Poll

Who should the C's draft if they land 4th? (no Doncic, Ayton or Bagley)

Bamba
Porter Jr.
Trae Young
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Collin Sexton
Other Prospect
We Have Enough Young Guys, Trade the Pick

Author Topic: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...  (Read 7765 times)

Re: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
My vote's for Bamba.

In the short term you could bring him along slowly to develop under Horford's wing. Much less disruptive to our rotation than Porter Jr would be and could valuable in matching size against some of the bigger teams out there like Detroit, Philly, and even Toronto.

In the long term I believe in the talent. A fully developed Bamba in contention for best defensive big in basketball. Give him a few seasons under professor Horford's wing, lock him in the gym shooting 3's in the off-season and you might just come out with the type of Monster that makes us a matchup nightmare against most teams and allows Kyrie, Tatum, and Hayward to feast knowing the defense is covered.

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
trade for a star.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What do people think of Trae Young?  He’s putting up pretty impressive numbers 30 PPG and 10 APG. Seems Curry like.  Not a need for us but you should always try to draft the BPA.  Maybe you could even trade down a couple spots for him, and be Irving’s understudy for some years.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
What do people think of Trae Young?  He’s putting up pretty impressive numbers 30 PPG and 10 APG. Seems Curry like.  Not a need for us but you should always try to draft the BPA.  Maybe you could even trade down a couple spots for him, and be Irving’s understudy for some years.

He's putting up never, ever done before numbers. Best college season I have ever seen, Maybe Durant was better thats it. Hes twice the passer Lonzo Ball was last year and is scoring 4 more points per game than Durants 26ppg.

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's putting up never, ever done before numbers. Best college season I have ever seen, Maybe Durant was better thats it. Hes twice the passer Lonzo Ball was last year and is scoring 4 more points per game than Durants 26ppg.
Man, you're really getting ahead of yourself. Never before seen numbers??? What are you talking about? Even in the 3 point era Shaq had more gaudy numbers as a starter. Michael Beasley wasn't far off either.

I'm not sure why you think his passing is so amazing either. I'm not a Lonzo fan by any means, but many of Young's assists are pretty simple drive and kick threes - not some amazing display of playmaking
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

He scares me because he’ll likely never even be an average defender.  The tools just aren’t there, and he also doesn’t put in the effort (might also be a side effect of his high usage rate on offense).  Everybody has a good PG nowadays, and I go down the list of starting guards and struggle to pick out many names that I think this guy can handle defensively.  He has to be a heck of an offensive player to be a net positive for his team.

That said, he very well might be. Not sure how well he’ll finish inside against NBA length, but his passing and shooting are legit and should translate.  High risk, high reward guy.  Glad I’m not the GM having to make a decision on him.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think Porter will be long gone, but that's who I'd take, even if he's a bit redundant with Tatum and Brown. He's the BPA, in my opinion.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Porter will be long gone, but that's who I'd take, even if he's a bit redundant with Tatum and Brown. He's the BPA, in my opinion.
Porter is going to stay another year at Mizzou mostly because he will need a show me year to get that #1 pick status and paycheck. He's a big risk healthwise and could drop quite a way since its a back injury.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Porter is going to stay another year at Mizzou mostly because he will need a show me year to get that #1 pick status and paycheck. He's a big risk healthwise and could drop quite a way since its a back injury.

I agree. And the fact that his dad is there and his brother reclassified to be there also are factors to keep him there.

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Tatum isn't really that much of an outlier when it comes to top 3 prospects. 

Tatum is top 5 in the 3 point era among rookies age 20 or younger in terms of WS/48.

He's an extreme outlier.

His rookie season so far is up there with all-time greats in terms of contributing to wins for a good team. 

Top Rookie 20 years old or younger since 1981 (3 point era), minimum 20 games, 18 mpg, by WS/48:

1. Nikola Jokic, age 20
2. Jayson Tatum, age 19
3. Magic Johnson, age 20
4. Chris Paul, age 20
5. Andre Drummond, age 19

Note that Win Shares per 48 is heavily weighted toward big men, so Jokic & Drummond are probably a bit overrated on this list.

