Author Topic: Maine Celtics  (Read 41876 times)

Re: Maine Celtics
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2022, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just found Maine is playing live on NBC sports Boston.

Kabengele is having a big fourth quarter.  Semanic is having a good game too.  Here’s the box score: https://gleague.nba.com/game/ccg-vs-mne-2052200072?view=box-score

It's coming down to a final shot.  The Maine Celts are kind of choking this one away.

EDIT:  They closed it out.

I turned it on with 6 minutes left and they were down by 9.  They had a nice come back.  Kabengele is a joy to watch.  He’s always smiling and clearly loves playing.

I was surprised to see Kris Dunn playing in this league.

Yeah, I had the same observation of Kabengele.  I went to the second home game, and it was clear that Kabengele was loved by his teammates.  He's always enthusiastic and smiling. 

If anybody is remotely close to Portland, it's worth going to a game.  Every seat is a good one, but we got front row, center court seats (admittedly, bought pre-season) for $30 each.  The kids were featured on the jumbotron and got free hats, too. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Kabengele is having a big fourth quarter.  Semanic is having a good game too.  Here’s the box score: https://gleague.nba.com/game/ccg-vs-mne-2052200072?view=box-score

It's coming down to a final shot.  The Maine Celts are kind of choking this one away.

EDIT:  They closed it out.

I turned it on with 6 minutes left and they were down by 9.  They had a nice come back.  Kabengele is a joy to watch.  He’s always smiling and clearly loves playing.

I was surprised to see Kris Dunn playing in this league.

Yeah, I had the same observation of Kabengele.  I went to the second home game, and it was clear that Kabengele was loved by his teammates.  He's always enthusiastic and smiling. 

If anybody is remotely close to Portland, it's worth going to a game.  Every seat is a good one, but we got front row, center court seats (admittedly, bought pre-season) for $30 each.  The kids were featured on the jumbotron and got free hats, too.

Yeah, I bet that would be great for a family with kids. 

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2022, 10:37:00 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1219

That’s a nice line by Luka. Is he dominating just because he’s the biggest guy on the court? Or does he show some skills that could make him an NBA player? I’ve always been fascinated by his potential. But it’s not a good sign if someone like Pop gave up on him early in his career.

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2022, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That’s a nice line by Luka. Is he dominating just because he’s the biggest guy on the court? Or does he show some skills that could make him an NBA player? I’ve always been fascinated by his potential. But it’s not a good sign if someone like Pop gave up on him early in his career.

From the little I've seen, it's been mostly due to size, yeah.  Basically, throw it to the big guy.  But, tonight he was playing against some decent prospects (such as Vernon Carey) and did well.

In a one-game sample size of watching him up close, I looked like he was struggling with his dribble, his ability to catch smoothly, and his outside shot.  I assume the shot will come. 

It shouldn't surprise us that Luka is dominating the G-league.  He was just as good, or better, last season.  He averaged 28 / 11 / 3 in seven games for the Knicks affiliate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2022, 11:34:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973

While it's not a good sign Pop gave up on him, he was young when that happened, and is still young.  People mature, and sometimes they need a very hard wake-up call.  It is a good sign, for example, that he's sticking it out in the G-League rather than going to back to Europe where he could get paid more and be closer to home.

He was 19 when he came to the NBA, and a pandemic that prevented international travel interrupted his rookie season.  It's not crazy to come up with some pretty obvious reasons why adjusting to the NBA as an international player was too difficult for him initially.  I'm not sure if he makes it, but if he doesn't I think it will be more due to ability rather than mental fortitude.

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2022, 09:03:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
After watching portions of several of their games, I think that Davison is their best player - by far. He's got some tools, I think it's a more a matter of when he puts it together vs if.  I think also think Semanic has a chance to be a decent NBA player. He looks pretty solid and the fact that he's only 22 means he could still improve quite a bit.

I'll probably get some pushback on this but I think Kabangele is limited. He's got a power game that I don't think translates too well at the next level. His hands, footwork etc are not great. He's athletic as heck and that plus his size and motor make him very effective in the G League.  But your main attribute for the  next level can't just be hustle. You need skills and I just don't think he has enough of them.

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2022, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
After watching portions of several of their games, I think that Davison is their best player - by far. He's got some tools, I think it's a more a matter of when he puts it together vs if.  I think also think Semanic has a chance to be a decent NBA player. He looks pretty solid and the fact that he's only 22 means he could still improve quite a bit.

I'll probably get some pushback on this but I think Kabangele is limited. He's got a power game that I don't think translates too well at the next level. His hands, footwork etc are not great. He's athletic as heck and that plus his size and motor make him very effective in the G League.  But your main attribute for the  next level can't just be hustle. You need skills and I just don't think he has enough of them.

