Author Topic: With the 45th pick the C’s select..  (Read 19085 times)

Re: With the 45th pick the C’s select..
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Funny how much attention the 45th pick in the draft is getting by Celtic fans this season.  The same fans who casually toss in 2nd round picks as worthless throw-ins in most trade discussions. When it becomes the only draft asset, suddenly it doesn't feel so worthless.

The 2nd round picks that Ainge has drafted for the most part have been worthless over the last 20 years. Think Abdel Nader and Ryan Gomes were the best players taken, which is just pathetic. Other teams like OKC and San Antonio seem to hit in the second round regularly. Hopefully this changes for the C’s now that Brad is GM.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Funny how much attention the 45th pick in the draft is getting by Celtic fans this season.  The same fans who casually toss in 2nd round picks as worthless throw-ins in most trade discussions. When it becomes the only draft asset, suddenly it doesn't feel so worthless.

The 2nd round picks that Ainge has drafted have for the most part been worthless over the last 20 years. Think Abdel Nader and Ryan Gomes were the best players taken, which is just pathetic. Other teams like OKC and San Antonio seem to hit in the second round regularly. Hopefully this changes for the C’s now that Brad is GM.
E'Twaun Moore is by far the best, he just barely played for us :P

Also, I don't think any team 'regularly' hits in the 2nd round.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 06:06:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Alex Antetokounmpo.  Giannis says he could be better than him, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The 2nd round picks that Ainge has drafted have for the most part been worthless over the last 20 years. Think Abdel Nader and Ryan Gomes were the best players taken, which is just pathetic. Other teams like OKC and San Antonio seem to hit in the second round regularly. Hopefully this changes for the C’s now that Brad is GM.

Big Baby and Powe forever.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I always forget about Powe. Snuffed out way too quickly. Big Baby really should have been quite a bit better than he was

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I always forget about Powe. Snuffed out way too quickly. Big Baby really should have been quite a bit better than he was

BBD could have been better, but for a 6’8” guy who couldn’t dunk, he came close to his ceiling.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 06:24:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

BBD could have been better, but for a 6’8” guy who couldn’t dunk, he came close to his ceiling.
More from a health perspective than anything. Probably because he was around 300lbs. I always preferred Sully to BBD, and am quite sad he never made it back to the league

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Forgot about Moore, good call. Although, I don’t thinks he’s better than Gomes. Ryan had 4 years where he was a good role player. His career averages are basically 10ppg, 5reb, 1.5ast. E’Twaun Moore’s career average: 5pts, 2reb, 1.5ast.

Some of the spurs players that I thought were second rounders, were late firsts. There top second round picks over the last 20 years: Ginobli, Scola, and Blair. Seattle, In that same time span drafted Lewis, Watson, Blount. Not regularly, but once in a while they hit on good players. C’s have not.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 07:17:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Forgot about Moore, good call. Although, I don’t thinks he’s better than Gomes. Ryan had 4 years where he was a good role player. His career averages are basically 10ppg, 5reb, 1.5ast. E’Twaun Moore’s career average: 5pts, 2reb, 1.5ast.

Some of the spurs players that I thought were second rounders, were late firsts. There top second round picks over the last 20 years: Ginobli, Scola, and Blair. Seattle, In that same time span drafted Lewis, Watson, Blount. Not regularly, but once in a while they hit on good players. C’s have not.
Yeah, Gomes' peak was undoubtedly better, just brief. Of course, neither of them were at their best in Boston :P

It seems like all the 2nd round hits for those teams were from a decade or so ago. Boston was never drafting guys as good as Ginobili, Lewis or Scola, but getting good role players out of the 2nd round, like Gomes, Powe and Big baby, is alright. I think 2nd rounders are going to get more valuable due to Jokic.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yeah, Gomes' peak was undoubtedly better, just brief. Of course, neither of them were at their best in Boston :P

It seems like all the 2nd round hits for those teams were from a decade or so ago. Boston was never drafting guys as good as Ginobili, Lewis or Scola, but getting good role players out of the 2nd round, like Gomes, Powe and Big baby, is alright. I think 2nd rounders are going to get more valuable due to Jokic.

Some teams have done really well with 2nd rounders over the past 20 years. Warriors with Gilbert Arenas, Draymond Green, Marc Jackson, and Monta Ellis.  Bucks with Michael Redd, Malcolm Brogdon, Rafer Allston, Ramon Sessions, Jodie Meeks, Ronald Murray, and Luc Mbah a Moute. We are over here comparing Gomes and Moore. Lol...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:11:25 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Thor is growing on me but doubt he be there at 45
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2021, 12:38:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Some teams have done really well with 2nd rounders over the past 20 years. Warriors with Gilbert Arenas, Draymond Green, Marc Jackson, and Monta Ellis.  Bucks with Michael Redd, Malcolm Brogdon, Rafer Allston, Ramon Sessions, Jodie Meeks, Ronald Murray, and Luc Mbah a Moute. We are over here comparing Gomes and Moore. Lol...
I feel like if you’re crediting Marc Jackson as a hit then Ryan Gomws and E’Twaun Moore are hits too

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 01:20:20 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I feel like if you’re crediting Marc Jackson as a hit then Ryan Gomws and E’Twaun Moore are hits too

That’s fair. So in 20 years, the C’s draft 2 serviceable bench players in the 2nd round and GS drafts 2 all stars in Redd/Green and a 20+ppg scorer in Ellis.  Hopefully Brad can find a diamond in the rough. C’s are overdue.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2021, 01:57:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That’s fair. So in 20 years, the C’s draft 2 serviceable bench players in the 2nd round and GS drafts 2 all stars in Redd/Green and a 20+ppg scorer in Ellis.  Hopefully Brad can find a diamond in the rough. C’s are overdue.
Golden State also drafted a 2x MVP at 7 and a 5x All-Star at 11, their drafting has been generally quite excellent in some aspects.

I don't know if we're 'overdue' though. Hits like that in the 2nd round are incredibly rare. There was one All-Star this year drafted in the 2nd round (Jokic). He was one of 5 non-lottery pick All-Stars, but most of those were picks immediately outside the lottery anyway (Giannis, Kawhi and Vucevic)

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fire GMBS if this pick is not an All Star.  :)