Author Topic: 2019-2020 Bruins Season  (Read 36009 times)

Re: 2019-2020 Bruins Season
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
But the Boston Bruins goaltender apparently provided more insight into his decision to leave the team in two phone conversations with WEEI's Greg Hill.

Hill said he spoke Tuesday on the phone with Rask, who told him he decided to leave the Toronto bubble due to a specific medical emergency involving his daughter.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

"I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter," Hill said Wednesday on WEEI. "Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned.

"It was suggested they seek medical help. Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him -- he did tell me -- as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid."

Hill also said Rask -- who has three daughters with his wife, Jasmiina -- had a conversation with his daughter that factored into his decision to return home.

"He did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time," Hill said.

"Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked."

In others news, Game 5 is 2-1 Bruins going into the 3rd.

The people who crapped all of over the guy should be ashamed of themselves.

Huge PP goal to end the 2nd.

Eh, I still think we need more information before we can officially be ashamed of ourselves. First of all, we were told that his family was 'safe and healthy'; and before the family emergency, he told the media that the games were dull and felt like exhibition games. There's no reason to feel bad when you are basing your opinion on these factors.

We honestly still have no idea what this emergency is, but if it is short term, it's not like Tukka has any plans of returning either. There were also rumblings that he was out golfing yesterday. That last point is just a rumor so I am won't give it any credence unless more comes out, but I think based on the information we previously knew, we were all totally warranted in bashing Tukka.

Honestly, I don't know why this whole thing is such a secret anyway. Why say his family is safe and healthy? Why not reveal vague details about what's wrong so we can sympathize with him? The whole thing sounds a little bizarre. Anyway, great to see the Bs doing well and hopefully they will be up 3-1 in the series in about 10 minutes or so.

So, honest question:  why be so invested in Tuukka if you don’t follow the Bs closely?  I say this because I assume a close fan would know that today’s win was the series clincher, not a 3-1 lead.

If you’re just a casual fan, why bash a guy you don’t know a ton about?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just don't understand sports fans that think athletes owe them something.  If you don't like the product you are given don't support it.  But these are human beings and if their employers choose to oblige them it's between them.

Anyhow, on to the next round.  I'm reasonably confident Halak is up to this task.

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
But the Boston Bruins goaltender apparently provided more insight into his decision to leave the team in two phone conversations with WEEI's Greg Hill.

Hill said he spoke Tuesday on the phone with Rask, who told him he decided to leave the Toronto bubble due to a specific medical emergency involving his daughter.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

"I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter," Hill said Wednesday on WEEI. "Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned.

"It was suggested they seek medical help. Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him -- he did tell me -- as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid."

Hill also said Rask -- who has three daughters with his wife, Jasmiina -- had a conversation with his daughter that factored into his decision to return home.

"He did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time," Hill said.

"Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked."

In others news, Game 5 is 2-1 Bruins going into the 3rd.

The people who crapped all of over the guy should be ashamed of themselves.

Huge PP goal to end the 2nd.

Eh, I still think we need more information before we can officially be ashamed of ourselves. First of all, we were told that his family was 'safe and healthy'; and before the family emergency, he told the media that the games were dull and felt like exhibition games. There's no reason to feel bad when you are basing your opinion on these factors.

We honestly still have no idea what this emergency is, but if it is short term, it's not like Tukka has any plans of returning either. There were also rumblings that he was out golfing yesterday. That last point is just a rumor so I am won't give it any credence unless more comes out, but I think based on the information we previously knew, we were all totally warranted in bashing Tukka.

Honestly, I don't know why this whole thing is such a secret anyway. Why say his family is safe and healthy? Why not reveal vague details about what's wrong so we can sympathize with him? The whole thing sounds a little bizarre. Anyway, great to see the Bs doing well and hopefully they will be up 3-1 in the series in about 10 minutes or so.

So, honest question:  why be so invested in Tuukka if you don’t follow the Bs closely?  I say this because I assume a close fan would know that today’s win was the series clincher, not a 3-1 lead.

If you’re just a casual fan, why bash a guy you don’t know a ton about?

Yep, good catch. I watched the first 3 games, but have been unable to tune in to the last couple. I lost count. I do follow the Bs, but not as close as I do the Cs. I apologize for sounding (and being) uninformed.

And, I am not bashing him. I was responding to the comment that we should all be ashamed of ourselves for what we said about him. Based on the information we were presented at the time of Tukka's family being safe and healthy and him having no real interest in being there, I think it was perfectly reasonable of any fan to be critical. When BringToughnessBack presented news that something actually was wrong, I commented how I would take everything I said back if that were true.

Anyway, no reason to challenge somebody's fandom (and how invested I am in the team has nothing to do with this situation). We clearly weren't presented with all the information up front (and we still aren't for whatever reason). I still find the whole thing a bit bizarre.

