Would you make this trade

Yes
19 (20%)
No
67 (70.5%)
Yes without pick, or lesser pick
9 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Poll: Hayward Memphis pick for Drummond and Rose  (Read 19369 times)

Re: Poll: Hayward Memphis pick for Drummond and Rose
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Another option is if the Celts want a shooter, it can be Hayward and a pick for Drummond and Kennard.
I can't believe after the last game you're still beating this drum. Honestly baffling

One game doesn't solve all the Celtics' problems.

Lakers only made 7 3-pointers, Celtics made 16.
Of course the Celtics would win that game.

The Celtics we saw against the Lakers is not the normal Celtics we usually see.

It was one of those games where the Celtics couldn't miss.

Kanter got a lot of minutes because he was against old school Centers in McGee and Dwight.

And we all saw how Hayward is already expendable because Tatum and Brown are playing at an All-Star level.
Simply put, I have absolutely no idea how that is your conclusion.

Simply put, do the Celts average 55.9% from the field?

Celts only shoot 46% on average in FGs.

Do the Celts average 47% from beyond the arc?

Celts only shoot 35.5% from beyond the arc this season.

It's a case of the Celts were hot and the Lakers were cold.

A win against the Lakers doesn't mean the flaw of the Celtics go away.

Actually, when all 5 of our regular starters are on the floor (which unfortunately, has not been enough this season), those aren't far off from their regular marks.   So far this season, the 5-man lineup of Kemba+Jaylen+Gordon+Jayson+Daniel has a TS% of 63.8%, FG% of 54.1% and 3PT% of 44.7%.   

They normally shoot free throws a lot better than they did in the Laker's game, though.

The anomalous thing about this game isn't really about how well these guys played.   The anomalous thing is that we finally had our normal top-7 rotation (the starters plus Smart and Kanter) all healthy, in place and in their normal roles.   That's only happened in a tiny few games so far this year.
Would you look at that! Crickets ;D TP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 09:22:47 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Another option is if the Celts want a shooter, it can be Hayward and a pick for Drummond and Kennard.
I can't believe after the last game you're still beating this drum. Honestly baffling

Kanter got a lot of minutes because he was against old school Centers in McGee and Dwight.

And we all saw how Hayward is already expendable because Tatum and Brown are playing at an All-Star level.

Actually, when all 5 of our regular starters are on the floor (which unfortunately, has not been enough this season), those aren't far off from their regular marks.   So far this season, the 5-man lineup of Kemba+Jaylen+Gordon+Jayson+Daniel has a TS% of 63.8%, FG% of 54.1% and 3PT% of 44.7%.   

They normally shoot free throws a lot better than they did in the Laker's game, though.

The anomalous thing about this game isn't really about how well these guys played.   The anomalous thing is that we finally had our normal top-7 rotation (the starters plus Smart and Kanter) all healthy, in place and in their normal roles.   That's only happened in a tiny few games so far this year.

Call me crazy but I don’t think we consistently play this well in all the games we play where our players are healthy. It was an amazing game for sure but by the logic of some, it looks like we’d rather have Kanter (18pts 11rebs) over Anthony Davis (9pts 4rebs)
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Call me crazy but I don’t think we consistently play this well in all the games we play where our players are healthy. It was an amazing game for sure but by the logic of some, it looks like we’d rather have Kanter (18pts 11rebs) over Anthony Davis (9pts 4rebs)

Yeah. I’ll be thrilled if we can do that to the Lakers again, but AD looked like he wasn’t really ready to play. Timing was off. I remember him toasting Horford the past few years, and the guy who played last night bore little resemblance.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Call me crazy, but I think Hayward is better than Drummond. So why waste that plus adding a draft pick?

What is Hayward's main weaknesses? Please point them out.

While Rose has been fantastic, where in our rotation, is he getting minutes, let alone shots?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:18:41 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Call me crazy, but I think Hayward is better than Drummond. So why waste that plus adding a draft pick?

While Rose has been fantastic, where in our rotation, is he getting minutes, let alone shots?
Ah, finally! Hayward is for my mind easily better than Hayward. The whole "Hayward is a luxury, Drummond is a need" is nonsense to me.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Ah, finally! Hayward is for my mind easily better than Hayward. The whole "Hayward is a luxury, Drummond is a need" is nonsense to me.

Hayward is averaging 16/6/4 on 51/36/86 in 32 MPG on 20.4% USG/59.1% TS

Sounds pretty good to me.

Kanter is literally like a cheaper version of Drummond.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Hayward is averaging 16/6/4 on 51/36/86 in 32 MPG on 20.4% USG/59.1% TS

Sounds pretty good to me.

Kanter is literally like a cheaper version of Drummond.
Yeah, plus I don't think his passing is totally captured by his assist numbers. He gets a lot of secondary assists compared to our other wings, and his potential assist numbers are similar to guys like Winslow (who is essentially a point guard).

Kanter gives us almost exactly what Drummond would (worse defence, but better offensive rebounding and spacing) for 20% of the cost. Would Brad even play Drummond more than he plays Kanter?

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Who do you think an expansion team would pick if there's an expansion draft?

You really think Hayward would be #1 and Drummond is #2?

Right now Hayward is damaged goods.

It might not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in general.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 12:28:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

It might not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in general.

If we are solely picking for an expansion draft without any intention to trade them at all, Id pick Hayward. Its very hard to build around drummond, and hes not exactly a good compliment to guys like Lebron either. Id take the shooting and playmaking that Hayward provides and just get someone like Baynes as my Center.

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 12:37:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Drummond at $20-$24 million is worth it. Anything more? No thanks. He's just too limited.

BUT.

If I may digress... Stevens can work wonders with anyone. Sometimes I do salivate about Drummond's high post passing, awesome screen setting, and perfect roll big man. He's a sure fire 18/12.

I do wonder about the potential.

My only qualms is he's going to be seeking max money, and that's the issue with his player option and how much it ruins your cap flexibility.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 01:30:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That’s exactly what I think. Drummond is a dinosaur who has constantly led his team to (at best) mediocrity. Hayward makes his teammates better

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 02:22:22 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

If we are solely picking for an expansion draft without any intention to trade them at all, Id pick Hayward. Its very hard to build around drummond, and hes not exactly a good compliment to guys like Lebron either. Id take the shooting and playmaking that Hayward provides and just get someone like Baynes as my Center.

Even when Hayward already declared he has nerve issues with the foot he injured back in 2017?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/frustrated-gordon-hayward-hoping-third-shots-charm-foot-injury

BOSTON — A frustrated Gordon Hayward said he’s received three cortisone shots trying to combat a nerve issue in his left foot that he believes is connected to his gruesome ankle injury two years ago, but is hopeful they’ve found a remedy that will allow him to get back on the court on Christmas Day.

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 02:24:03 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
An expansion team would draft Hayward #1 and pay him 32m per year even when he has nerve pain in the injured foot from 2 years ago?

OK!
 :laugh:

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 02:49:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I couldn't care less about chronic injuries as long as the player can play at full strength in the games that count tbh (see Kawhi last season).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2020, 03:47:12 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I couldn't care less about chronic injuries as long as the player can play at full strength in the games that count tbh (see Kawhi last season).

I don't think Kawhi has a chronic injury.

I've never heard of Kawhi taking cortisone shots.