Author Topic: top 5 television comedies (all time)  (Read 23876 times)

Re: top 5 television comedies (all time)
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Haven't had time to go through all the posts here but mine, in order:

1. The Office -- maybe my favorite show of all time after coming to the game late.

2. Seinfeld -- brilliant, but horrible last episode.

3. Arrested Development

4. Flight of the Conchords

5. Sledgehammer -- hillarious & virtually unknown?

6. Simpsons

7. Police Squad -- TV precursor to the Naked Gun movies, equally brilliant.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Would it be less than manly to add Sex in the City?

It really was a pretty funny show.

TP to you, I ain't gonna lie, I really like... no love this show. Mock me if you must, but I enjoy it.

And Markie Post was no joke on Night Court, I was really young when Night Court was on, but she was so hot.

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
My Top 10...

1.Seinfeld - Amazing show, I own every season on DVD. Every character has a funny personality in their own way, Kramer will be a legend forever.
2.The Office - Hasn't been around long and has already made itself my second favorite show. Each character has their own funny personality just like Seinfeld, with a few more great seasons it could pass Seinfeld on this list for me.
3.That 70's Show - This show wouldn't have worked with any other cast, each actor and actress plays their character to perfection. No other show masters teenage life through an entire decade.
4.Late Night with Conan Obrien - The best late night talk show host in the business, we saw what he can do with no writers during the strike last year, I believe his ratings went up as his shows got funnier as they became more spontaneous giving Conan the chance to showcase his talents. Conan is a genius who went to Harvard and can even play the guitar as he learned how to play while going to school in Boston.
5.South Park - This show has gotten better with time, I love how Matt Stone and Trey Parker are so blatant when they make fun of people, I prefer it in comparison to the subtlety that Matt Groening uses on The Simpsons. The characters are awesome.
6.Family Guy - Great characters, Seth MacFarlane blatantly making fun of people the way I like it. I have seen way too many reruns sadly and it is starting to get less funny, because of this it stays under South Park on this list.
7.King of Queens - Doug and Carrie > Ray and Debra. Everybody Loves Raymond laid the foundation and King of Queens obliterated the competition. This show was so much funnier. Everybody Loves Raymond had so many annoying characters including Debra, Ray's mom, and Ray and Debra's children who were some of the worst child actors I've ever seen, I've actually seen them laughing when trying to be angry in scenes. Why have a child acting in a show who can't be serious?
8.Frasier - I used to hate this show when my parents made me watch it a few years ago. As i have become more intelligent I have started to love watching reruns of this show.
9.Two and a Half Men - This show has been on for what 2-3 years? It has already become a great show, right up there with The Office. The actor who plays the kid is hilarious as well and never breaks character.
10.Saturday Night Live - This show is a timeless classic however it all depends on who is on the cast. Back in the day this show has had amazing casts, I stopped caring about this show for a long time, probably throughout high school and my freshman year of college, however this year with all of the election coverage the ratings went back up. I figured it would just be a phase but I find myself staying up late every Saturday night to watch, I love the current cast.

Honorable Mention: Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fresh Prince.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:31:31 PM by MattG12 »

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
1-Scrubs (What?! No love for Scrubs?)
2-The Fresh Prince
3-The King of Queens (I watch it daily)
4-Late Night with Conan Obrien
5-Mad TV (All episodes pre-2006, I dont really like the newer ones)

"That 70s Show" and "Family Guy" are also pretty funny.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 07:45:14 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
1. SNL - Forget the old cast and how much better it used to be. Barry Gibb will put you in the ground. SNL consistently puts out more hilarious skits than any other show. I'd take Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in My Pants over most entire shows people have put on their lists. So what if it's hit or miss, that's why there's the internet and the best of dvds.

2. Seinfeld

3. Chapelle's Show

4. South Park

5. In Living Color
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:50:29 PM by OmarSekou »
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Trying to think which have provided me with the most laughs...