Also, I disagree with KGs Knee's post about athletes owing us something. They get paid a lot of money to play a game they love. This money comes from television contracts, merchandise, ticket sales, etc from the fans who support them. If Tukka had just up and left because he was bored (as I mentioned, not the case anymore), then fans have every right to tear him apart. These guys are lucky they play sports people want to pay money for rather than curling or javelin throw or whatever.

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well, this next series will most likely produce team that goes on to play for the Cup. Tampa poses significant challenges but should be fun to watch.

Has anyone heard any update on Tuuka Rask’s daughter? I hope she gets better whatever the issues are. It goes to show in life, never jump to conclusions without getting all the facts. If only we would embrace empathy over a rush to judgement, the world would be a much better place to live.

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Game 1 sure did go about as well as you could have hoped for. The 1st line was dominant, Halak stepped up with a huge effort in net, and most importantly, we got the win.

But I suspect this is going to be a long back-and-forth series. Getting the upper hand early in the series could be critical.

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Game 1 sure did go about as well as you could have hoped for. The 1st line was dominant, Halak stepped up with a huge effort in net, and most importantly, we got the win.

But I suspect this is going to be a long back-and-forth series. Getting the upper hand early in the series could be critical.

Yeah, the teams are evenly matched.  Hopefully we’re talking Vancouver 2011 rather than St. Louis 2019.  Whoever wins this series has a great shot at the Cup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Hope so, but we've got to stay focused and realize there's A TON of work to do.

Remember, a few years ago the B's played the Lightning and also beat them in Game 1 (I think in a blowout actually, not 100% sure) on the road. After that, Tampa won the next 4 games and the series.

Yeah, different year, circumstances, teams and players. But there's a long way left.

I do agree with @Roy though that I think the team that wins this series has a great chance at reaching the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm not as sold on the Islanders or Flyers though they are good teams too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Great win in Game 1! Got a little dicey at the end, and Boston had some really good chances at scoring another 2-3 goals, but they played quite well overall, especially Halak and the first line. I agree that this is likely to be a back-and-forth series—at least 6 games, IMO. And I agree that the winner of this series should end up representing the East in the Cup finals.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Remember, a few years ago the B's played the Lightning and also beat them in Game 1 (I think in a blowout actually, not 100% sure) on the road. After that, Tampa won the next 4 games and the series.

Yeah, different year, circumstances, teams and players. But there's a long way left.

I do agree with @Roy though that I think the team that wins this series has a great chance at reaching the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm not as sold on the Islanders or Flyers though they are good teams too

Lol - Don't remind me of a ECSF match-up where a BOS team wins the first game and then loses 4 straight (2018-19 Cs/Bucks). Just stay confident that the the Bs are feeling good (with Halak in net) and will deservedly win it all this year. Btw, I am still confused/bummed at how the Bs went from by far 1st down to 4th. It's too bad the round-robin games could have that much of an effect. Guess they probably 'earned' it by going 0-3-0.

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Lol - Don't remind me of a ECSF match-up where a BOS team wins the first game and then loses 4 straight (2018-19 Cs/Bucks). Just stay confident that the the Bs are feeling good (with Halak in net) and will deservedly win it all this year. Btw, I am still confused/bummed at how the Bs went from by far 1st down to 4th. It's too bad the round-robin games could have that much of an effect. Guess they probably 'earned' it by going 0-3-0.

The round-robin idea stunk, as anyone with any sense should know that even great teams could be very rusty after 3 months off, and that's exactly what happened with the Bruins. A team that was the best through multiple months of the regular season (pre-COVID) should never end up the 4 seed (or even the third or second seed). But that'll just make the Cup title all the more enjoyable.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

The round-robin idea stunk, as anyone with any sense should know that even great teams could be very rusty after 3 months off, and that's exactly what happened with the Bruins. A team that was the best through multiple months of the regular season (pre-COVID) should never end up the 4 seed (or even the third or second seed). But that'll just make the Cup title all the more enjoyable.

Some of the B's players admitted they didn't really try during that round. Many thought they were just saying that "as an excuse", but I mean since the real thing started for them they are now 5-1 and have looked really good. So maybe there was truth to that. If we're being honest too, even the opponents we played in the Round Robin (Washington, Tampa, Philly) all looked really sluggish, just a little less than us though so they beat us all those games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Man, that 3rd goal by the Bruins to tie the game there was a well earned goal.  You almost felt like they had to score with the pressure they were putting on.

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Man, that 3rd goal by the Bruins to tie the game there was a well earned goal.  You almost felt like they had to score with the pressure they were putting on.

Yeah, that whole sequence was super-impressive. After that ridiculous Coleman goal, it seemed like it might be over. Let's hope we can get the W in OT.

Edit:  :'( Oh well - on to game 3...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:13:03 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2020, 10:03:45 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Here's hoping. Come on Bruins

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey