2022, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Simmons made 3 all star games as basically a 16/8/8 player with 1st team all defense level play with a respectable 59% or so TS%.  He made the All NBA 3rd Team one year and the writers don't care about a guys draft position (neither do the coaches who put him on the all star team). He is not and never will be a massive scorer but his overall play absolutely warranted an all star birth those seasons.  His defense alone warranted consideration, but his solid rebounding and passing numbers made it a no brainer.  He is significantly better than someone like Smart basically across the board and there were a lot of people on here claiming Smart was playing like an all star and deserved consideration for the game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5326 on: May 14, 2022, 03:16:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wish they had Mavs at Suns tonight and then the C's game at night tomorrow.  Hate there are no games today and the C's have to play in afternoon tomorrow
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5327 on: May 14, 2022, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Simmons made 3 all star games as basically a 16/8/8 player with 1st team all defense level play with a respectable 59% or so TS%.  He made the All NBA 3rd Team one year and the writers don't care about a guys draft position (neither do the coaches who put him on the all star team). He is not and never will be a massive scorer but his overall play absolutely warranted an all star birth those seasons.  His defense alone warranted consideration, but his solid rebounding and passing numbers made it a no brainer.  He is significantly better than someone like Smart basically across the board and there were a lot of people on here claiming Smart was playing like an all star and deserved consideration for the game.

I don't get the love for Ben Simmons.  He is seriously over-rated imho.  Smart has his issues (bone head plays at time, some over-shooting at times), but for 3 point shooting, FT shooting, coming up clutch with play after play in the biggest of moments he just smokes Simmons so bad it isn't even a question.  Simmons actively doesn't want the ball in his hands during crunch time.  Do we not remember the last times Simmons was on the court for the 76ers?  Simmons basically refuses to shoot any shot that isn't a layup. 

why don't we compare the lastest playoff stats?  You know when games really start to matter.  Does this show BS as 'significantly better'?  No way.

Ben Simmons 20-21 FG: 62%, 3 point FG: 0%, FT 34%, Reb 7.9, St 1.3, TO 2.3, Points 11.9
Marcus Smart 21-22 FG: 43%, 3 point FG: 37%, FT 77%, Reb 3.3, St 1.1,  TO 2.4, Points 15.4

Simmons gets more boards - he is a forward, no surprise.  Simmons is terrible from 3 (ie so bad he refuses to shoot them, and that makes a huge problem for what ever team he plays for in today's NBA), and is a huge liability from the FT line.  Almost unplayable.  Steals, turnovers about even.  Smart hits 3s, is a good FT shooter, and scores more.  Smart has a way higher intangible quotient.  I don't see how Simmons is significantly better than Smart.  It just isn't true.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:09:36 PM by blink »

« Reply #5328 on: May 14, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't get the love for Ben Simmons.  He is seriously over-rated imho.  Smart has his issues (bone head plays at time, some over-shooting at times), but for 3 point shooting, FT shooting, coming up clutch with play after play in the biggest of moments he just smokes Simmons so bad it isn't even a question.  Simmons actively doesn't want the ball in his hands during crunch time.  Do we not remember the last times Simmons was on the court for the 76ers? 

why don't we compare the lastest playoff stats?  You know when games really start to matter.  Does this show BS as 'significantly better'?  No way.

Ben Simmons 20-21 FG: 62%, 3 point FG: 0%, FT 34%, Reb 7.9, St 1.3, TO 2.3, Points 11.9
Marcus Smart 21-22 FG: 43%, 3 point FG: 37%, FT 77%, Reb 3.3, St 1.1,  TO 2.4, Points 15.4

Simmons gets more boards - he is a forward, no surprise.  Simmons is terrible from 3 (ie so bad he refuses to shoot them, and that makes a huge problem for what ever team he plays for in today's NBA), and is a huge liability from the FT line.  Almost unplayable.  Steals, turnovers about even.  Smart hits 3s, is a good FT shooter, and scores more.  Smart has a way higher intangible quotient.  I don't see how Simmons is significantly better than Smart.  It just isn't true.
TP4U. Agree completely.

I don't care about the league's "well Simmons is a #1 pick and we seriously want to push him as a star" All-Star appearances.

Smart is the better player. Especially during the playoffs.

« Reply #5329 on: May 14, 2022, 04:27:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Btw I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the entire ECF schedule will be an "every other day" format, similar to that Miami - Philadelphia series. No multiple days off between games at any point.

