Author Topic: Last Minute of Game 2 (Pacers)  (Read 2948 times)

Last Minute of Game 2 (Pacers)
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
A couple of takeaways from the last minute of last night's game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eHawTOB3O8

1. Down 2, 89-91 with a minute to go, the Celtics converted 3 more FG's, all of which were assisted and all assisted by different guys. Brown to Tatum, Tatum to Hayward, Horford to Tatum. That's incredible teamwork in a tight situation.

2. Tatum was involved in all 3 baskets and even made a free throw on an and-1. Aggressive Tatum is the Tatum we need.

3.  You'll notice Kyrie absent from the description of those last 3 baskets. Kyrie doesn't get credit for other guys playing great. But... Take a look at how scared Indy defenders are of Kyrie on those final two baskets. He played great all night and made the right plays (almost had an assist to Tatum but Tatum found the better shot) when it mattered. Anyone who still claims Kyrie is a selfish ballhog can eat my butt.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:59:49 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Last Minute of Game 2 (Pacers)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tatum drove to the basket or shot catch and shoot threes instead of doing that dipsy do how's your mama Kobe imitation, which I hate.

Hopefully, he stays with those moves in the future.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
TP for link to last minute as my tnt legal stream disconnected for unknown reasons!  Fun to watch parts I missed in that long exciting minute!

Tatum was a true force last night like last year in the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stevens went out of his way to say that the Brown kick out to Tatum for the three may have been the best play he has seen Brown make.

So there you have it. Coach feels kicking out for a three rather than a layup is smart basketball.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Stevens went out of his way to say that the Brown kick out to Tatum for the three may have been the best play he has seen Brown make.

So there you have it. Coach feels kicking out for a three rather than a layup is smart basketball.

Well, at least when Myles Turner is sitting there at the rim waiting for you with a second defender nearby.

Remember what started that break opportunity for the Cs? Bogey trying Horford at the rim and losing. Woulda been a disaster for the Cs to return the favor.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Couldn’t agree more with Coach Stevens on this.

I was shocked that nearly out of control Brown didn’t force up a layup against two Pacers, one being their premier rim protector. Brown made the right play, passing to one of the teams best shooters that was open and playing very well.

I had to watch that play several times bc of my amazement that Brown passed it. Real growth on his part. He forces up a heavily contested layup in that scenario earlier in the year.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Couldn’t agree more with Coach Stevens on this.

I was shocked that nearly out of control Brown didn’t force up a layup against two Pacers, one being their premier rim protector. Brown made the right play, passing to one of the teams best shooters that was open and playing very well.

I had to watch that play several times bc of my amazement that Brown passed it. Real growth on his part. He forces up a heavily contested layup in that scenario earlier in the year.

Browns mad great progress making the right play this year. He doesn't get many assists in.part because hes bever the primary ball handler but he looks for kick outs and dump offs a lot more than he used to. He had 2 other drives and kick outs that game that we failed to convert.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

1. Down 2, 89-91 with a minute to go, the Celtics converted 3 more FG's, all of which were assisted and all assisted by different guys. Brown to Tatum, Tatum to Hayward, Horford to Tatum. That's incredible teamwork in a tight situation.

2. Tatum was involved in all 3 baskets and even made a free throw on an and-1. Aggressive Tatum is the Tatum we need.

3.  You'll notice Kyrie absent from the description of those last 3 baskets. Kyrie doesn't't get credit for other guys playing great. But... Take a look at how scared Indy defenders are of Kyrie on those final two baskets. He played great all night and made the right plays (almost had an assist to Tatum but Tatum found the better shot) when it mattered. Anyone who still claims Kyrie is a selfish ballhog can eat my butt.

To add just a bit more detail:

1. Horford block, Jaylen drives to the rim in transition, draws 2 defenders including Turner who was covering Tatum, then passes crosscourt to Tatum for the open 3

2. Kyrie gets a screen from JT at the top of the 3 point line, draws 2 defenders, passes to Tatum, who drives to the basket to draw 2 defenders including Collison who was covering Hayward, then passes to Gordon for the open layup

3. Tatum inbounds to Hayward, who quickly passes to Al, who quickly passes to a cutting Tatum for the dunk and-1.

That's ball movement from multiple players and unselfish play and certainly nobody was overdribbing the ball.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

3.  You'll notice Kyrie absent from the description of those last 3 baskets. Kyrie doesn't't get credit for other guys playing great. But... Take a look at how scared Indy defenders are of Kyrie on those final two baskets. He played great all night and made the right plays (almost had an assist to Tatum but Tatum found the better shot) when it mattered. Anyone who still claims Kyrie is a selfish ballhog can eat my butt.

