Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25065 times)

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics' game threads here are done FL and her game threads never have a score. Point being that you almost never see a Celtic score in the thread titles because the main game thread never has them. Spoiler threads are usually done after games and those will sometimes give away whether the Celtics won or not(its particularly easy to tell when they lose) but, there is no stopping reaction threads so if anyone sees those and they spoil a taped game, so what.

But to ask to simply not put scores in a thread title, that serve little to no purpose in being in a thread title, isn't asking for anything more than to be courteous, kind and respectful of other CBers who may not have seen game results. These forums were built on the idea of being courteous, kind and respectful to each other. Is asking people(triboy) to refrain from putting unnecessary scores in thread titles really asking too much?

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I use this place not only as a discussion board, but also a news source.  So when it comes to something like Spurs beat GSW, you're not spoiling anything for me, you're teaching me something.  That's part of why I come here.

When it comes to something like Celtics beat Philly, and I don't know that yet, it's a huge bummer/spoiler.

Maybe I'm a rare case, but I would actually like to be able to come to the forum and learn about things around the league, or post my thoughts about Deflate-gate or stickum-gate, or even discuss current events, while still having an unwatched Celtic game on DVR.  I hate the feeling of avoiding this place when I haven't seen a Celtic game, but it's something I've learned to deal with.

Keeping CelticsBlog "spoiler free" about the Celtics would be impossible, and probably something that the majority of fans wouldn't have a lot of interest in.

It's relatively rare that posters want to discuss other NBA games outside of the "NBA season" thread.  Here, we're talking about maybe 1-2 threads per week, compared to dozens of Celtics threads.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celtics' game threads here are done FL and her game threads never have a score. Point being that you almost never see a Celtic score in the thread titles because the main game thread never has them. Spoiler threads are usually done after games and those will sometimes give away whether the Celtics won or not(its particularly easy to tell when they lose) but, there is no stopping reaction threads so if anyone sees those and they spoil a taped game, so what.

But to ask to simply not put scores in a thread title, that serve little to no purpose in being in a thread title, isn't asking for anything more than to be courteous, kind and respectful of other CBers who may not have seen game results. These forums were built on the idea of being courteous, kind and respectful to each other. Is asking people(triboy) to refrain from putting unnecessary scores in thread titles really asking too much?

Do you read the prior posts or care to ignore?

This is not about having the score listed on the title. 

"Spurs stay undrafted at home"  means almost the same thing, does it not

Watch the recorded game and come to the forum if you want to avoid spoilers

I will not put scores on the subjects moving on fwd . but  can't promise to avoid including some type of spoilers on the title after games/real time. It's not possible

Instead of nitpicking on what I did, understand the bigger picture and how forums are run /give moderators a break/can't make it bulletproof as new members join daily

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's not a problem I've ever had but it also seems like an incredibly easy thing to accomodate for. Instead of writing "Spurs stay undefeated at home" just write "Spurs/Warriors Game" or something of the like.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Things we won't ever do:

Restrict "spoilers" about Celtics games or news;

Restrict spoilers about trades, free agents, etc.;

Restrict discussion of game results within relevant threads themselves

This is really only about whether it makes sense to keep non-Celtic basketball thread titles spoiler-free.

why is this different than the other three above?? (especially 1 and 3)

We are celtics fans first. Wouldn't you care to death not to find out about the score/spoilers about a celtics game vs non related celtics games

So with this in mind, i'm guessing Chambers for example 1) watches pre recorded celtics games before visiting the forum 2) comes here anyways , see what is up. And still watches the game afterwards

suggestion

If you do 1)  just do it for non related Celts games too

If you do 2) why complain about non related Celtics games spoilers

@chambers .  do you have an answer ?

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It's not a problem I've ever had but it also seems like an incredibly easy thing to accomodate for. Instead of writing "Spurs stay undefeated at home" just write "Spurs/Warriors Game" or something of the like.

I will leave you with mgent reply earlier (which I totally agree with)

.  100 percent agree with this.

It seems like complete backwards logic to care about spoiling other teams' games, while at the same time, not caring that you still spoil Celtic games and now ONLY Celtic games?

Lol, that almost seems cruel.

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What a waste of time

Roy H . I blame you lol

Jk

For Celtics games is open season, for non Celtics games please refrain from spoilers. When we are Celtics fans first and foremost
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:48:08 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Triboy:

Because this is Celticsblog. I do avoid the blog if there's a Celtics game I want to watch. It's  perfectly reasonable to expect Celtics scores on Celticsblog.
 However, the Celtics don't play every day, and I don't  want to have tonwatch 2 straight games of NBA or 3 games before visiting the Celticsblog to make sure someone doesn't  put the score/result in the title.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2016, 10:04:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I don't think CB members should be subjected to spoilers by looking at the Latest Forum Topics. How would you feel if the next Walking Dead death was in the title of a thread before you got a chance to watch it? I voted "yes"
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I voted yes. No problem talking about details in the actual thread, but we should be accommodating of the forum's international visitors when it comes to game scores.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I will not put scores on the subjects moving on fwd . but  can't promise to avoid including some type of spoilers on the title after games/real time. It's not possible

Instead of nitpicking on what I did, understand the bigger picture and how forums are run /give moderators a break/can't make it bulletproof as new members join daily

Nobody wants to make the moderators job harder, we just want you to make an effort to be a more considerate person?

"Sorry about that Chambers.  I 'll try not to do that in the future" probably would have sufficed.  Instead you are clinging to some weird political battle over your "right" to be rude.

Great stuff, buddy!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I read all the prior posts and opinions. To prove it I will tell you that you meant "Spurs remain undefeated at home" not "Spurs remain undrafted at home"

Now as long as we have that clear perhaps it is you who are not reading posts because I showed already how easy it is to avoid typing spoilers in a thread title, whether that be leaving out a score or simplifying a thread title. It takes little effort but does require some use of refrain and courtesy to your fellow blogger.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Personally, I don't know how you guys can even wait to watch the game afterwards. Before tonight, I missed the last two games due to being at a health association conference across the country, and I told myself that I would wait to watch the game blind on NBA League Pass Broadband once the day was over and I got to my hotel room.

In the middle of presentations halfway through the first quarter I was already on Celticsblog and Bleacher Report seeing how things were going.

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2016, 01:17:49 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Personally, I don't know how you guys can even wait to watch the game afterwards. Before tonight, I missed the last two games due to being at a health association conference across the country, and I told myself that I would wait to watch the game blind on NBA League Pass Broadband once the day was over and I got to my hotel room.

In the middle of presentations halfway through the first quarter I was already on Celticsblog and Bleacher Report seeing how things were going.

That's understandable , so I'm assuming you'd  support not putting scores /results in topic titles?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:33 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I live in Australia. If am working or out from 9 until 5 pm, and the game was on at 10 am my local time, I now must avoid Celticsblog all day because triboy needs to put the results of a 'big game' in his thread title. I can't see any rumor updates, I can't talk about trade ideas, until I watch the game I wanted to watch.
So now I'll just wait until I get home at 5pm, watch the game, and then go on Celticsblog to add my thoughts/input to the community.
No thanks.

If there was some idiot who posted a "buy low" thread every time a player he coveted had a bad game, would you be upset if you clicked on a thread speculating about getting Harrison Barnes and it cited going 3-10 with 8 points in a loss to the Spurs as a reason he might be available?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference