Author Topic: R.I.P ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler  (Read 4669 times)

R.I.P ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler
« on: March 13, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Boxing legend Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died at age 66.

Hagler, a former undisputed middleweight world champion, held a 62-3-2 record and won 52 fights by knockout. He ruled his division until a controversial split decision loss to Sugar Ray Leonard in 1987, which was his last fight.

"Today, unfortunately my beloved husband Marvelous Marvin passed away unexpectedly at his home here in New Hampshire," his wife Kay Hagler wrote on Facebook.

Hagler was known to be ill but a cause of death has not been confirmed.

"Marvelous Marvin Hagler was among the greatest athletes that Top Rank ever promoted," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said.

"He was a man of honour and a man of his word, and he performed in the ring with unparalleled determination. He was a true athlete and a true man. I will miss him greatly."

Hagler defended his middlweight world titles 12 times. He is regarded as one of the greatest fighters of all time and perhaps the finest southpaw.

"I've gotten meaner since I've become champion," he told Sports Illustrated back in 1982. "They're all trying to take something from me that I've worked long and hard for, years for, and I like the feeling of being champ.

"There's a monster that comes out of me in the ring. I think it goes back to the days when I had nothing. It's hunger. I think that's what the monster is, and it's still there."

Hagler first won the WBA and WBC middleweight titles from Alan Minter via third-round TKO, at Wembley Arena in September 1980. He won the inaugural IBF crown with a fourth-round knockout of Wilford Scypion in May 1983, which he followed up later that year by beating Roberto Duran.

Hagler won the classic fight known as 'The War' against Thomas 'Hit Man' Hearns in April 1985, via a third round knockout. The first round of that fight is arguably the greatest in boxing history, a vicious and relentless slugfest. Hagler also knocked out John Mugabi before his fateful clash with Leonard.

"If they cut my bald head open, they will find one big boxing glove. That's all I am. I live it," Hagler once said of his career.

Hagler legally changed his name to add the 'Marvelous' moniker in 1982, annoyed that ring announcers weren't using his nickname. It became iconic and will never be forgotten by those who witnessed his career.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: R.I.P ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 09:05:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
One of my favorite fighters ever.

That Hearns fight one of the greatest ever.

Losing to Sugar Ray Leonard broke my heart.

Rest In Peace Marvelous Marvin Hagler. 

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Heyday of great middleweights.  Hagler, Hearns and Leonard.  That was an unbelievable era for boxing.  Hearns-Hagler was ridiculous.   I remember when Hagler was an up and coming boxer out of Brockton.  Trying to get his shot.   He made history with Hearns and Leonard.  Should have won the Leonard fight.

RIP

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
One of the Kings departs.
ok fine

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Marvelous Marvin is my favorite boxer of all time. He was just a beast. 67 fights, 52 kOs and he was only knocked down ONCE in his career...that is  amazing.

Hagler-Hearns: rarely is a 3 round fight a classic but that may have been the greatest 3 rounds ever. Just an amazing fight!

Hagler-Leonard: I still think Hagler was robbed and I wish Leonard would have given him a rematch. Leonard retired after the fight and then came out of retirement after Hagler retired. Hagler made a bunch of concessions in order to get the fight...Leonard wanted a larger ring, bigger gloves and only 12 rounds vs 15 and Hagler gave him all he wanted.

RIP Marvelous One and thank you for for the great fights!
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:45:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I met him once, at a Chinese restaurant lounge in North Conway.  He seemed pretty chill.  RIP.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
One of the greats.  RIP

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 11:58:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
RIP Marvelous one!!!!!

You gave me and a lot of New Englanders a LOT of joy watching you box and represent. You were a modest, humble lunch pail guy AND true champion!!! A Celtic, if you will.

From the fights early on in the smoke filled rat infested Old Boston Arena to the loss in Philly to Willie the Worm, to redemption at the Hynes against Willie to  the Antoufermo  fight in the Gah-den, the great fight against the Hit-Man to the heartbreak and rip-off that you actually WONvs Leonard, I was there for them all and THANK YOU.

I LOVED boxing before you , and loved it even more when you fought. I also walked from it just like you did after your title was stolen from you. The “Sweet Science” wasn’t sweet anymore.

RIP CHAMP!!

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
One of my favorite fighters ever.

That Hearns fight one of the greatest ever.

Losing to Sugar Ray Leonard broke my heart.

Rest In Peace Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

Every word truth, footey old friend. TP

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 12:50:05 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
RIP Marvelous one!!!!!

You gave me and a lot of New Englanders a LOT of joy watching you box and represent. You were a modest, humble lunch pail guy AND true champion!!! A Celtic, if you will.

From the fights early on in the smoke filled rat infested Old Boston Arena to the loss in Philly to Willie the Worm, to redemption at the Hynes against Willie to  the Antoufermo  fight in the Gah-den, the great fight against the Hit-Man to the heartbreak and rip-off that you actually WONvs Leonard, I was there for them all and THANK YOU.

I LOVED boxing before you , and loved it even more when you fought. I also walked from it just like you did after your title was stolen from you. The “Sweet Science” wasn’t sweet anymore.

RIP CHAMP!!

Marvelous testament to a great champ. May his soul Rest In Peace, Amen.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 01:51:04 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Hagler vs. Hearns
Round One
Las Vegas
🗓 April 15, 1985

The greatest 3 minutes in boxing history.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 03:20:22 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Best Middleweight Boxing era ever...Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran....Epic Battles....Leonard sorta cheated vs Hagler with all the new rules, because of his "eye injury". IMO

RIP Mr. Hagler.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.