Author Topic: C's one Elite Passer away from Dynasty  (Read 5639 times)

Re: C's one Elite Passer away from Dynasty
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2023, 05:25:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think white will fit perfectly fine into smarts role.

Didn't he average something crazy like 26ppg when smart was out and he was the starting point guard? Doubt he will do that a whole season.

But he fit in nicely.
Not quite. White had a stretch there where he put in 3 consecutive 20+ point 10+ assist games, but for the season without Smart he averaged 15PPG, 5APG, 4RPG, 1BPG and 1SPG on 47/40/89 shooting.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think white will fit perfectly fine into smarts role.

Didn't he average something crazy like 26ppg when smart was out and he was the starting point guard? Doubt he will do that a whole season.

But he fit in nicely.
Not quite. White had a stretch there where he put in 3 consecutive 20+ point 10+ assist games, but for the season without Smart he averaged 15PPG, 5APG, 4RPG, 1BPG and 1SPG on 47/40/89 shooting.

Which is perfect,  give us one more APG next season and I'll love those numbers.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2023, 07:52:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
My views on assists is different.  To me, team assists are more important than individual assists.  I don't think the passing ability of the PG is any more important than the passing ability of any other player.  If you look at the top teams for team assists last season:

GSW
DEN
SAC
PHX
SAN
IND
BOS

Many of these teams had a none PG as their top assist maker:

Green
Jokic
Sabonis
Paul
Tre Jones
Haliburton
Smart

Passing is not just about the PG.  The best shots come from multiple passes, not from a PG dribbling around and making 1 pass.  The Celtics should focus on offensive balance, off ball player movement, and of course, moving the ball (aka scheme).  The Celtics were 7th in the league in assists last season, with what most everyone agrees was kind of a stagnant, inefficient offensive scheme.  This isn't even a problem so there is no reason to something major to try and fix it.  You don't need a ball dominant PG to make the scheme better, to get more off ball movement, more cutting.  Scheme is about coaching and about 5 players being connected.

Agreed. And I never said PG in the thread title. It's one Elite passer it doesn't matter what position,  but he had to be able to defend and hit shots to stay on the floor.

I've always wanted Slo MO, Kyle Anderson,  Draymond,  Josh Giddey,  I said back before the draft I would have traded all 3 celtics firsts to move up three spots to draft Haliburton.

That obviously would have been a genius move.

My challenge for Tatum is for him to avg 7 apg. Not gonna happen,  but would take this team to the next level.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2023, 09:04:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
My views on assists is different.  To me, team assists are more important than individual assists.  I don't think the passing ability of the PG is any more important than the passing ability of any other player.  If you look at the top teams for team assists last season:

GSW
DEN
SAC
PHX
SAN
IND
BOS

Green
Jokic
Sabonis
Paul
Tre Jones
Haliburton
Smart

Passing is not just about the PG.  The best shots come from multiple passes, not from a PG dribbling around and making 1 pass.  The Celtics should focus on offensive balance, off ball player movement, and of course, moving the ball (aka scheme).  The Celtics were 7th in the league in assists last season, with what most everyone agrees was kind of a stagnant, inefficient offensive scheme.  This isn't even a problem so there is no reason to something major to try and fix it.  You don't need a ball dominant PG to make the scheme better, to get more off ball movement, more cutting.  Scheme is about coaching and about 5 players being connected.

Agreed. And I never said PG in the thread title. It's one Elite passer it doesn't matter what position,  but he had to be able to defend and hit shots to stay on the floor.

I've always wanted Slo MO, Kyle Anderson,  Draymond,  Josh Giddey,  I said back before the draft I would have traded all 3 celtics firsts to move up three spots to draft Haliburton.

My challenge for Tatum is for him to avg 7 apg. Not gonna happen,  but would take this team to the next level.

OK, with the discussion about Halliburton, I thought the inference was a PG.   I still think we have enough passers. We need better scheme and execution. 

