Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76573 times)

Re: How would you feel about the C’s going after Kemba?
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'd rather get a BIG and resign Terry to a Marcus Smart Contract. 

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Yab, 3 Rookies and let Brad Stevens coach these guys to play right.   Spending big money on an undersized Kemba seems like an okay fit, bit the cap and roster works out better if we go after a Center.   
Diggles

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Yab, 3 Rookies and let Brad Stevens coach these guys to play right.   Spending big money on an undersized Kemba seems like an okay fit, bit the cap and roster works out better if we go after a Center.

Puke.

Rozier is a worse player than smart but lets pay terry as much as smart AND starstarty him over smart.

Rozier must have a big family on this site.

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Puke.

Rozier is a worse player than smart but lets pay terry as much as smart AND starstarty him over smart.

Rozier is not worse then Smart.

Hes better in pretty much every way except size and defense - amd especially on upside.

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2019, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would find it difficult to get excited by a worse, older version of Kyrie whose contract could end up being bad the last year or two. We would still have all the same problems with offensive hierarchy/not enough shots as when we had Kyrie, but now we'd be without Horford. We would have limited financial flexibility moving forward and only the room exception of about 4.5 million dollars to fill out the front court this year.

The only reason to do this is it would make us better next year, but by how much I don't know.

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Puke.

Hes better in pretty much every way except size and defense - amd especially on upside.

Wrong.

Rozier had better rebounding numbers.

Smart, last season, trumped roziers best season.

Smart is the better playmaker, the more willing passer, the better more effective shooter, the stronger player and an absolute gamechanger on defense. He is top 4 in the nba at defending and has shown he can win you games by doing that.

Best ofball you can start smart and move him to the bench, you gave give him 15 shots or none, you can tell him to defend pg-pf and he will. Always. And without complaint.

He was better at every single thing than rozier outside of hunting for rebounds to stat pad and being a cancer to the team.

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2019, 05:28:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Puke.

Marcus is all of 2 weeks older than Terry. I'm not sure what kind of upside people think he has left.

But yes, Rozier is worse than Smart. It's really not even close.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We are now in retool/rebuild mold but way better off because we are starting with Smart, Tatum, Brown and Hayward. So Ainge is going to need a multi year plan of bringing on talent to compete. If this year that means adding Walker and suffering with a bad frontcourt, so be it.

Next year you have the Cs pick, Milwaukee's pick, and the Memphis pick, Brown, Tatum, Hayward(as an expiring) plus any salary filler Ainge signs this year to try to pry a great big man(maybe sign front court players to and 1+1 team option, non-guaranteed contract with RE)
to add a quality big man.

I think we have to look at this as a multi-year rebuild with Kemba being the 1st addition, much like Horford was when he signed to play with IT, Bradley, Crowder, etc. then the next year they brought on Hayward and Kyrie.

In that case, I think getting Kemba would be very smart. Not sure that would be the way I would do it but could well see Ainge looking at it this way.

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Puke.

Wrong.

Rozier had better rebounding numbers.

Smart, last season, trumped roziers best season.

Smart is the better playmaker, the more willing passer, the better more effective shooter, the stronger player and an absolute gamechanger on defense. He is top 4 in the nba at defending and has shown he can win you games by doing that.

Best ofball you can start smart and move him to the bench, you gave give him 15 shots or none, you can tell him to defend pg-pf and he will. Always. And without complaint.

He was better at every single thing than rozier outside of hunting for rebounds to stat pad and being a cancer to the team.

You smart lovers really make me chuckle with your illusions of grandeur.

Rozier is a better rebounder then smart, this cant even be debated.

Rozier is a better playmaker then Smart - his assist:TO and bad pass averages (not only last year but across his entire career) make this abundantly clear.

Rozier is a better ball handler, again made clear by his lower turnover rates and less "lost ball" turnovers.  Again this isnt just last year, but for their entire careers.

Rozier is also clearly a better shooter.  He has shot better percentages from  the fueld and from three then Smart EVERY SINGLE YEAR except last year, which is the year you conveniently chose to single out.

Last i checked playmaking, ball handling shooting and defence are the four most important abilities for a PG. Rozier has been better then Smart in 3 of those 4 areas OVER THEIR CAREERS.

