Author Topic: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum  (Read 173134 times)

Re: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

Kiorrik

Hate to say this, guys, but it's mainly up to us as regular users to take the game-thread back where we want it to be, since there's not much we can do as moderators.

You all know how much of a slippery slope it is, moderating heavily opiniated, adrenaline filled threads. There's little difference between a single "Oh man Tony Allen sucks!" post and fifty "Doc Rivers should be fire, we're going to lose" posts.

We can't "make people post constructive criticism", or turn them into professional analysts. That's something we'll have to do ourselves by setting the bar high for our own posts.

And if you have some knowledgable friends, people that know their basketball and know how to think objectively, bring 'm in! Spread the word! Rally for the cause! :D

Set the example, raise the bar, tell a friend! ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline Celticsfan336

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I feel that the controversial subjects such as Jeff Green, Big Baby, Rondo, Doc, etc. bring out fire in Celtics fan.

It is fine to get into a debate with a Celtic fan, but keep in mind we all have the same goal here, and thats 18...no one should harass another member for their views.

Calling out Glen Davis on the other hand, for his poorous play, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, right?

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Everything in this thread goes double for the chat.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »

Offline JT11

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 153
I feel that the controversial subjects such as Jeff Green, Big Baby, Rondo, Doc, etc. bring out fire in Celtics fan.

It is fine to get into a debate with a Celtic fan, but keep in mind we all have the same goal here, and thats 18...no one should harass another member for their views.

Calling out Glen Davis on the other hand, for his poorous play, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, right?

I don't think the problem is with "calling out players"; my personal opinion is that if a player isn't playing well, then fans have a right to criticise them.

However, at the same time, I don't think anyone has a right to attack players, Doc, other fans, etc., and from what I've seen, there's been a lot of that in the game threads.   

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think it's worth pointing out that the tone in the game threads gets gradually worse as the play of the Celtics gets worse . . .

Although this blog existed before the Celtics enjoyed the kind of success they've enjoyed the past few years, back then there wasn't the same pressure and expectation for the team to win it all.  Now, there is that expectation, and it's much more difficult to remain positive when it appears as though the team is going to fall short of that expectation.  In other words, I think part of the "epidemic" of negativity is a result of the fans on this forum reacting in an emotional way to the slow but nonetheless apparent decline of the team.

That by no means excuses posters from becoming aggressive or excessively snarky toward one another, but it at least explains to a large degree what's going on.  I think there needs to be some understanding that people who are being negative are not bailing on the team or revealing that they aren't as dedicated as the fans who choose to remain positive . . . it is one coping mechanism for dealing with something very difficult -- the disappointment of seeing a team in which you've invested a lot of emotional energy over a long period of time fall short of your hopes and expectations for them.

I guess my point is that I don't think the average poster on Celticsblog now is of a lower quality than the average poster from a few years ago.  We're watching a different team than a few years ago.

I want to echo Kiorrik's statements, though, that it's up to regular, recognizable posters to set a good example and try to maintain a civil environment in the game threads, whether you choose to be optimistic or pessimistic.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Congts to the naysayers for holding off this long. Your self controls is impressive. Last year this issue cropped up much earlier.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Congts to the naysayers for holding off this long. Your self controls is impressive. Last year this issue cropped up much earlier.

Here is a good example of what not to do.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I'm assuming you meant your post. I'm just adding a little levity to the situation without singling anyone out. I don't go to the game threads that often.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I know I am still probably considered new to this blog but I must say that game threads are sometimes difficult to be in and that was not why I joined. Sometimes I would go into a thread, maybe post one or two things then I'd see where the thread was going and just click the "X" button and enjoy the game. I have fallen into some spells sometimes but I would like to think that I am pretty respectful of others on here.

I wish it were different and I could give some insight on what little basketball knowledge I have. I am a fan of Nate Robinson who was with us and wanted to explain more than a few times on why I thought he was in such a incredibly horrible and long slump but mentioning his name was a hot button I noticed quickly and I just kept silent for the most part.

I like how you Mods run this site and wish some others would do it this way. I am by no means against swearing, dirty jokes or anything like that, I swear a lot and enjoy pretty much any joke but still enjoy this site and adjust to it.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I'm assuming you meant your post. I'm just adding a little levity to the situation without singling anyone out. I don't go to the game threads that often.

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I respect the opinion of all those who have left the game threads because they became too negative / intolerable for their liking.

At the same time, if all the positive members bail, what do people think the tone will be like?  There are at least a half dozen members who have commented that they've left.  Wouldn't six strong voices cheering on the team contribute to the atmosphere that you at one time liked, and now miss?

I don't know.  I'm sympathetic to the complaints about the tone.  I personally think the game threads have been better than last year, with most of the gripes directed at poor play rather than at one another.  For me, the only comments that I have a problem with are the "this game is over" comments made at halftime, etc.  Such comments -- even out of frustration -- really don't do anything positive, and at the same time just rile up a lot of fans who are still pulling for the team to win.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but as always, we're open for suggestions.

I think that all the Mods do a good and honest job enforcing the rules as they are, and I love the game summaries. 

IMHO, some folks don't understand "just because you can doesn't mean you ought to."  I came back to give the threads a go and yes, the Downers (used as an identifier, not a perjorative) are still spoiling it for the rest of us.  Actually some are intent on spoiling it for the rest of us, self-righteously clinging to their "right to post" over their responsibility to the community of C-Blog.  My option under the rules is to vote with my feet by joining the other CBloggers who have found better ways to enjoy games.  Which is OK.  Really.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

Now see, I thought BballTim was complimenting me on my patience.  :D  Seriously I did like the witty turn of perspective, even if it might have been meant to make us think about what it might be like for the shoe to be on the other foot?  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:44:25 PM by Thruthelookingglass »

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I kinda like the Eeyore type posters. Very humorous. Especially when the Celtics come back and win the game or the series. Every fan is different. Some are just like that.  :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

I would disagree with this. "naysayer" is meant to group people based on their general (at this point in time) negative viewpoint. I guess I could have said detractors, would that have been better? "kool-aid drinkers" is a term that is meant to demean the opinion of people with a positive viewpoint.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

I would disagree with this. "naysayer" is meant to group people based on their general (at this point in time) negative viewpoint. I guess I could have said detractors, would that have been better? "kool-aid drinkers" is a term that is meant to demean the opinion of people with a positive viewpoint.

yeah, but in the context of your post "naysayers" had a similarly demeaning and dismissive tone.  you may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it comes across.

it's not so much which word you chose to use, it's the fact that you implied that what those sorts of people post on the forum is not about what's actually happening on the court but is simply a result of who they are as people (e.g. that they require "self control" to keep from posting negative things about the team regardless of the circumstances).  that's similar but opposite to the connotation of "kool aid drinkers."

- Doc Rivers