So in theory, BOS/MIL are in for a busy stretch coming up after tomorrow as well

• Game 1: BOS/MIL vs. Miami | Tuesday, May 17 | 8:30 ET | ESPN
• Game 2: BOS/MIL vs. Miami | Thursday, May 19 | 8:30 ET | ESPN
• Game 3: Miami vs. BOS/MIL | Saturday, May 21 | 8:30 ET | ABC
• Game 4: Miami vs. BOS/MIL | Monday, May 23 | 8:30 ET | ABC
• Game 5*: BOS/MIL vs. Miami | Wednesday, May 25 | 8:30 ET | ESPN
• Game 6*: Miami vs. BOS/MIL | Friday, May 27 | 8:30 ET | ESPN
• Game 7*: BOS/MIL vs. Miami | Sunday, May 29 | 8:30 ET | ESPN
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5330 on: May 14, 2022, 04:33:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Btw I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the entire ECF schedule will be an "every other day" format, similar to that Miami - Philadelphia series. No multiple days off between games at any point.

So in theory, BOS/MIL are in for a busy stretch coming up after tomorrow as well

No afternoon games. I like that. All games at the same time. Like that too.

« Reply #5331 on: May 14, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

No afternoon games. I like that. All games at the same time. Like that too.

What I hate though is 8:30 start times. Like I know I'm probably on the younger side here (23 y/o) but I like the 7:00 and 7:30 start times since it means games end a bit earlier lol and I could go to bed a little earlier or do some other stuff late night, and it's a good time in general.

Also, I'm surprised there's a Monday Game (Game 4) that's on ABC. How often does that happen for non-Finals games?

« Reply #5332 on: May 14, 2022, 06:05:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Middleton ruled out for Game 7

« Reply #5333 on: May 14, 2022, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
"Aspire to be the Washington Generals and ultimately we might be good someday" is fascinating?

Because it's gaming a system that rewards the Pels with Zion Williamson in exchange for sending Chris Paul to LA.

Also encourages the league to find some other alternative to lottery balls (although ironically them forcing a change at the 6ers front office as a result of The Process seems to have done the trick --- the Rockets, Pistons, Magic and Thunder this year are bad but I guess not really on purpose).

It's like Ainge hoarding firsts - it's not rocket science but it doesn't have to be complicated. Shrewd decisions resulted in a Gordon Hayward/Kyrie Irving/Jays team.

« Reply #5334 on: May 14, 2022, 08:08:01 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

I hate that, should the C's pull this off, this will be the excuse.

« Reply #5335 on: May 14, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

The only reason the Bucks won last year was because of injuries to Harden and Kyrie, so they should be the last team to make that excuse.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5336 on: May 14, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

The only reason the Bucks won last year was because of injuries to Harden and Kyrie, so they should be the last team to make that excuse.

You'd think so but ... (maybe just avoid Reddit and all social media outside of CelticsStrong lol)

« Reply #5337 on: May 14, 2022, 08:34:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I don't get the love for Ben Simmons.  He is seriously over-rated imho.  Smart has his issues (bone head plays at time, some over-shooting at times), but for 3 point shooting, FT shooting, coming up clutch with play after play in the biggest of moments he just smokes Simmons so bad it isn't even a question.  Simmons actively doesn't want the ball in his hands during crunch time.  Do we not remember the last times Simmons was on the court for the 76ers? 

TP4U. Agree completely.

I don't care about the league's "well Simmons is a #1 pick and we seriously want to push him as a star" All-Star appearances.

Smart is the better player. Especially during the playoffs.

Tp to you both. I was tired of dealing with the Philly nonsense from mo at this point (he only cut wood three times hinkie he knew he was good). I think we would all agree the nets would jump at getting Marcus smart for simmons as he is exactly what they need and actually wants to play basketball. For those old enough to remember teams were not clamoring for knoblauch once he got the yips cause he was great with the twins early on. Also, for anyone saying that all star selections or all nba defensive or all nba are not determined by reputation or pedigree at all, is frankly a complete moron. This is very basically psychology that has been proven time and time again. If a player is a superstar or a number one pick they have nationally televised games, highlights on espn, podcasts and blogs written about them. This is why Derek jeter won a bunch of golden gloves. If a guy is an undrafted Rookie versus a number one pick and they put up marginally similar stats which guy makes all rookie first or second team? Even though I have spent thousands of hours on this blog proving this basic concept is one of the few things that honestly isn’t worth my time. There are countless examples of this across sports if someone wants to waste their time with google searches.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:10:35 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #5338 on: May 14, 2022, 09:31:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah I could care less about the injuries. The Raptors and Kawhi won with a lot of injury help in 2019 as well. Meanwhile the C's have been screwed numerous times because of injuries at the worst times.

Also, the C's have been missing Timelord the last 4 games and probably 5 if he can't go tomorrow. And he's also one of the C's better players so...

« Reply #5339 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Yeah I could care less about the injuries. The Raptors and Kawhi won with a lot of injury help in 2019 as well. Meanwhile the C's have been screwed numerous times because of injuries at the worst times.

Also, the C's have been missing Timelord the last 4 games and probably 5 if he can't go tomorrow. And he's also one of the C's better players so...

It has been an even-playing field. Smart was out, Timelord was out. Cancels out Middleton being out.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)