Author Topic: Tim Thomas White House Snub  (Read 11874 times)

Re: Tim Thomas White House Snub
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The degree that this story has gotten blown up is INSANE.

Agreed.  The media didn't rip into Theo Epstein and Manny Ramirez nearly to this degree when they both skipped the trip to the White House in 2007.  Heck, Larry Bird declined a White House invitation in 1984, as well (although I think he went in 1986), and I've never heard any criticism related to that, either.

Of course, Boston is a liberal town in a liberal state, and there was a different political party occupying the White House in '84 and '07.  My guess is that has at least something to do with the media storm.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Agreed.  The media didn't rip into Theo Epstein and Manny Ramirez nearly to this degree when they both skipped the trip to the White House in 2007.  Heck, Larry Bird declined a White House invitation in 1984, as well (although I think he went in 1986), and I've never heard any criticism related to that, either.

Of course, Boston is a liberal town in a liberal state, and there was a different political party occupying the White House in '84 and '07.  My guess is that has at least something to do with the media storm.

Sure, that's part of it Roy.

But a bigger part is that neither of those gentleman chose to politicize a non-political event. Neither of them came out with a statement saying they did not attend because they didn't agree with the political party in the office.

Theo declined to comment, simply stating he had prior commitments and manny pretty much played it off as "im a goofball, i forgot."

now, could it have been because of the party in office? for theo, i'm sure it was, but unlike Thomas he chose not to make it a political statement. Thus he skated for the most part (though he was criticized, especially on talk radio)

Manny I'll buy was just dumb or didn't care.

Another case in point is Larry bird, who also chose not to attend, but declined to make it a political issue when asked.

Thomas went out of his way to make a non-political visit a statement about politics. That is his right, but he should also expect enhanced criticism for that decision.

For instance, if he had come out with a statement two or three days before that said "I have chosen not to attend do to other commitments." then people would have speculated, the rabble rousers like felger would have yapped about it but it wouldn't have been nearly the issue it has become because Thomas chose to make it one.

It was Tim's decision to make the non-political visit for winning a sporting event into a political statement, and if he's convictions warranted it then fine, that's his right.

but I find it hard to feel shock that it's blown up into a political story or credit it simply to the politics of Massachusetts. The choice to make this a political talking point was his.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Of course, Boston is a liberal town in a liberal state, and there was a different political party occupying the White House in '84 and '07.  My guess is that has at least something to do with the media storm.

But a bigger part is that neither of those gentleman chose to politicize a non-political event. Neither of them came out with a statement saying they did not attend because they didn't agree with the political party in the office.

Theo declined to comment, and manny pretty much played it off as "im a goofball, i forgot."

Another case in point is Larry bird, who also chose not to attend, but declined to make it a political issue when asked.

Thomas went out of his way to make a non-political visit a statement about politics. That is his right, but he should also expect enhanced criticism for that decision.

For instance, if he had come out with a statement two or three days before that said "I have chosen not to attend do to other commitments." then people would have speculated, the contrariations like felger would have yapped about it but it wouldn't have been an issue.

It was Tim's decision to make the non-political visit for winning a sporting event into a political statement, so I find it hard to feel shock that it's blown up into a political story. that was his choice.

All fair, but this was getting blown up at the local level even before Thomas released his statement.  It was several hours afterward that he posted his views, and yes, that probably made things even worse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Theo declined to comment, and manny pretty much played it off as "im a goofball, i forgot."

For instance, if he had come out with a statement two or three days before that said "I have chosen not to attend do to other commitments." then people would have speculated, the contrariations like felger would have yapped about it but it wouldn't have been an issue.

It was Tim's decision to make the non-political visit for winning a sporting event into a political statement, so I find it hard to feel shock that it's blown up into a political story. that was his choice.

All fair, but this was getting blown up at the local level even before Thomas released his statement.  It was several hours afterward that he posted his views, and yes, that probably made things even worse.

oh it definitely did. If he had just said something like i stated, that he had other commitments or chose not to attend then sure talk radio would have been on it for a few days, like they do with everything, but then it would have faded out.

But now it's on political channels and politicians radar as well. And all of that is Tim's choice. His good given right as an American to be sure, but at the end of the day this  was his choice.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It took guts to make his stand. Many would have given in to peer pressure.

I respect him.

I think it would have taken more guts to actually show up, support your team and actually say what he had to say to Obama personally if anything. He took the easy way out in my opinion, and in the process tarnished your teammate's moment.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tim Thomas can believe whatever he wants, and that's fine.

But when a guy can't put it aside for a moment to shake the presidents hand, it makes him at best case petty, at worst case, a bit of a wacko.

I mean heck, when Lebron doesn't shake the opposing teams' hands after a finals game, it belies an immaturity and lack of respect. This guy refused congratulations from the president.

Respect is not something he deserves for it, but neither is a media firestorm.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There's a difference between not shaking a hand offered and not taking time out of your day to go somewhere to shake a hand and have your picture taken.

This thing where people are expected to go and pay homage to politicians is sort of unAmerican.

Presidents in America are in the habit of living like kings. When Obama (and probably former presidents too) goes to eat out or to a friend's house to eat they shut down the street. People can't work. If you live on your street you can't go to your home till he's done.  

It's a political event. It was political before he got there.  It's an event where people pay homage to a guy and he gets to take his picture with champions and act all cool and smile. And Tim was like "Nice try. I'm not getting used that way".

I'm a little curious who exactly disagrees with his statement. Who thinks the Federal government is well within control? Who thinks the government doesn't threaten any rights or liberties or property of people?

This will probably become more common in our 24/7 social media nonstop look at me news cycle. That has pros and cons and it can become more ugly than this. We already have QBs in political Super Bowl ads. We already have music groups singing "Zig Heil to the president gas man" In the future this will seem tame.

All athletes named Tim are awesome. There. Political statement right there.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
So ummm...things have pretty much sucked for the Bruins since this.

WTG Timmy
Yup