Author Topic: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension  (Read 16797 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2023, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Can people define "overpayment" or "worth it"?  Does anybody disagree that this is market value?

I guess people can argue that the market is overpriced, but since the market is guaranteed approximately 10% growth for at least a half-decade -- which outpaces JB's annual raises -- this deal only gets better compared to the market over time.
It's an overpayment if you pay the price and still can't win a title with him. To me the guys at the top level need to be guys who automatically make your team a title contender.  He doesn't do that. Put him on Detroit and are they a threat to win a conference title at least?  I don't think so.

You mean someone like Luka who didn't even make the playoffs last year? This is an insanely high standard and only like one player (Lebron) has fit this criteria in recent years.

I see people upset about the trade kicker, but isn't this irrelevant on max contracts? I thought that a trade kicker couldn't exceed the max a player is on. I guess the cap stands to increase slightly more than Jaylen's potential raises, but not even close to the full 15%.

Not in love with the contract myself, but I get it, and it had to be done. At least they held off on the player option making him even more tradable should the day come. And 35% for a 26 year old is a lot better than 35% for a player in his 30s (which is automatically the max a player with 10+ yrs can get).

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2023, 12:29:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

Fully guaranteed, with a trade kicker. No player option.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

I am sure others will chime in on this but I thought that even though there is a kicker, his salary can't kick above 35% of the cap in any case anyway, so a trade kicker may not mean that much.  Is that correct?

Is that a rule change? I do not believe that was the case in the past.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 12:36:26 PM by Who »

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2023, 12:31:58 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
The team as currently constituted won't be able to stop good teams from scoring when they need to.

As compared to who?  What top teams have the defense to stop other top teams?  Who is going to be able to stop us?

If your concern is that Porzingis is going to soften our defense (I don't think he will), we can put out:

White
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Williams

Probably the best defensive line up of any top team.  I think we have plenty of defense to win a title.
You must not have been watching the same team I watched the 2nd half of the season - including playoffs.

So then nothing changed and we weren't contenders last year even though we made it to game 7 of the ECF and were #2 seed in the east. What is your definition of contender?

If you are going to make a statement like we are not contenders you need to back up why they are not.

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2023, 12:38:27 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

Well, it's not really up to the fans...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2023, 12:41:55 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
According to the ESPN article:

"He is not eligible for a no-trade clause because he signed an extension."

Is this accurate?

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2023, 12:43:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

I am sure others will chime in on this but I thought that even though there is a kicker, his salary can't kick above 35% of the cap in any case anyway, so a trade kicker may not mean that much.  Is that correct?

I believe VM is correct.  Even with a trade kicker, a player's salary can't exceed the maximum, I believe.

Here's Larry Coon regarding the prior CBA:

A trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the maximum salary, based on his years of service, during the year of the trade

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2023, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
According to the ESPN article:

"He is not eligible for a no-trade clause because he signed an extension."

Is this accurate?

My guess is it's accurate.  As of right now, JB doesn't have the 8 years service time required for a NTC.  If he'd waited to hit free agency, he could have requested one.

The Celtics can't trade him for one year, however, due to CBA rules (rather than a contractual restriction).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

I believe VM is correct.  Even with a trade kicker, a player's salary can't exceed the maximum, I believe.

Here's Larry Coon regarding the prior CBA:

A trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the maximum salary, based on his years of service, during the year of the trade
doesnt that mean that if the cap explodes and goes up by more than the annual raise, he can get an increase to the 35% number in whatever year the trade happens and then would just get the annual raise after the increase.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2023, 12:52:13 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
This really feels like a death sentence.
Just waiting in line for the execution.

We're going to regret this so much.
Other fans laughing at the Celtics for this insane contract.

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2023, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

This seems like overkill. They literally just extended a guy who made all nba second team. Yeah, it’s a lot of money but it is what it is. If they win a ring or two during that time I don’t think anyone will care. Same fans mocked Ainge for his first contract extension saying it was too much too and JB ended up being underpaid by the end of it.

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think most fans of other teams would gladly pay $52 million to have JB there next year.

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2023, 01:02:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Crazy how much player salaries have exploded.  When do we hit $100M per year for somebody?  Given how quickly we're rising, it may not actually be that long. 

Paying a #2 option $60M per year isn't ideal but what choice do we have, realistically?  Just hope it's worth it in the end.

In theory, once the cap hits $190 million we could see the first $100 million season in a contract (the last year of a 5-year 40% supermax signed that summer, or supermax extension signed the summer before). For a more normal 35% max, the cap would need to be over $216.5 million.

Based on this year's cap at $136 million and 10% raises, we could see it in a contract as early as 2026-27 (for a 40% max extension), but more likely 2027-28 (for a 5 year 35% max extension or a 5 year 40% supermax non-extension).

In those cases we wouldn't see the actual $100 million salary until the last year of the deal, though. The earliest we could have a $100 million salary against the cap would be 2030-31 for a 40% supermax or 2031-32 for a 35% max/supermax, so it's still a ways down the road. Maybe sooner if a future CBA changes how maxes work, or removes the 10% limit on cap raises, but those estimates are at least close.

Edit: Off by one on the years in the last paragraph, my fault for using my phone calculator instead of my spreadsheet
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:14:33 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2023, 01:06:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Crazy how much player salaries have exploded.  When do we hit $100M per year for somebody?  Given how quickly we're rising, it may not actually be that long. 

Paying a #2 option $60M per year isn't ideal but what choice do we have, realistically?  Just hope it's worth it in the end.

In theory, once the cap hits $190 million we could see the first $100 million season in a contract (the last year of a 5-year 40% supermax signed that summer, or supermax extension signed the summer before). For a more normal 35% max, the cap would need to be over $216.5 million.

Based on this year's cap at $136 million and 10% raises, we could see it in a contract as early as 2026-27 (for a 40% max extension), but more likely 2027-28 (for a 5 year 35% max extension or a 5 year 40% supermax non-extension).

In those cases we wouldn't see the actual $100 million salary until the last year of the deal, though. The earliest we could have a $100 million salary against the cap would be 2031-32 for a 40% supermax or 2032-33 for a 35% max/supermax, so it's still a ways down the road. Maybe sooner if a future CBA changes how maxes work, or removes the 10% limit on cap raises, but those estimates are at least close.

Hooray for hundred dollar beers at The Garden
Yup

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2023, 01:11:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Is this a copy and paste from 2019? I swear I read the same thing 1000 times when he signed his first extension
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2023, 01:14:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

From what I’ve seen, people on NBA Reddit generally understand that the deal needed to be done and even said they would take him on that salary. Very few people are laughing at us for this.

You can think it’s a rough contract, but still think he is a valuable, two way star entering his prime.