Author Topic: Maine Celtics  (Read 41877 times)

Re: Maine Celtics
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Meh, not bad. I wish the team would rotate playing between the cities of Portland, Worcester, Springfield, and Providence. Do people actually go to the games in Maine? I saw a couple of the games on TV and it looks like they play in a high school gym.
No Pawtucket? We're getting a new soccer stadium.

Do they have a good size arena in Pawtucket? If so, then yes. All these locations are less than 2hrs from Boston and it would allow more fans to see the team. Less than an hour drive and I would definitely go to a few games.

Not a bad idea and the Patriots Place concept of having shops along a stadium was a great idea! The one thing my brother and I keep talking about is that the Revolution needs to build a soccer specific stadium ideally in Boston close to the T. I think it would work so much better for the casual fan to take a ride to a game instead of having to drive. Suffolk Down would be the ideal place to build the same concept as the RI but as much as I like Kraft as a Patriots owner, the guy stinks as a Revolution owner.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 04:06:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408
What was wrong with Red Claws?

The logo is wack. New ones a little better...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Meh, not bad. I wish the team would rotate playing between the cities of Portland, Worcester, Springfield, and Providence. Do people actually go to the games in Maine? I saw a couple of the games on TV and it looks like they play in a high school gym.
No Pawtucket? We're getting a new soccer stadium.

Do they have a good size arena in Pawtucket? If so, then yes. All these locations are less than 2hrs from Boston and it would allow more fans to see the team. Less than an hour drive and I would definitely go to a few games.

Not a bad idea and the Patriots Place concept of having shops along a stadium was a great idea! The one thing my brother and I keep talking about is that the Revolution needs to build a soccer specific stadium ideally in Boston close to the T. I think it would work so much better for the casual fan to take a ride to a game instead of having to drive. Suffolk Down would be the ideal place to build the same concept as the RI but as much as I like Kraft as a Patriots owner, the guy stinks as a Revolution owner.

They are also doing this in Pawtucket :

https://www.valleybreeze.com/2020-11-10/pawtucket/train-station-target-2022-completion#.YKwrWS1h3q0

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 06:51:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What was wrong with Red Claws?

Branding.

Case in point:  My son is six.  He loves the Celtics.  He has a book about the Celtics, he wears Celtics gear, etc.

He has no excitement about the Maine Red Claws. They're just some random team to him that he doesn't care about. But the Maine Celtics?  He's already asking me to buy him a jersey.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I'm excited about the summer league. Does anyone know if Yam can come and play in Summer League games?

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I'm excited about the summer league. Does anyone know if Yam can come and play in Summer League games?

Looks like this is still tbd. Yam’s current team is saying they have him under contract thru next year; he’s sued and the most recent story I found says they’re in court. https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/yam-madar-danny-ainge-draft-nba/

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Maine Celtics- is simply a money making decision to sell merchandise. No surprise there.

Personally it makes no sense to have a logo of said nickname have nothing to do with the nickname. I don't think it makes much sense to call both your major league team and its minor league the same nickname. Even the Pawtucket Red Sox went by PawSox, and the new Worcester team- WooSox.

Keep the new logo, just take out Celtics and put Red Claws back in there.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 261
  • International Superstar

Pretty much every game sold out last season.

Portland is one of the nicest cities in America. Great place to bring up young players IMO.

Not to get too off track but Portland has been subject to pretty significant changes over the last 20 years or so, resulting that (to my native eyes) more or less has very little of what made it lovely left. The various city council members and developers have been trying to turn it into "day trip Boston" since the early-to-mid 80's or so, though, so it isn't surprising, but it is a bit sad.

The Expo building's basketball court does look more or less like a high school gym, though. You're spot on there.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477

Pretty much every game sold out last season.

Portland is one of the nicest cities in America. Great place to bring up young players IMO.

Not to get too off track but Portland has been subject to pretty significant changes over the last 20 years or so, resulting that (to my native eyes) more or less has very little of what made it lovely left. The various city council members and developers have been trying to turn it into "day trip Boston" since the early-to-mid 80's or so, though, so it isn't surprising, but it is a bit sad.

The Expo building's basketball court does look more or less like a high school gym, though. You're spot on there.

I mean... Boston and Portland are both a lot nicer since the 80's. What is so different about Portland besides the gradual influx of wealth and restaurants? The massive boost in restaurant quality alone is cause for celebration. There has been some crazy gentrification, and rent is totally out of control, but that speaks to America's increasing economic divide more than it does anything. So you get hipsters, tourists, and high rent. But I'll take that over crackpipes, shootings, and condemned buildings.

It's true something gets lost in translation - like the comfort of an authentic, "local" pub etc. But the alternative isn't great.

Was just in Manchester, NH the other day. That town is soooo sketchy. It's run-down, doesn't feel particularly safe. I doubt they draw a lot of tourists there. It's not a good look for NH's biggest city. They have an arena which could house the Red Claws, and a large population base in NH is Mass right nearby that would pack the stadium.

If i'm the C's though I wouldn't want my kids there. I'll take the hipsters. And Portland is a better ambassador for the region. In an era where impressing players is becoming increasingly important, a town like Portland reflects well on the parent organization. It's worth whatever ticket sales they are leaving on the table by not moving to a place like Manchester etc. and exposing impressionable young minds to it. Though the Expo is indeed small and high-school-esque, as Goldstar noted. But it's also right off 295, which helps.

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
You mentioned the big G word (which is more or less all I hear about now from the home front) but the issue isn't that things are nicer, it's that the local prospects for meaningful employment have been creeping steadily out of proportion to the cost of living, even outside of the penninsula. Of course, now I live in one of the most gentrified cities on earth, so it's a multifaceted, complex issue.

Overall I think Portland's in a very precarious situation given how much Maine in general is in thrall to tourism (and the coast in particular) at the expense of more sustainable local industries (compared to the service sector).

Maybe we should take our discussion about Portland to PMs to avoid cluttering the thread, but it is fun to talk about it :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You mentioned the big G word (which is more or less all I hear about now from the home front) but the issue isn't that things are nicer, it's that the local prospects for meaningful employment have been creeping steadily out of proportion to the cost of living, even outside of the penninsula. Of course, now I live in one of the most gentrified cities on earth, so it's a multifaceted, complex issue.

Overall I think Portland's in a very precarious situation given how much Maine in general is in thrall to tourism (and the coast in particular) at the expense of more sustainable local industries (compared to the service sector).

Maybe we should take our discussion about Portland to PMs to avoid cluttering the thread, but it is fun to talk about it :)

You're not talking about "real" Maine, anyway.  Portland is in Northern Massachusetts. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 01:19:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I like Portland. Not a big Manchester fan. 

Also like the “Maine Celtics” and the logo.  I wouldn’t eat green lobster though (maybe on St Patrick’s day).

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408

Also like the “Maine Celtics” and the logo.  I wouldn’t eat green lobster though (maybe on St Patrick’s day).

I wouldn’t go to Manchester, NH, but I would go to the Mass Mutual center in Springfield, The DD center in Providence, or the DCU center in Worcester to watch a game. It would be great  if the team could travel to local arenas throughout their season so more fans could watch them play.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 05:14:56 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

You're not talking about "real" Maine, anyway.  Portland is in Northern Massachusetts. ;)

Might as well be at this point, but the tourists don't just stop in Portland (I haven't lived there for a number of years, so this might have changed).  ;D

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 06:56:04 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114

A green lobster is fresh, active and ready to go. A red lobster is cooked.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.