Author Topic: ESPN projects the Celtics at #2 in the East  (Read 10305 times)

ESPN projects the Celtics at #2 in the East
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:35:19 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/19/espn-projects-boston-to-finish-2nd-in-the-east-in-2019-20/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

I found this interesting. There are so many questions marks around this team heading into the season:

1. Do Brown and Tatum take a major leap, looking more like the 2018 playoff versions on a nightly basis?
2. Does Hayward look like 2017 Utah Hayward - does he come basically all the way back?
3. Can the Time Lord take a major leap and start playing like a defensive and rebounding anchor for the team during the second half of the season?
4. What's the best pairing with Kanter?
5. Who is Poirier and can he play any meaningful minutes at the five?
6. Can Grant Williams, Carsen Edwards and possibly Langford provide us any meaningful minutes at all?
7. Etc...

I'm not sure where I'd put them? Thoughts?     

Re: ESPN projects the Celtics at #2 in the East
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Surprised Pelton has Hayward projected at only 62 games played this season.  That would be a career low if you exclude '17-'18.  His career low games played is 72* which was last season. 

*66 games played in '11-12 was the lockout season in which he played every game so I don't think should be considered as a career low.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
That boom you are hearing is the sound of heads exploding in Philadelphia.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Surprised Pelton has Hayward projected at only 62 games played this season.  That would be a career low if you exclude '17-'18.  His career low games played is 72* which was last season. 

*66 games played in '11-12 was the lockout season in which he played every game so I don't think should be considered as a career low.

Pelton uses computer models, and having 1 game/5 minutes in a recent season is going to cause any model to adjust downwards, especially when taking into consideration other factors such as age.  I don’t personally find it surprising.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I hope but #5 is what i expect if that
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I could see anything from 3-6

I think Philly and Milwaukee are a head and shoulders above us and I think Brooklyn, Indiana and Toronto are in our tier. Everyone else is another notch below but I guess I could see Miami making a run.

I honestly expect the 3 seed. Think Oladipo’s injury is being slept on.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
These same models of Pelton's also have neither LA team in the top two out West, have Houston as best in the West and has Orlando 4th in the East. What is surprising about Boston being #2 in the East isn't that Pelton thinks Boston will be great as they only project out at 47.4 wins by Pelton's model. That's about where a lot of models, projections and betting lines have the Celtics, within a game or so.

So Pelton's model isn't saying Boston will be a great team, he doesn't even have them at 50 wins. But he is saying the Sixers are not going to be as good as most think and that the East is dreadful as compared to the West.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »

Offline Gasur Na hEireann

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Cant look past Philly and the Bucks. The only thing with Philly is how well Horford will play. He's no spring chicken so if he struggles they may not be all that hot.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Celtics are winning the East this season, this isn’t surprising.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Giannis gets hurt goes down for 20 plus games.

The 76ers have problems struggle during the regular season but will be dangerous In the playoffs.

Raptors surprise some with 45 wins.

Celtics fight for the #1 or #2 spot depending on If the Freak injury comes true.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who are the 4 teams better than us? The Bucks, 76ers and Pacers are the only teams I can imagine finishing with a better record than us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I really like the feel heading into this season.  It isn't that I think the C's will be a top 3 in the East or a legit contender, it's that I really think just about anything could happen.   If everything goes the right way -- including perhaps an in-season upgrade -- the ceiling could be pretty high.  They could also struggle. Last year was a set-up for disappointment.   I don't think that's going to happen this year. 

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I really like the feel heading into this season.  It isn't that I think the C's will be a top 3 in the East or a legit contender, it's that I really think just about anything could happen.   If everything goes the right way -- including perhaps an in-season upgrade -- the ceiling could be pretty high.  They could also struggle. Last year was a set-up for disappointment.   I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Maybe not, but after what happened last season, I'm not going to presume any level of success beyond simply making the playoffs, which they absolutely should be able to do.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
These same models of Pelton's also have neither LA team in the top two out West, have Houston as best in the West and has Orlando 4th in the East. What is surprising about Boston being #2 in the East isn't that Pelton thinks Boston will be great as they only project out at 47.4 wins by Pelton's model. That's about where a lot of models, projections and betting lines have the Celtics, within a game or so.

So Pelton's model isn't saying Boston will be a great team, he doesn't even have them at 50 wins. But he is saying the Sixers are not going to be as good as most think and that the East is dreadful as compared to the West.
Can't read the article but having the 2nd best team in the East at 47.4 wins is nonsensical.  Besides the shortened 2011/12 season, the last time the 2nd place team in the East had under 50 wins was 2002/3.  The East is going to have some really bad teams which will pump up the numbers of the top teams in the East. 

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I mean, if Hayward returns to his all-star form and Tatum/Brown make jumps its certainly possible. I think alot of our assumptions are based upon Hayward/tatum/brown staying the same players they were last year.