Author Topic: Reddit: Danny Ainge strolling downtown - Switching over to plant based diet  (Read 8436 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
When people say "plant-based" these days do they mean only plants? Or just mostly plants?

Mainly

Seafood like fish is fine and actually important

But like I stated completely getting off red beef can also be a detriment. There are supplements you can take of it without all the oils/grilling it etc...which not only drains the nutrional value but also hurts the body, heart etc

I honestly don't see any reason for people to still eat red meat. Even leaving out the ethical argument, it is terrible environmentally and you can certainly find the nutrients in other foods.

Recently I was at a family event where they were serving ham. I didn't want to be 'that guy' so I had a small piece and it seriously felt no different to me than eating human flesh. I know that sounds gross, but that is how long it had been since I had eaten a mammal. I occasionally eat fish and very rarely eat chicken, but am mostly plant based (even with morning protein shakes) and I have to say I really don't miss it.

There are so many options available nowadays for cooking at home, but I do wish it would become a little more mainstream in [regular] restaurants. Yard House is great example of a place that you can substitute Gardein for meat-based products and they have killer appetizer specials.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When people say "plant-based" these days do they mean only plants? Or just mostly plants?

Mainly

But like I stated completely getting off red beef can also be a detriment. There are supplements you can take of it without all the oils/grilling it etc...which not only drains the nutrional value but also hurts the body, heart etc

I honestly don't see any reason for people to still eat red meat. Even leaving out the ethical argument, it is terrible environmentally and you can certainly find the nutrients in other foods.

Recently I was at a family event where they were serving ham. I didn't want to be 'that guy' so I had a small piece and it seriously felt no different to me than eating human flesh. I know that sounds gross, but that is how long it had been since I had eaten a mammal. I occasionally eat fish and very rarely eat chicken, but am mostly plant based (even with morning protein shakes) and I have to say I really don't miss it.

There are so many options available nowadays for cooking at home, but I do wish it would become a little more mainstream in [regular] restaurants. Yard House is great example of a place that you can substitute Gardein for meat-based products and they have killer appetizer specials.

I'm considering switching to more clean plant based diet, where can I go to research/find more information about this?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Anybody try Beyond meat or impossible burger yet?
Don't those have a ton of sodium in them?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't really get why people think that a grass fed free range red meat is bad for your from a nutrition standpoint. There is tons and tons of data showing this is a very healthy food for a human being to consume.

Now the ethical and environmental impact are completely different arguments, but acting like properly raised red meat is bad for your is just complete bs propaganda.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't really get why people think that a grass fed free range red meat is bad for your from a nutrition standpoint. There is tons and tons of data showing this is a very healthy food for a human being to consume.

Now the ethical and environmental impact are completely different arguments, but acting like properly raised red meat is bad for your is just complete bs propaganda.

Grass fed helps but its not about that ... the main reason daily meat intake is bad for the body/heart

Hence this topic about Danny

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I've had great results following an 18:6 intermittent fasting routine mixed with weight training. That is I eat all my food for the day in a 6 hour window then fast for 18 hours (water only). I eat about 2100 calories in the 6 hour window.

Fat just melts off and it's really easy to stick to. There are lots of other health benefits too.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Mainly

I'm considering switching to more clean plant based diet, where can I go to research/find more information about this?

Hmmm, that is a good question. I can't site any one specific source that led me towards this direction. I should also note that I do not claim to be strictly a vegan or vegetarian...maybe a pesco-vegetarian (fish only), but there is no reason put yourself in a corner. There is a lot of gray area. In terms of pure health, it probably doesn't matter that much unless you love to eat all the fattiest parts of an animal.

My recommendation would be to just try new items and see if you like them. As I mentioned before, I used to get the chicken bowl at Chipotle, but have been eating sofritas for several years now and I really don't notice any difference. Grocery stores carry Gardein everything so it might be worth it just to pick up a few different items and see if there is a decent substitute for you. Quorn makes a good chicken substitute and Dr. Praegers is good if you want something that is super healthy, even if it isn't necessarily the tastiest. And, of course, there is always Boca 'chicken' and 'beef' patties. Oh yeah, and I absolutely prefer pea protein over whey protein.

