Author Topic: This team needs shooting more than they need a center  (Read 16356 times)

Re: This team needs shooting more than they need a center
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Celtics need Lou Williams off the bench, but, they don't have him. Let's see if they can get by without him.
Don't think we need a Lou Williams type of player. We already have a go-to guy for the second unit in Kanter. Not to mention, we usually keep at least one of Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum on the floor. That's enough firepower in my book.

The way I see it, we need a 3+D swing(PF/SF). It's important that he's a good switch defender cause Kanter is terrible at defending the pick n roll. Can't think of a single player who fits this description and might become available.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When exactly did Carsen Edwards become a guy that can put up 30 points in a hurry in the NBA? Is this all based on one preseason quarter in which Edwards got blistering hot against one of the worst teams in the NBA's end of bench scrubs and G League guys they had on the team for preseason practices?
Because other than that one quarter, Edwards has shown to be a tremendously inefficient scorer and bad shooter from deep.

Edwards is only shooting 30% from the field and 31% from three in Boston and is taking 19.5 shots a game in the G League to score 20 points a game. He is shooting an even worse 26.8% from three in the G League and even there has not hit 30 points in a game.

He is a 2nd rounder who needs to prove he can play within a system to get minutes. He is not a top of the draft talent that you would game plan to get the rock to take advantage of his greatness.

The idea that Stevens needs to change his system to better utilize Edwards is absurd. Edwards needs to change his game to better fit in the team's systems, much the way Kemba, Jayson, Jaylen and Hayward has had to do, and they are stars.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 03:05:32 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
"Can put up 30 points in a hurry"

That's a heck of a statement. He only scored 30 points 9 times in college out of 108 games, while having the entire offense catered towards him playing inferior competition. (and a shorter 3 point line)

That one preseason game got you pretty excited I guess huh?

It's easier to score in the NBA than it is in college. Ish Smith just scored an easy 27 points last night with very little resistance, without hitting threes. If a guy like Edwards gets hot from 3 that can add up to 30 points very quickly.

Stevens is giving minutes to guys who maintain "good position" like Ojeleye instead of giving minutes to guys who actually have potential. Honestly, even if Ainge brings in a shooter Stevens won't run anything to get him good looks anyway.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He didn't do it in college, he doesn't in g league but he will in the NBA... Easily...

When he gets hot... How many times did he get hot.

Once I can get hot from the 3.. Maybe Stevens should play me 25mpg

A player who can EASILY  score 30 doesn't go 30th but he is in the lottery,

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Edwards this season reminds me of Eddie House as a rookie playing for Pat Riley. You could see there was talent there and the coach loved him but he couldn't depend on him yet so opportunities were sparse.

Might not happen for Edwards this season. Not worried about him if it doesn't happen this year. There is talent there and good things ahead for him in a Celtics uniform. We just might not see it until next season.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"Can put up 30 points in a hurry"

That's a heck of a statement. He only scored 30 points 9 times in college out of 108 games, while having the entire offense catered towards him playing inferior competition. (and a shorter 3 point line)

That one preseason game got you pretty excited I guess huh?

It's easier to score in the NBA than it is in college. Ish Smith just scored an easy 27 points last night with very little resistance, without hitting threes. If a guy like Edwards gets hot from 3 that can add up to 30 points very quickly.

Stevens is giving minutes to guys who maintain "good position" like Ojeleye instead of giving minutes to guys who actually have potential. Honestly, even if Ainge brings in a shooter Stevens won't run anything to get him good looks anyway.
Its decidedly not easier to score against NBA defenders. Plenty of dynamite college players can't get it done in the NBA.

As others have pointed out, he's struggling and the idea that we should tell Tatum, Wanamaker, and Brown to stand in the corner while he figures it out in a live game is far sillier than having Carsen stand in the corner.

They gave Carsen first crack at the bench scorer roll to start the season. Had him try to run some offense, it didn't go well and his role got pruned back. Just doesn't have the confidence or experience to make it work at the NBA just yet.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Edwards this season reminds me of Eddie House as a rookie playing for Pat Riley. You could see there was talent there and the coach loved him but he couldn't depend on him yet so opportunities were sparse.

Might not happen for Edwards this season. Not worried about him if it doesn't happen this year. There is talent there and good things ahead for him in a Celtics uniform. We just might not see it until next season.
Yeah that's a good comparison. They wanted him to take on that role, but it didn't work out after an exciting pre-season and early minutes in the rotation.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 04:27:05 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
This team is applying load management at the moment, but on the court, not off the court like some others.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 06:53:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Get Bertans in Danny >:(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We need someone like eddie house/leandro barbosa. From what I can see, when the second unit is on, the spacing is very tight and the defenders can zero in on our 2 scoring threats easier. I love Kanter and Gwill and what they bring on the court, but when we play them together with smart esp or wanamaker+ 2 starters, the lack of spacing really show.

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Almost everyone on the roster is an above average shooter except Smart.

If you want to trade Smart for shooting, that's fine, but just say that.

Smart, Tatum and filler and Memphis pick for Beal might work.

So does Smart and Langford for Bertans and IT...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Past two games excluded, I've thought our bench has been upper tier so far this season. In fact, it's the starters who start the game slow and the bench who normally pulls us even or extends a lead.

Wanamaker has been really good this year, but I think he's playing through something with his back right now.

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Celtics are number 20 as a team in 3%
Number 11 in attempts .
Not good
Get Bertans for a couple of are unused young guys.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If you remove Smart, Theis, and G. Williams from the 3 point numbers, Boston goes from 35% to 36.69% or from 20th to 7th in the league.  Goes up even more if you take out Edwards.  That is almost 10 shots a game between those 4 at a very low percentage.  The team doesn't need more shooters it just needs its 3 (or 4) crappiest ones to stop shooting so much and let the better shooters shoot the ball more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I agree the Cs are best served adding a knock down shooter to their bench rotation. Ideally a 4/5 type bigger stretch 4 who can play spot minutes at the 5.

One player who I might be worth looking at is Markief Morris, he is currently making 3.2mill this season with an option for 3.3mill next year that he will likely decline. With Detriot looking to likely blow it up he could be an interesting fit. Maybe Poirier and a late 1st for Morris? (assuming the parting with Marcus Morris is viewed as amicable in the locker room).

Its also worth considering that the playoff rotation will likely feature 9 players.

I see this team as having 6 locks to play every playoff game (if healthy)

1 Kemba Walker
2 Jaylen Brown
3 Gordon Hayward
4 Jayson Tatum
5 Daniel Theis
6 Smart

After that..

Kanter,  would be a lock except he can be forced of the court based on match-ups
Wanamaker,  has been super solid but doesn't really move the needle (could be vital if any injuries to top 6 - theis)
G Williams, shoot will dictate playoff viability
Semi, gets minutes vs the Bucks
R Williams, wild card coming back healthy and producing could see him force his way in as the 7th guy

Looking at this roster with the playoffs in mind its clear how players like Morris, Bertans, or Bjelica could be very important for a deep playoff run
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet