Author Topic: Maine Celtics  (Read 41880 times)

Maine Celtics
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Red Claws are now officially the Maine Celtics

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Maine Celtics
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have mixed feelings about this.  I really liked the Red Claws name.  I do like that they incorporated the lobster into the new logo, though.

And lets face it, I'll be buying the merch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 261
  • International Superstar
I realise it wouldn't have worked with the colour scheme, but it would have been brilliant if the logo had just been the old red lobster license plates.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408
Meh, not bad. I wish the team would rotate playing between the cities of Portland, Worcester, Springfield, and Providence. Do people actually go to the games in Maine? I saw a couple of the games on TV and it looks like they play in a high school gym. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Meh, not bad. I wish the team would rotate playing between the cities of Portland, Worcester, Springfield, and Providence. Do people actually go to the games in Maine? I saw a couple of the games on TV and it looks like they play in a high school gym.

Pretty much every game sold out last season.

Portland is one of the nicest cities in America. Great place to bring up young players IMO.

Not happy with the name change, some of the character of the team is being lost here.

And there should be no ambiguity if I ask someone "do you want to go watch the Celtics," or "I have Celtics tickets."

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Good news with this name change is that there will be some watchable Celtics basketball next year.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 02:55:20 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Yeah, I'm with kraidstar in that this could cause some confusion. That said, seeing "Maine" and "Celtics" together does my Maine-native heart good.

And who knew that there are Irish lobsters? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

No Pawtucket? We're getting a new soccer stadium.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973

I’d be a regular attendee of the PawCelts.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 03:04:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What was wrong with Red Claws?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

New soccer stadium? I didn't know that. Not related to New England Revolution I would assume.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They should bring a handful of games to Bangor. If we are good enough to host the state basketball tournament, we can host the G league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

New soccer stadium? I didn't know that. Not related to New England Revolution I would assume.

Here's the info:

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/politics/2021/02/04/ri-poised-approve-50-m-incentives-pawtucket-soccer-stadium/4388620001/

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408

Do they have a good size arena in Pawtucket? If so, then yes. All these locations are less than 2hrs from Boston and it would allow more fans to see the team. Less than an hour drive and I would definitely go to a few games.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 04:02:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Do they have a good size arena in Pawtucket? If so, then yes. All these locations are less than 2hrs from Boston and it would allow more fans to see the team. Less than an hour drive and I would definitely go to a few games.

I think it may be an uncovered stadium so no good. I'm not sure exactly they keep changing the plan. Breaking ground now in September but they've already cleared out all the trees etc.