Back to the actual  question, personally I'd say its probably more critical for bison to use that cap space to go after a big like vicevic, since that's our thinnest area.

That said,  Kemba likely IS the best plauer available right now, and is a huge upgrade over either Rozier or Smart, so i can understand why Danny would consider making that move.  Afterwards he could still renounce Rozier to clear up some more cap space and then use that (in a trade of FA) to bring in a big. He could also still ise the MLE to bring in another big. Options are there

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Posted this in another thread. Now I'll post it in this merged Kemba one:

Kemba's max would come at 32.7M for the 1st year. Even if we signed him, we'd have maybe like 2M left, or 5-6M if we found a way to salary dump Yabusele.

And our current front court depth is basically Grant Williams, Timelord, maybe Theis? We have an absolute dire need there still.

So if we sign Kemba... how on earth are we retooling the front court?

That's why I think we're better off signing D'Lo and then adding 1-2 decent centers (someone like a Lopez or Dedmon, etc kind of additions).

Kemba is currently 29. Russell is younger with room to improve, and his max would be 27M first year. We'd still have 8-10M in cap space to fill out our front court, and yes, we NEED bodies there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Posted this in another thread. Now I'll post it in this merged Kemba one:

Kemba's max would come at 32.7M for the 1st year. Even if we signed him, we'd have maybe like 2M left, or 5-6M if we found a way to salary dump Yabusele.

And our current front court depth is basically Grant Williams, Timelord, maybe Theis? We have an absolute dire need there still.

So if we sign Kemba... how on earth are we retooling the front court?

That's why I think we're better off signing D'Lo and then adding 1-2 decent centers (someone like a Lopez or Dedmon, etc kind of additions).

Kemba is currently 29. Russell is younger with room to improve, and his max would be 27M first year. We'd still have 8-10M in cap space to fill out our front court, and yes, we NEED bodies there.

Hayward and a pick for kemba.

« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Isn't Kemba a free agent? It would have to be a sign and trade, those are extremely difficult to pull of and put some onerous restrictions on the team receiving the newly signed player. I don't think Danny would want to do a sign and trade for Kemba.

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Isn't Kemba a free agent? It would have to be a sign and trade, those are extremely difficult to pull of and put some onerous restrictions on the team receiving the newly signed player. I don't think Danny would want to do a sign and trade for Kemba.

Why does it have to be a sign and trade? If we renounce our FAs, then we can sign him outright.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
After giving this a lot of thought, I would much rather:

1. Sign Ricky Rubio (a Gordon Hayward guy who is a Brad Stevens guy).
2. Trade for Stephen Adams.

Justification:

- We don't over-extend for an aging max contract.
- We arm ourselves with tradeable contracts (Smart, Rubio, Adams) to match salaries should the right max player (e.g. Karl-Anthony Towns) become available via trade (combined with the Memphis Pick and one of Tatum/Brown if need be).
- We also compete in the near term.

I would venture to say this team would be beloved amongst fans given its grit and ferocity.

PG: Ricky Rubio
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: Stephen Adams

Bench Depth: Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, RWIII, Semi Ojeleye, Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards, Vet Min (Jared Dudley), Vet Min (Isaiah Thomas)

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Why does it have to be a sign and trade? If we renounce our FAs, then we can sign him outright.
I was responding to the post suggesting that the Celts trade Hayward and a pick for Kemba.

Stein: Celtics, Mavs to try to court Kemba
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1143607262050705408

Stein indicates that Boston is no longer a “stealth” suitor for Walker, tweeting that the Celtics and Mavericks will be at the front of the line for Kemba when free agency begins.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1143561894176927745

The Celtics’ situation is a fluid one, according to Stein (via Twitter), who acknowledges that the team will weigh a number of options to address both its backcourt and frontcourt. Kyrie Irving and Al Horford are expected to sign elsewhere and Aron Baynes is heading to Phoenix, while Terry Rozier and Marcus Morris are also free agents.

If the Celtics renounce all those players, they should have enough cap room to make a maximum-salary offer to a player like Walker, adding him to a core that features Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown, and Marcus Smart. However, it sounds like that’s just one of the options that president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will consider.