Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 82212 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #405 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
been away for some time, apologies if this has already been posted

(edit: I now see Roy had started a separate thread on this)

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1018164740164472834

Money is just burning a hole in some of these teams pockets.

« Reply #406 on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I suppose in some cases you could chalk it up to huge pressure to put out a decent product on the floor to maintain ticket sales, but this is short-sighted because next off-season there will be much more talent out there in the FA market.

« Reply #407 on: July 14, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I suppose in some cases you could chalk it up to huge pressure to put out a decent product on the floor to maintain ticket sales, but this is short-sighted because next off-season there will be much more talent out there in the FA market.

I just read that the second year is a team option so maybe not as bad as I first thought...

« Reply #408 on: July 14, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

and many better teams will have the same money available.  Butler isn’t going back to Chicago. Kyrie  isn’t going there. Lakers and warriors will compete for Thompson. Who does that leave for Chicago? Rondo? Lol

« Reply #409 on: July 14, 2018, 11:11:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Free agent Channing Frye has agreed to a one-year, $2.4M deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell Yahoo.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1018185390619013120?s=21

I actually would've liked him on our team. Solid locker room guy that can be used situationally, definitely not a rotation guy, to spread the floor as a stretch big. I think he could've been successful under Stevens.

Can someone explain to me just what the Cavs are doing? Apparently they are going to try to make the playoffs this year?
they have too many high prices veterans that they can't trade so they were never going to be able to bottom out and with thwir really only being 7 good teams in the East i think they figure might as well go for the playoffs this year and then just tank next summer when they can out of most of the old guys.

They may go for it, but I don't think they'll get anywhere near the playoffs...

Aren't they the Lakers of last year minus Ingram and Ball, plus Love and Sexton?  If Sexton looks like a future star maybe.  Otherwise I think they're headed for top 7 worst and a nice lottery pick...without even trying to tank...
they have 2 players on the team that played for the Lakers last year.  If they come together well they could win 45 games, which should easily make the playoffs in the East. That said I think 40 is a more realistic number which certainly could make the playoffs in the East this year. Obviously this assumes they don't trade Love at some point this season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #410 on: July 14, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I just read that the second year is a team option so maybe not as bad as I first thought...

Yeah, I think it’s a fine deal.  They pretty much chose between Parker and getting a late 1st with a salary dump.  If Parker returns to form, they get another year of him at reasonable money, and then have Early Bird rights that will let them trump anything else he gets in free agency if he lives up to the #2 pick after two years, still at the 25% max level.  And if he doesn’t pan out, they haven’t cost themselves much aside from the opportunity of getting a late 1st from someone.  It’s a fine risk-reward proposition for the Bulls.

« Reply #411 on: July 15, 2018, 12:49:13 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Yeah, I think it’s a fine deal.  They pretty much chose between Parker and getting a late 1st with a salary dump.  If Parker returns to form, they get another year of him at reasonable money, and then have Early Bird rights that will let them trump anything else he gets in free agency if he lives up to the #2 pick after two years, still at the 25% max level.  And if he doesn’t pan out, they haven’t cost themselves much aside from the opportunity of getting a late 1st from someone.  It’s a fine risk-reward proposition for the Bulls.

Agree the Bulls have little to lose with the signing, but personally I don't think Jabari is a winner. IMO he is a poor defender and there is just something missing competitive-wise. I dunno, but it's telling that the Bucks moved on form him. He's also missed 145 games due to injury, that's almost half his career so far.

Maybe I'm in the minority,but I'd rather bet on a guy like Smart figuring out how to hit 3's before I bet on Jabari getting healthy and competing on the defensive end.

« Reply #412 on: July 15, 2018, 01:21:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agree the Bulls have little to lose with the signing, but personally I don't think Jabari is a winner. IMO he is a poor defender and there is just something missing competitive-wise. I dunno, but it's telling that the Bucks moved on form him. He's also missed 145 games due to injury, that's almost half his career so far.

Maybe I'm in the minority,but I'd rather bet on a guy like Smart figuring out how to hit 3's before I bet on Jabari getting healthy and competing on the defensive end.

Either way its a losing bet. Jabari doesn't have the instincts or skills to ever be a good defender and, sorry Smart fans, he is just never going to have even acceptable shooting percentages ever. Lots of people rightfully blast Smart for his three point shooting, but just don't take notice that he is horrendous shooting from any distance. Even finishing. He shot only 59% from within three feet last year, his highest since his rookie year of 56%. 59% from within 3 feet is terrible. His percentages from anywhere else are pretty pathetic too.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

« Reply #413 on: July 15, 2018, 05:37:10 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
There are obv health concerns with J. Parker and that's why he only signed for two years.
But in 2016-17, J. Parker averaged 20 pts together with 6 rbs, 3 assts, and a steal. He obv is a good player.

« Reply #414 on: July 16, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #415 on: July 16, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
...Either way its a losing bet. Jabari doesn't have the instincts or skills to ever be a good defender and, sorry Smart fans, he is just never going to have even acceptable shooting percentages ever. Lots of people rightfully blast Smart for his three point shooting, but just don't take notice that he is horrendous shooting from any distance. Even finishing. He shot only 59% from within three feet last year, his highest since his rookie year of 56%. 59% from within 3 feet is terrible. His percentages from anywhere else are pretty pathetic too.

that's a bad bar bet nick. look carefully at what you wrote. you literally cannot win that bet. why? because you set the condition that smart will NEVER, EVER develop a good shot. when does never end?  ;D never! therefore you cannot collect on the bet.

however, smart may someday be good, maybe. then you lose.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #416 on: July 16, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
...Either way its a losing bet. Jabari doesn't have the instincts or skills to ever be a good defender and, sorry Smart fans, he is just never going to have even acceptable shooting percentages ever. Lots of people rightfully blast Smart for his three point shooting, but just don't take notice that he is horrendous shooting from any distance. Even finishing. He shot only 59% from within three feet last year, his highest since his rookie year of 56%. 59% from within 3 feet is terrible. His percentages from anywhere else are pretty pathetic too.

that's a bad bar bet nick. look carefully at what you wrote. you literally cannot win that bet. why? because you set the condition that smart will NEVER, EVER develop a good shot. when does never end?  ;D never! therefore you cannot collect on the bet.

Lol...yeah, Smart could someday be a good shooter...when in his 40's shooting against a chair.

« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Lol...yeah, Smart could someday be a good shooter...when in his 40's shooting against a chair.

OK, but can Marcus post up a chair like Yi Jianlian?

« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Free agent Dante Cunningham is finalizing a one-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell Yahoo.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1018935412616724481?s=21

« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Free agent Dante Cunningham is finalizing a one-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell Yahoo.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1018935412616724481?s=21

Replacement for Leonard