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2023, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Funny you brought up that topic, as I was just reading about a deal that would send Harden to the Celtics in exchange for two rotation players.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-dark-horse-trade-destination-for-james-harden-he-could-win-a-championship-on-the-boston-celtics/ar-AA1eODpa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=21b8bd05fe9c4af88f9c89d10b6b0389&ei=10

Would James Harden coming to the celtics solve our problems?  It would also create a 'Big Four' of Tatum, Brown, Harden, and Porzingis!

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2023, 09:07:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Funny you brought up that topic, as I was just reading about a deal that would send Harden to the Celtics in exchange for two rotation players.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-dark-horse-trade-destination-for-james-harden-he-could-win-a-championship-on-the-boston-celtics/ar-AA1eODpa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=21b8bd05fe9c4af88f9c89d10b6b0389&ei=10

Would James Harden coming to the celtics solve our problems?  It would also create a 'Big Four' of Tatum, Brown, Harden, and Porzingis!
I wouldn't make that trade, personally.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2023, 11:48:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I wouldn't make that trade, personally.

I get brogdon is injury prone, but imagine a super thin team trading two of their top 6 players for a 34 year old with a long history of soft tissue injuries that is constantly out of shape. Between Horford, porzingas, harden and Rob we would see a lot of hauser, banton and the two way guys!

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2023, 05:05:43 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
The offensive scheme can make up for elite passing. What the team needs is high BBIQ and with KP in and Smart out, we improved there.

What will really unlock the offense is taking the ball out of Brown’s hands unless it’s in transition. JB needs to shoot/score/attack, not create. White/Tatum/Horford and even TL can make the quick intelligent read to keep the ball moving. Hopefully it’s something the team can work on in camp.
- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2023, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

GSW
DEN
SAC
PHX
SAN
IND
BOS

Green
Jokic
Sabonis
Paul
Tre Jones
Haliburton
Smart

Why not? This team will have more offense now with KP replacing MS. Tatum averaged 4.6 apg last season and his average has steadily increased every season in his NBA career. Now you add an elite scorer at a complementary position and he can't add a couple of apg to his average? I agree it's not too likely, but far from "not gonna happen"

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 09:44:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
How many dynasties over the last 30 years had an elite passer?  Bulls, Lakers, and Spurs didn’t. I don’t think Curry is an elite passer. He’s good, not great. So none?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2023, 10:27:33 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The best passing team since the '86 Celtics was, probably, the '14 Spurs. They did not have an elite passer on that team. Tony Parker averaged 5.7 apg, Ginobili 4.3, Duncan 3.0, and no one else above 3 per game.

This Celtic team (and, really, every team) should look to them as a model. It's not about a singular playmaker directing the offense, it's about a team mentality of making the right decision and letting the ball find the best scorers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 09:54:16 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2023, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The 2 best passing team since the '86 Celtics was, probably, the '14 Spurs. They did not have an elite passer on that team. Tony Parker averaged 5.7 apg, Ginobili 4.3, Duncan 3.0, and no one else above 3 per game.

This Celtic team (and, really, every team) should look to them as a model. It's not about a singular playmaker directing the offense, it's about a team mentality of making the right decision and letting the ball find the best scorers.
Is being an elite passer only measured by assists cause I would say ginobli was an elite passer for sure.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2023, 04:42:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When has the last great pass first guard won a championship?

Nowadays combo guards rule the day.  The original take is one from a bygone era.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2023, 09:58:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
When has the last great pass first guard won a championship?

Nowadays combo guards rule the day.  The original take is one from a bygone era.
Is it nowadays, or is it always? How often have pass-first point guards led their teams to championship? Cousy, Magic... Anyone else?

The 2 best passing team since the '86 Celtics was, probably, the '14 Spurs. They did not have an elite passer on that team. Tony Parker averaged 5.7 apg, Ginobili 4.3, Duncan 3.0, and no one else above 3 per game.

Is being an elite passer only measured by assists cause I would say ginobli was an elite passer for sure.
Ginobili was an excellent passer but what makes you say he was elite?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2023, 10:21:13 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It’s not just about one great passer these days, if you want ball movement on your team they all have to be able to pass and cut.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D