For me, personally, I just started to look at it more from an ethical point of view - like what animals would I be comfortable killing, cleaning, and cooking? I certainly don't fault those who have a different point of view than I do, but I think it would probably be beneficial to everyone if people chose a meatless meal every now and then.

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
dang  :(

no more pork ribs and fried chicken ?   sheesh....ugh tofu
you obviously have tried the wrong tofu with the wrong recipes. tofu is similar to bread, you dont really eat it alone. you surround it with yummy things and it take on those flavors.

try this, called mapo tofu. incredibly good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mapo+tofu&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip_bnp67TiAhVKA6wKHVr2DDYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1447&bih=984
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I've had great results following an 18:6 intermittent fasting routine mixed with weight training. That is I eat all my food for the day in a 6 hour window then fast for 18 hours (water only). I eat about 2100 calories in the 6 hour window.

Fat just melts off and it's really easy to stick to. There are lots of other health benefits too.

I intermittently do intermittent fasting and I feel my absolute best when I do. I basically cut carbs and restrict eating to a 6-8 hour window. I try to make sure I get enough fiber so I take in a lot of leafy greens and flax seeds. Meat fills in the rest (beef, chicken, pork, eggs, seafood). I will sometimes allow cheese or yogurt, but feel better when I don't.

My main obstacle to this lifestyle is that it doesn't work with others and there's constant pressure to eat and drink with them and I have a weakness for craft beer in the evening.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Grass fed helps but its not about that ... the main reason daily meat intake is bad for the body/heart

There really is not evidence of this. Have you looked into the science behind a keto diet at all? The problem is not the red meat, it is combining the read meat with sugar and carbohydrates. It is disappointing how much false nutrition information has been put out that people think they know completely false things as fact.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

There really is not evidence of this. Have you looked into the science behind a keto diet at all? The problem is not the red meat, it is combining the read meat with sugar and carbohydrates. It is disappointing how much false nutrition information has been put out that people think they know completely false things as fact.

From my understanding, sugar is the real killer here. Studying nutrition more, sugars, carbs, and saturated fats are the leading cause for obesity and eventually death.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

From my understanding, sugar is the real killer here. Studying nutrition more, sugars, carbs, and saturated fats are the leading cause for obesity and eventually death.

Yes. This is one 100% the reason the nutrition guidelines are moving in. The sugar lobby had an insanely successful and powerful impact on US nutrition guidelines to the points that foods like Eggs and Meats became demonized. People are now realizing that sugar and is toxic and causes all sorts of problems for the body. It went unregulated for so long that there has been irreparable damage to the health of the US population. Think about how insane it is that there were daily recommendations for how much fat, protein, etc there have been forever, but there was never a daily recommendation for sugar. Think about why that is...

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Yes. This is one 100% the reason the nutrition guidelines are moving in. The sugar lobby had an insanely successful and powerful impact on US nutrition guidelines to the points that foods like Eggs and Meats became demonized. People are now realizing that sugar and is toxic and causes all sorts of problems for the body. It went unregulated for so long that there has been irreparable damage to the health of the US population. Think about how insane it is that there were daily recommendations for how much fat, protein, etc there have been forever, but there was never a daily recommendation for sugar. Think about why that is...

Very true, there was a movie I forgot, the main focus was how sugar eventually became prominent; GMO's led to an explosion of corn, which was easy to re-produce and cost little to nothing. Technology became rampant, and soon corn was used everywhere, especially for live stock feed, in corn starch/corn syrup, and how companies would try to create loop holes to consider 'pizza,' as a vegetable based on tomato sauce. And some more other crazy stuff.

Amazing how corrupt corporations are when given money and bribed. Sugar is more harmful than cigarettes at this point, and that was the conclusion they made before the movie ended.

Anyone can remember that movie title will earn 3 TP's from me.

EDIT:

It's called King Corn. Exemplary movie I recommend for anyone interested in nutritional values, and how GMO's have affected the industry and economy.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Cooked daily intake of red meat is bad for you

Trying to defend this is.... is meat in your blood talking

Yes combining it with carbs etc makes it even worst

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Btw Keto does not excuse to eat steak or pork chop with salad everyday

Fish and other fat/protein sources work as well