Author Topic: Shams: Lakers pursuing Dwight Howard, mutual interest  (Read 7069 times)

Re: Shams: Lakers pursuing Dwight Howard, mutual interest
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 09:27:28 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am hoping and praying it happens. If Kobe could not deal with Howard and complained about him, can you imagine how Rondo and Lebron will do with him? Cannot wait to see this train wreck!

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This should be fun......for us, Lakers fans not so much.

Have a buddy that is a Lakers Fan, but roots for the Celtics on the side(I know wierd right?) But he said. If the Lakers add Howard to LeBum he's jumping ship. Hates both players. Also said the same thing when Kyrie was rumored to them.

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Also there must be something to the AD leaving for NY if things don't go well if they are going down the Howard rout. Must be desperate and trying to throw everything at the wall.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ignoring the Dwight Howard aspect of it all, this tells me that Anthony Davis has a loud voice in roster building, and yet again is demanding to spend most of his time at the 4, which ultimately is not the best thing for his team.  The best version of AD teams in general and the Lakers specifically has him playing the center.  He’s an elite interior defender and scorer.  He’s good at both of those on the perimeter, but not elite.  His jump shots need to be honored, but are not exceptionally efficient, although his passing makes up for that a bit.  He can rotate from the interior to the perimeter on defense and give players trouble, and certainly cover bigs who want to launch jumpers while getting back to the rim, but you don’t want him on the perimeter 100% of the time.

And when he’s at the 4, that means his team regularly has to put in a stiff at center who might be solid on interior defense but exploitable in 5-out offenses, and likewise clogs the paint giving AD and drivers on offense less room to work.  If a team has two AD’s, sure, play one at the 4 and the other at the 5, or alternate them there.  Would have worked great with Horford.  Cousins at least could play inside and out on offense, although was very exploitable on defense.  But having multiple centers like McGee and Howard to protect AD from logging more than a handful of minutes a game at the 5 is just not putting your best team forward, and will cost you games in a very competitive West.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If they had kept Zubac they wouldn't need Howard.

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Fingers crossed they are actually dumb enough to sign Dwight.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If he signs with them, I bet he has a good year and we will regret not signing him.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
If he signs with them, I bet he has a good year and we will regret not signing him.

Point taken, but unlikely.

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 12:24:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

After last year I will never again regret the Celtics choosing not to acquire a toxic headcase, irrespective of talent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
At least LeBron will have a source of roids if his dealer ever runs dry.

And if they run out of basketballs on the court they can just use Duhwight's shoulders instead, they are approximately regulation size  ;)

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Dwight and the Lakers ... two divas made for each other.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 03:49:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

After last year I will never again regret the Celtics choosing not to acquire a toxic headcase, irrespective of talent.

I don't know, Howard is definitely at a point in his career where he could change what he values and be less of a diva. I feel like players like Vince Carter and Jerry Stackhouse were long labeled as me first numbers guys that bounced from team to team. He seems really humbled by basically being on the fringe of the league. Like others have pointed out, on a minimum contract you can just cut him if he even looks at Stevens wrong or annoys Tatum once. 

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't know, Howard is definitely at a point in his career where he could change what he values and be less of a diva. I feel like players like Vince Carter and Jerry Stackhouse were long labeled as me first numbers guys that bounced from team to team. He seems really humbled by basically being on the fringe of the league. Like others have pointed out, on a minimum contract you can just cut him if he even looks at Stevens wrong or annoys Tatum once.

How many years in a row has he been toxic?  At minimum four, and arguably nine?

Guys like that don’t change.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 03:15:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jeopardy Clue: Anthony Davis doesn't want to play center even though he has prototypical size to play in the modern NBA. Meanwhile, Draymond Green has small forward size, but plays center for one of the best lineups in modern NBA history.

What is why the Lakers won't win a championship?

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The Lakers ABSOLUTELY should sign Dwight Howard.