The most recent player comparable to Tatum who had an impact on winning like this is Kawhi Leonard in 2012, and he was only playing 20 minutes a night, whereas Tatum is playing 31 a night.

Kawhi, Magic, Chris Paul .... that's super elite company when we're talking about rookie season impact.
winshares are pretty meaningless stat unless you think Jordan Bell is significantly better than Tatum.  They also generally require a team to win and most of the time top tier rookies aren't on winning teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Tatum is top 5 in the 3 point era among rookies age 20 or younger in terms of WS/48.

He's an extreme outlier.

His rookie season so far is up there with all-time greats in terms of contributing to wins for a good team. 

Top Rookie 20 years old or younger since 1981 (3 point era), minimum 20 games, 18 mpg, by WS/48:

1. Nikola Jokic, age 20
2. Jayson Tatum, age 19
3. Magic Johnson, age 20
4. Chris Paul, age 20

Note that Win Shares per 48 is heavily weighted toward big men, so Jokic & Drummond are probably a bit overrated on this list.

The most recent player comparable to Tatum who had an impact on winning like this is Kawhi Leonard in 2012, and he was only playing 20 minutes a night, whereas Tatum is playing 31 a night.

Kawhi, Magic, Chris Paul .... that's super elite company when we're talking about rookie season impact.
winshares are pretty meaningless stat unless you think Jordan Bell is significantly better than Tatum.  They also generally require a team to win and most of the time top tier rookies aren't on winning teams.
I don't think Win Shares and especially WS/48 are meaningless stats. You have to show that you stats are directly correlated with your team's ability to win. Yes, its a bit noisy stat that especially favors big guys who score in the paint and can rebound. But Tatum isn't a big guy and his .188WS/48 is ridiculously impressive for a rookie. He is not an outlier because of short MPG. He is playing 30MPG on a contender and is a major reason why. Taken into context, that stat tells a lot about just how good and special Tatum has been this year.

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Hmm... It would take a lot to turn down a top 5 pick. I guess family would be the reason.

I think of guys like Harry Giles. Not a great comparison, but many thought he was a top 2 pick. Again, I know his injury past was nothing like Porter's, but I can't imagine turning down a great draft position to go back to school.

Porter might help out his dad more by being a top 5 pick over coming back and potentially falling.

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
My top 5 for the Celtics:

1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Porter
4) Bamba
5) T. Young

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He's an extreme outlier.

1. Nikola Jokic, age 20
2. Jayson Tatum, age 19
3. Magic Johnson, age 20
4. Chris Paul, age 20

I don't think Win Shares and especially WS/48 are meaningless stats. You have to show that you stats are directly correlated with your team's ability to win. Yes, its a bit noisy stat that especially favors big guys who score in the paint and can rebound. But Tatum isn't a big guy and his .188WS/48 is ridiculously impressive for a rookie. He is not an outlier because of short MPG. He is playing 30MPG on a contender and is a major reason why. Taken into context, that stat tells a lot about just how good and special Tatum has been this year.
it is the contender part though.  Any stat that shows Tatum has a better rookie year than someone like Shaq is a misleading stat.  Shaq averaged 23, 14, and 3.5 blocks and caused the Magic to have a 20 win better season, yet WS/48 say Tatum is better with a greater impact on wins.  It is a meaningless stat in that context.  Tatum has had an incredible shooting season, no question about it but 14 ppg with 5.6 rpg isn't some crazy season for a rookie.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:22:37 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

Hmm... It would take a lot to turn down a top 5 pick. I guess family would be the reason.

I think of guys like Harry Giles. Not a great comparison, but many thought he was a top 2 pick. Again, I know his injury past was nothing like Porter's, but I can't imagine turning down a great draft position to go back to school.

Porter might help out his dad more by being a top 5 pick over coming back and potentially falling.
Yeah I don't buy it I think he still comes out this year, he was supposed to be fully healthy within 3-4 months so plenty of time to show he's healthy at workouts pre draft. He will still be a top 3 pick when all is said and done I believe, not like staying another year and getting picked a spot or two higher will let him make more money in the short or long term, lose a full year of salary next year and be a full year later before he is off the rookie scale just doesn't make sense.