The Office
South Park
Simpsons
Entourage
either Scrubs, SNL, Family Guy, Always Sunny, or Seinfield would be 5th I think...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
mr. show
south park
seinfeld
curb your enthusiasm
larry sanders show

i have successfully never even chuckled at friends.what an  accomplishment, i know.oh my god do i hate this show. i swear it was some kind of mass hypnosis. friends is the l.a. lakers of tv shows for me. i was in absolute hell when everyone wanted to watch this show.i'd watch it out of amazement that anyone else would. it was like
smelling an old carton of milk just because "wow. i can't believe how bad this smells."  when this show finally went off the air it was like when the fashion trend changed from shell toe sneakers,turtle neck and college sweatshirt to comfortable old flannel.

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
1. SNL - Forget the old cast and how much better it used to be. Barry Gibb will put you in the ground. SNL consistently puts out more hilarious skits than any other show. I'd take Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in My Pants over most entire shows people have put on their lists. So what if it's hit or miss, that's why there's the internet and the best of dvds.
I just saw that the other day and couldn't stop laughing.  SNL is good occasionally but it's hard to sit through an hour and a half each week.  They do have some of the best comedy sketches ever.  J in My Pants is going to be another of the classics.  Andy Samburg (I know I spelled it wrong) is the best part of that show right now, and it's usually when he makes a music video.  His "Punching people before they eat" sketch is a riot.

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
1. Scrubs
2. Arrested Development
3. 30 Rock
4. Chappelle Show
5. How I Met Your Mother

Then right there are Cheers, The Simpsons, All In The Family, Seinfeld, Fresh Prince, I find The Office uncomfortable and a bit boring but it has its moments. Also whoever said the Big Bang Theory doesnt have eye candy, i beg to differ to say the least.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
1) Seinfeld
2) Mash
3) Married with Children (loved that show)
4) Cheers
5) Frasier

I would have put MASH on my list, but after the 3rd season when Henry and Trapper left I thought the show lost something.

The first 3 seasons are some of the best in television history though.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
Found this list of top 50:  http://television.aol.com/insidetv/2008/04/01/best-tv-comedies/

Their top 15:

#1 - The Simpsons
#2 - Seinfeld
#3 - All in the Family
#4 - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
#5 - Cheers
#6 - MASH
#7 - The Cosby Show
#8 - Roseanne
#9 - I Love Lucy
#10 - Friends
#11 - The Honeymooners
#12 - The Larry Sanders Show
#13 - The Bob Newhart Show
#14 - The Office
#15 - Fraiser

Tough to really argue with much of the list.

I would definitely put Seinfeld and The Cosby Show somewhere in my top 5... and then it's tough for me, because I don't want to overrate current shows that I find hilarious like The Office.

I looked at the list and one big problem I have with it is they put Will & Grace at #32.  Couldn't stand that show (my wife still likes to watch the reruns... argh). 

My top 5 are (in no particular order):
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Scrubs
King of Queens
The Cosby Show
???Frasier???Night Court???Something???

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
In no particular order

Friends
Seinfeld
Cheers
Simpsons
Scrubs

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:28 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Curb Your Enthusiasm- Seinfeld with a more authentic feel and just flat out hilarious cringeworthy comedy...basically I like it a lot better than Seinfeld :)

The Office (Both Versions) David Brent and Gareth rule on the British one but the ensemble is better on the American one.

Flight of the Conchords- My favorite show on TV right now

Arrested Developement- Greatest of all-time

Always Sunny in Philadelphia- Another great comedy still on.

Freaks and Geeks- Great comedy/drama that features a great classic rock soundtrack

Extras- Gervais and Merchants second sitcom, like it even better than the UK Office, finale was great, touching and funny.

The Simpsons and Futurama- My favorite cartoons of all-time. The Simpsons is one of my favorite shows ever.

I think that covers most of my list. Also like some other shows, just not as much.

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 06:45:29 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Fresh Prince
Cosby Show
In Living Color
Simpsons
Friends

No particular order.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Seinfeld is obviously No. 1

But my personal fave was Dobie Gillis, which of course most of you have ever seen.

I never thought Cosby was all that funny. Decent sitcom, but not at the top.