To add just a bit more detail:

1. Horford block, Jaylen drives to the rim in transition, draws 2 defenders including Turner who was covering Tatum, then passes crosscourt to Tatum for the open 3

2. Kyrie gets a screen from JT at the top of the 3 point line, draws 2 defenders, passes to Tatum, who drives to the basket to draw 2 defenders including Collison who was covering Hayward, then passes to Gordon for the open layup

3. Tatum inbounds to Hayward, who quickly passes to Al, who quickly passes to a cutting Tatum for the dunk and-1.

That's ball movement from multiple players and unselfish play and certainly nobody was overdribbing the ball.

Yep. I never understood why so many teams run these complicated plays all game long only to abandon everything in the final seconds. Don't you run the plays because it makes scoring easier? Why, when things matter most, do you just give it to someone to play hero ball?

The Celtics ball movement in that last minute is the most encouraging thing I've seen in the 2 games so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Because crunchtime is a different animal. Teams shut down the passing lanes and watching on tv, you can't really tell how much space they have, and you can't tell when players fake like they don't see a pass coming only to make a steal. That's why you can't abandon iso, and I don't know why yall always say that. Plays are almost always broken, then they go to the next option while you think that was the first option watching on tv.

The number 1 weakness of the Celts with the 2017 team and earlier was they had nobody that was ABLE to iso. Now that they have multiple players that can...yall chastise them for it.

If plays always worked, you wouldn't need much talent and yall know better than that.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Because crunchtime is a different animal. Teams shut down the passing lanes and watching on tv, you can't really tell how much space they have, and you can't tell when players fake like they don't see a pass coming only to make a steal. That's why you can't abandon iso, and I don't know why yall always say that. Plays are almost always broken, then they go to the next option while you think that was the first option watching on tv.

The number 1 weakness of the Celts with the 2017 team and earlier was they had nobody that was ABLE to iso. Now that they have multiple players that can...yall chastise them for it.

If plays always worked, you wouldn't need much talent and yall know better than that.

That is exactly what the pros were saying.   Thats why we need superstars or special players.   When those plays break down you need a closer!   Well put. 
Diggles

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:32:47 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

That is exactly what the pros were saying.   Thats why we need superstars or special players.   When those plays break down you need a closer!   Well put.

Crunch time is only different because players feel the pressure of the moment. The basics of basketball don't change. Players who can stay clear headed and focused on the reads they have to make appear to be clutch players.

Lots of guys compensate for the pressure in these situations by making their mind up to do something much earlier than usual, and they don't make their normal reads.

Consider Tatum's last assist to Hayward. It was an incredibly easy pass to see and to make. He didn't panic, he kept his head up and saw the play. No one shut down the passing lane. He could have taken that 18 ft fallaway we've all seen him fall back on a million times, but to his credit, he stayed calm and didn't make up his mind in advance. Lots of players do.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
And let me try to explain my thing with Kyrie.  There's nothing about his offense at all that bothers me. What bothers me is that one reason he's an elite scorer is that he see's things developing before they happen, and uses it only for scoring and just sometimes for passing. Another thing is that even though he gets doubled or tripled, he does little moves that make the defender react in the other direction of what he's gonna do, and that's probably something you can't teach and separates him from 95% of the league.

Those 2 particular talents is what makes an EXCELLENT distrubutor, and he seems like he only wants to be a good distributor.

That's the only reason I post negatively about him.

If Terry ever picked up that last talent of knowing how to get the defender to react the way you want him to, he would be a completely different player and on a different level.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:50:29 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i saw that play. the lay up would have been contested. tatum was open. three pointers are one point more than two pointers.

brown did the right thing and CBS was right to acknowledge that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Where did anyone ever say plays always worked?

The rest of your post doesn't make much sense to me. You seem to be saying that abandoning the playbook in crunchtime is necessary because defenses get tougher but isn't that all the more reason to run plays, which are designed to puncture that defense?