Author Topic: Should the C's look into OKC's Adams or McGary?  (Read 3574 times)

Re: Should the C's look into OKC's Adams or McGary?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I actually don't think that's enough for Adams.

Adams is incredible and having him there with Ibaka for the next 5 years is going to be a nightmare for Lebron getting the Cavs a championship.

The guy is a walking version of Shrek. Has there ever been a rookie/sophomore this strong, huge and raw that has improved so quickly? Has learned to adjust to NBA defenses so quickly? Has developed the beginnings of an excellent back to basket game AND continued to improve his range so adeptly? He's got an elite defensive IQ and anticipation skills+quick hands that are like a terminator version of Scott Pollard. (Huge and fast).

He's OKC's next golden boy on the salary cap planning....they will 100% make sure all cap room is clear for him to join Durant, Wbrook, Ibaka to form the best team in the NBA. I mean they will dominate as long as WB and Durant are healthy.

Value wise, Olynyk is basically worthless compared to Adams. In fact I don't think the Thunder would trade Adams for a pick anywhere outside the top 5.
What would WE realistically have to give up to get Adams?

Something like our 2015 pick (currently #9) +James Young at the very least.

Here's the question....
Would Danny give up our pick for Steven Adams if it's between 7-10? Top 5?

Smart
Bradley
Crowder
Sullinger
Adams

Isaiah Thomas
Young
Jerebko

Hmmmmmm
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:27:13 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see them trading any of them but wouldn't make that deal.  probably being a homer but I think that's a bit much for Adams and certainly too much for Mcgarry.

would rather see how the C's do in the draft addressing the center spot and see if they bring in someone as a FA to fill that spot.  I don't think they'll be able to do it via free agency this year except on the odd chance they land Monroe and plan to play him at center (which I don't see happening both because I think Monroe wants to go to a better team and C's wouldn't see Monroe as the defensive center they need)

I'd say that's about right where Adams' value is right now. A decent young big with upside that fits their team and allows them to not lose depth up front, a late first rounder and an early second. Depending on your opinion of KO I guess that could be too much or too little.

But, OKC first sought out Lopez, then Kanter because they were looking for an offensive minded player to put next to Ibaka. A player like KO would be able to use his perimeter skills to generate open looks for KD and Westbrook while also keeping Ibaka closer to the hoop where he's most effective, instead of him drifting out and jacking up jump shots like he has a lot this year. Plus KOs versatile in the sense that you could pair him with Ibaka, Adams, McGary or even KD as a stretch 4.

I mean, you guys are probably right, they probably wanna keep them both. But if they can't keep Kanter they still need an offensive big, preferably one who can stretch the floor a bit.

And as far as our situation goes, if we can manage to position ourselves for someone like Cauley-Stein it's a moot point. But if we end up drafting after #10 I'm not so sure our center of the future will be there, at least not one that can play big minutes right away. If were gonna go the FA route, I wouldn't mind if DA threw a max deal at D.Jordan because I think he's the perfect fit. But after him and Gasol who's older and probably not going anywhere, there would be a lot more hesitation to throw big money at someone like Robin Lopez who's on that next tier down.

Finding an under-utilized young guy on another team who you think has a higher potential and prying him away for a reasonable price is one of DA's favorite ways to get players. Jeff Green, IT, Bass and Zeller are good examples of that.

All just some food for thought I suppose.
my thinking on their comparitive value is that both KO and Adams have shown flashes of potential but aren't consistant at this point.  KO was taken sooner in the draft so I give that a little bit of weight  if trading for someone else in the same draft and I think the philly second would be reasonable compensation for their positional differences -- KO's a 4/5 while Adams is a 5.

I think how they play out the year would impact that assessment.  moreso for KO to see if he's more aggressive with Sully out and IT playing point.  when KO is assertive on offense, he's appreciably better.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Here's the question....

I think Adams is worth a lottery pick in second half of lottery. Somewhere between 8-14.

I don't think he is a worth a top 7 pick given the strength of this draft near the top. He might fall out of top 10 depending on how high people are about the last few picks of the top 10. A late lottery pick is about right for Adams I think.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Here's the question....

I think Adams is worth a lottery pick in second half of lottery. Somewhere between 8-14.

I don't think he is a worth a top 7 pick given the strength of this draft near the top. He might fall out of top 10 depending on how high people are about the last few picks of the top 10. A late lottery pick is about right for Adams I think.

Well ask yourself this. Would you be happy if we got the 6th pick and ended up with a player as good+with as much promise as Adams is showing at this stage of his career in his 2nd year?
I think the answer is a very solid yes.

That's why I think he's a top 5 pick. But that's just my opinion which isn't worth too much to the OKC front office- or anyones.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Here's the question....

I'd say that's about right, if your offering a straight up trade of #11 pick for Adams or pick and a throw in. But KO isn't just a throw in. He's a 7 footer from the same draft with the same amount of contractual control left on his deal. His skill set is very, very different and less valuable than Adams, but he's still a guy with good upside. OKC has a need for scoring/shooting in the front court.

The Clips pick at 21-30 is worth way less than our pick at 10 or wherever it lands, but the PHI pick has good value as well. Especially for OKC who's been well known to place a high priority on cost effectiveness.

If we land at 10 or 11, miss out on the top tier big guys in the draft and can't sign a DJ/Asik/R.Lopez guy, pushing hard for a young guy with potential who might be had for a fairish price could be a good play.  My feeling is DA wants to get a guy in place he likes long term at all our spots in the next couple years. Then we can still have a few picks coming our way and assets to use if things don't develop the way you saw it.