Author Topic: If we keep the 14th pick  (Read 13956 times)

Re: If we keep the 14th pick
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:20 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My preference would be to use our picks to trade up, but if not I prefer the wings that should hopefully be available around that range (Bey, Hampton, Nesmith, Williams). I don't really like any of the guards who might be (Lewis, Maxey, Terry) and would pass on them.  If none of the wings are available, Jalen Smith is a decent option.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

I have long thought of Maxey as a strong candidate for the Cs to draft at #14. He fits the DA draft mold perfectly. Ainge typically targets high end high school recruits (hasn't drafted a player in the lottery ranked lower then a 90 by the ESPN 100), he usually looks past college 3pt shooting Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Langford). Likes guards with + length, and seems to prefer guys who project as + defenders.
Maxey and Hampton really fit the bill of a Danny Ainge lotto pick.

Guys who fit that similar description but are projected lower in the draft are Dotson, Quickley and Hagans. Might be interested in one of them in the 2nd round if he doesn't go for Maxey or Hampton in the 1st round
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

I have long thought of Maxey as a strong candidate for the Cs to draft at #14. He fits the DA draft mold perfectly. Ainge typically targets high end high school recruits (hasn't drafted a player in the lottery ranked lower then a 90 by the ESPN 100), he usually looks past college 3pt shooting Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Langford). Likes guards with + length, and seems to prefer guys who project as + defenders.
Maxey and Hampton really fit the bill of a Danny Ainge lotto pick.

Guys who fit that similar description but are projected lower in the draft are Dotson, Quickley and Hagans. Might be interested in one of them in the 2nd round if he doesn't go for Maxey or Hampton in the 1st round

Couldn't find this post in the other thread. Agree on the types Ainge likes.  Quickley looks good if no guard early...

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

So what about Maxey?

I agree with you on who DA drafts.

How do feel that approach fits with BS system?

A few reporters/writers have come out and said it is the wrong approach as it hasn't work as well with the later picks. Lots of talk that if everyone is green-lit and positionless then DA needs to draft size and shooting not defense and quickness.

Without diving to deep into past picks it feels like DA is more willing to draft more NBA ready role player types with lower ceilings outside of the top 20 during the Stevens era.

Grant Williams #22 in 2019 (projected in predraft as a low ceiling high floor guy 3 year college player)
Carsen Edwards #33 in 2019 (elite shooting 3 year college player)
Semi Ojelye #37 2018 ( 3 year college player)
Ante Zizic #23 2017 (projected as a high end role player)
RJ Hunter #28 2016 ( 3 year college player who projected as an elite shooter)

With this sample size it seems fair to predict that top 20 DA focuses on higher ceiling prospects with elite highschool rankings and the tools to be starters or even allstars. Outside the top 20 the focus seems more on guys who are more project able as role players with a clear NBA skill.

Projecting that onto this draft

#14 should be a player like Hampton, Maxey , Green, or McDaniels. 

#26/#30 should be Bane, Tillman, Azubuike, Riller, Tillie, Prichard or T Bey 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
RJ Hampton, seeing much more press on him.  He's the guy at 14!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 06:40:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
RJ Hampton, seeing much more press on him.  He's the guy at 14!

Feels like to much smoke around Hampton to the Celtics, DA usually keeps his intentions secretive.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 08:47:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
My preference would be to use our picks to trade up, but if not I prefer the wings that should hopefully be available around that range (Bey, Hampton, Nesmith, Williams). I don't really like any of the guards who might be (Lewis, Maxey, Terry) and would pass on them.  If none of the wings are available, Jalen Smith is a decent option.

Pretty much in this same camp. Nesmith stands out to me. Haliburton would be great if we could move up to around 7-8. I don't like any of the guards projected in the 14 range and I would look hard at Smith as well if we keep the pick.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 09:14:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My picks as of now..

14. Achiuwa - If he killed the workout/3pt has improved. He has the ceiling to cause tough times for Bam/Giannis. May need to potentially trade up.

Trade 26 and 30 for a future 1st

47. Peyton Pritchard.  Can play backup point but also as a C&S sharpshooter.  Reminds me a bit of Dragic/Van Vleet.  Tough and clutch.  But also can be streaky + low defensive ceiling.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I want nothing to do with Nesmith or Jalen Smith

Every time I watch them they just look like busts to me.

Would be happy with Hampton or Terry
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Givony is speculating on the Lowe post podcast that Hayes either goes #4 to Bulls, #7 to Pistons or falls into the 10-15 range.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Givony is speculating on the Lowe post podcast that Hayes either goes #4 to Bulls, #7 to Pistons or falls into the 10-15 range.
He'd be an insane steal at 14

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Maybe... I dont know, not a huge fan of his game(at 14th pick).  Not explosive or quick.  There are pgs with comparable attributes later in the draft.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Maybe... I dont know, not a huge fan of his game.  Not explosive or quick.  There are pgs with comparable attributes later in the draft.
Huh? I don't think that's true at all.

He's 6'5, has a 6'8.5" wingspan (same measurements as Devin Booker basically), and has a super versatile game. I don't think any guard in this draft possesses his combination of size, play-reading, footwork, craftiness and scoring besides maybe Ball, but I think Hayes is a better shooter and a more crafty finisher. Hayes is also a pretty elite passer. I also think you're wrong about his athleticism - when it's his time to go he's as quick as anyone else on the court.

Very reminiscent of D'Angelo Russell.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Maybe... I dont know, not a huge fan of his game(at 14th pick).  Not explosive or quick.  There are pgs with comparable attributes later in the draft.

Hayes is the best PG in this draft (yes - better than Ball)

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 09:15:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Hayes is the best PG in this draft (yes - better than Ball)
Agreed