I agree with your observations.  I’ve been hopeful of Kabengele because I think he’s the type of player we need.  A center who can rebound, defend the rim, and cut to and play above the rim.  But I think you’re probably right about him and he is 25 now.

I like seeing Davison shooting 40% from 3 and averaging 6 assists.  I think he still needs to continue improving his 3 pt shot and play under more control.  There’s a good chance he will be able to contribute next year.

I’m excited about Samanic.  A knock on him was his lack of court vision.  The little I’ve seen him play, it hasn’t looked bad and he’s averaging 3 assists which is not bad for a big.  Given his age and the rough start to his career, he could still turn into a decent power forward.

Maine won 149-100 today by the way and are now 6-1.  They were on NBC Sports Boston earlier tonight.

https://gleague.nba.com/game/del-vs-mne-2052200090?view=box-score

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2022, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I watched most of today’s game. The gap between the level of play and the NBA was enormous - not just at the level of talent but defensive awareness and effort. Maine put up 149 in regulation - and they were fine but really the Delaware players gave half-hearted effort at best on defense and on the boards. Honestly it was a little shocking.

To me Davison looked to be the most talented Celtic as a possible 2-way player, especially taking his age into account, but it’s really hard to form an impression of what he do at the next level. He’d beat his man off the dribble and there would be a wide-open lane. Nobody waiting in the paint and no rotation to help. And they scored a ton on poorly defended fast breaks.

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2022, 11:21:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I watched most of today’s game. The gap between the level of play and the NBA was enormous - not just at the level of talent but defensive awareness and effort.

I think the biggest issue with the G-League is that most players are focused on themselves, not the team. Unless you’ve been dropped down from the NBA on a long term contract, most players are earning absolute peanuts.

This is where I’ve had an issue with term the ‘player empowerment era’. In reality, it’s just the elite players being as greedy as the team owners.

If they truely cared about players, they would have taken a tiny bit less in the CBA to give the G-League guys a living wage. Not only would a living wage help develop late bloomers, but more importantly, no longer force guys to go overseas on their own to support their families.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:35:47 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2022, 12:25:19 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
I watched the 2 games vs Capital City. CC is also a good G League squad and they play decent defense. The game where Maine won 105-103 was a pretty entertaining game to watch - and Davison played really well. Then CC came back the next night and won.

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
After starting the season with an 8-2 record, Maine Celtics forward Luka Samanic has been named G League Player of the Month.

Luka averaged 21.7 points and 11.4 rebounds in the month, and leads the G-League with 9 double-doubles in 10 games.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 02:00:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I agree with your observations.  I’ve been hopeful of Kabengele because I think he’s the type of player we need.  A center who can rebound, defend the rim, and cut to and play above the rim.  But I think you’re probably right about him and he is 25 now.

I like seeing Davison shooting 40% from 3 and averaging 6 assists.  I think he still needs to continue improving his 3 pt shot and play under more control.  There’s a good chance he will be able to contribute next year.

I’m excited about Samanic.  A knock on him was his lack of court vision.  The little I’ve seen him play, it hasn’t looked bad and he’s averaging 3 assists which is not bad for a big.  Given his age and the rough start to his career, he could still turn into a decent power forward.

Maine won 149-100 today by the way and are now 6-1.  They were on NBC Sports Boston earlier tonight.

https://gleague.nba.com/game/del-vs-mne-2052200090?view=box-score

I felt this way about Davison , as well . Even if it’s not playing for us ultimately it’s exciting because it’s good to have anybody that shows potential nba value . At the least maybe it’s the tipping point in another team accepting a future trade.

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 02:09:23 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973
After starting the season with an 8-2 record, Maine Celtics forward Luka Samanic has been named G League Player of the Month.

Luka averaged 21.7 points and 11.4 rebounds in the month, and leads the G-League with 9 double-doubles in 10 games.

When TL comes back, I hope the C’s release Vonleh and sign Samanic to a rest of season deal that’s not guaranteed next summer (like what Hauser got last year).  They can leave him in Maine if they want since we wouldn’t need his minutes — I’d just like him under contract before he signs elsewhere.

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

When TL comes back, I hope the C’s release Vonleh and sign Samanic to a rest of season deal that’s not guaranteed next summer (like what Hauser got last year).  They can leave him in Maine if they want since we wouldn’t need his minutes — I’d just like him under contract before he signs elsewhere.

Better off putting Davison on the Hauser plan and potentially making Samanic the new two-way player. My guess is they're weighing that against keeping the two non-guaranteed players along with the two medium trade exceptions for potentially acquiring a veteran or two once trade season kicks off.

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2022, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

Why release Vonleh, couldn't we release Kabengele and sign Samanic to a 2-way?  I am not sure we have the depth at big, even with RWill back, to release Vonleh, who is at least minimally useful.  Kabengele is never going to help the team.  He won't ever play a meaningful minute.  Vonleh can at least at a minimal level.