Poll

Would you make this trade

Yes, we need a real big man
26 (45.6%)
No Tatum is special
31 (54.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Tatum for Ayton  (Read 6634 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade Tatum for Ayton
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So why exactly does PHX do this? I'd like to hear a compelling reason why.

Perceived higher upside. flashback to the end of last year when Tatum look like a future top 10 player in the NBA.

ayton has look good but he's never had a stretch like Tatum did in the playoffs I'm sure there's some GM's that are still extremely high on Tatum

Center is a tough position to fill in today's NBA.   With a more than 50% chance at a top 4 pick in the draft with no high lottery caliber talent at the C position, wouldn't PHX be better served by keeping Ayton & adding a Zion or Morant to a Booker/Ayton core?
Please stop with the logic! You are making way too much sense! 😉😄

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The Celtics have a repetitive of wings, so yes trade Tatum for Ayton.

So does Phoenix though with Bridges, Jackson and Warren.

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I wonder if they view Warren as a key piece. He is making 44 million the next 4 years and it doesn't seem like he is improving at all outside of a bounce back year from 3. He is 6'8 so you would think he could help on the boards, but he only gets 3.3 a game.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I wonder if they view Warren as a key piece. He is making 44 million the next 4 years and it doesn't seem like he is improving at all outside of a bounce back year from 3. He is 6'8 so you would think he could help on the boards, but he only gets 3.3 a game.
Over the last 2 seasons he's averaged 18.9/4.7, so he might not be a great rebounder, but he's really good at getting the ball in the hoop.

I've always liked him, and his contract really isn't bad at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This is a weird one because if I am the C's I do it due to wing depth. If I am the Suns it depends on who I get in the draft. Like if Zion or Ja are there I do the trade with the idea of wanting to spread things out more. If picking later or taking Barret no I don't deal Ayton.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Don’t see the interest from either side.  I have wondered about a swap for markanen and sweetener, but I’m not sure how interested Chicago would be in a wing scorer with LaVine there.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hell, yes.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hell, yes.

This would be a good trade for the Celts.

Losing Tatum would be tough but you also get a young, talented center in Ayton who fills a need and would play a vital role on this team for years to come.

Phoenix says no. Young centers like Ayton are hard to come by and they already have numerous small forwards.

I am sort of curious to see if any unrest brews on the part of Devin Booker. He had two games this week where he scored 50 or more points and the Suns lost both of them.

I know they locked him up to a long-term deal last summer but if that continues and you're Booker or the Suns, when do you start asking "is this going to work?"

Even the night he scored 70 pts vs the Celts, Phoenix still lost the game.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 01:30:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I value centers that are good defenders, since that is their primary responcebility. Aytons defensive instincts look and are undeveloped and unfortunantely for him and his team those instincts are hard to improve on. Especially when you are this far behind like he is. Offensively Ayton looks good, but mechanical, predictable, and even though he will be able to score efficiently and has that good body, I hevent seen a single move od his that would make me go - Wow, fancy! Whoa, tricky!

Aytons fits the Vouch mold IMO.
Good offense, bad defense center that makes it almost impossible to build a succesfull team around.

On the other hand Tatum doesn't have such clear weaknesis. He is and projects as a better two way player, with better scoring potential and versatility. He also plays a position od greater need (deficiency) in the league, which raises his value even further.

My jury reached a singular decision - Tatum.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:42:50 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 ayton?

His hands aren't that great   and defense is really bad

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
In a heartbeat.

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I value centers that are good defenders, since that is their primary responsibility. Aytons defensive instincts look and are undeveloped and unfortunately for him and his team those instincts are hard to improve on. Especially when you are this far behind like he is. Offensively Ayton looks good, but mechanical, predictable, and even though he will be able to score efficiently and has that good body, I haven't seen a single move of his that would make me go - Wow, fancy! Whoa, tricky!

Ayton fits the Vouch mold IMO.
Good offense, bad defense center that makes it almost impossible to build a successful team around.

On the other hand Tatum doesn't have such clear weaknesses. He is and projects as a better two way player, with better scoring potential and versatility. He also plays a position of greater need (deficiency) in the league, which raises his value even further.

My jury reached a singular decision - Tatum.
Well, I disagree.  I've seem him caught in the wrong place on help defense several times, sometimes letting a guy to the rim.  Some people think he takes too many mid-range jump-shots.  He also seems to have regressed in Year-2 on offense, which I admit could be due to better scouting now that he's been around.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
ayton?

His hands aren't that great   and defense is really bad

I've only watched Ayton pro like 3 times, but I thought his hands, footwork, and timing were arguably among his best attributes
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think Ayton is a star as soon as he gets in a situation that can make better use of his abilities.  In Phoenix, he has no point guard and no teammates who have even the slightest interest in defense.  Not the best place for a young big learning how to play in the league.

As for his own defense, he actually guards better on the perimeter than he does on the interior.  The Suns have actually used him as their primary defender against guys like Lebron and Giannis, for instance (and he does pretty well).  But for such a big, athletic guy, he’s not much of a rim protector. 

He might have a better future as a 4, next to another big who can handle the defensive duties on the interior.  Let him chase forwards around, which he is surprisingly good at.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm surprised so many would take Tatum over Ayton. Bet if you polled the 30 GM's, 3/4 of them would take Ayton.  Maybe including Danny.