Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13949 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Personally, I'm looking forward to a few matchups.

The Smart vs Simmons matchup will be good. I expect a few scuffles from them. Smart is a very savvy, crafty, annoying defender who could get under Simmons skin.

I think Philly may have an issue matching up with Rozier.

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Personally, I'm looking forward to a few matchups.

The Smart vs Simmons matchup will be good. I expect a few scuffles from them. Smart is a very savvy, crafty, annoying defender who could get under Simmons skin.

I think Philly may have an issue matching up with Rozier.

He doesn't give the ball handler any space to work and moves through screens really well. I'm really looking forward to that match up.
ok fine

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So glad to see we have our resident Philly stanner back to complement our resident Cleveland stanner.

;)
Vegas has the 76ers as 6/5 favorites to win the East.  Boston at 18/1 has the worst odds of the 4 remaining teams.

Most are expecting Philly to dismiss us easily in 5 or 6 games.   

Good time for the Phillastans of the world.  I guess tanking pays off.

Or just not having two all stars and a starter injured. We would be overwhelming favorites to win the east with homecourt advantage and our full team healthy. Really frustrating.
I agree it's frustrating.  You take the two best players off every other playoff team and it's doubtful any of them could hang with this injury-riddled Boston team.

Cleveland without LeBron and Love is garbage
Philly without Embiid and Simmons is garbage
Utah without Mitchell and Gobert is garbage
Houston without Harden and Paul is garbage
New Orleans without Davis and Holiday is garbage
Toronto without Lowry and Derozan is garbage

The only team that might still be decent without their two best players is the historically stacked Golden State Globetrotter squad.   Even without Durant and Curry, they'd probably be pretty decent with just Klay and Draymond.

So credit to Boston for even winning a playoff series without Kyrie and Hayward.  It's a shame, because the East is wide open and we could realistically threaten for a trip to the Finals with those guys healthy.

I still think Philly would be a problem, regardless.  That team is super talented and playing incredible basketball together right now.  Superstar talent gonna superstar.

I'd like to say that next year, if healthy, we'll be the favorites again... but I'm not so sure.  Philly's options this SUmmer still terrify me.

I think Philly doing better than expected this year and benefiting from all our injuries this series have decreased the chances of Lebron going there dramatically (not that I ever thought they were high). Lebron really cares about his image and if he goes to a team that makes the conference finals or finals already he is going to get skewered even more than Durant did and discounted from any GOAT discussion because he will look like a mercenary at the end of his career.

With respect to us next year, I think we will be absolutely dominant. Brown has made a huge leap this year. Tatum is only going to get better. Hayward! Irving! it is an embarrassment of riches.

I don't think Golden State would be that great without Durant and Curry by the way. We would have a good matchup with them if we were only down Irving and Hayward.
I don't know how realistic it actually is that LeBron goes to Philly, but it's hard to imagine him going West while the Golden State Globetrotters are still around.  What would be the point of that... so he can lose in the conference finals every year instead of the Finals?

Philly might very well make it out of the East, but it's hard to imagine any team really making a dent on Golden State.  They are historically stacked. 

So, I wouldn't totally rule out Bron joining Philly in the Summer.  I agree it's a bit of an awkward fit with Simmons controlling the ball, but it could happen. 

I could also still see him going to the Lakers depending on who else is joining him, but even a team of LeBron, Paul George and Kawhi would struggle to mesh as well as a team built around the ridiculous ball movement and shooting of Klay, Steph and Durant.

Part of me just thinks it would be funny if Bron joined the Warriors for the vet minimum.

Do you feel like we tanked even harder than they did?
Both teams set out to tank hard in 2013-14.   Marcus Smart was our prize.  Embiid was their prize.

We both set out to tank again in 2014-15.  Conventional wisdom said that moving all our vets like Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green for long-term assets was a clear attempt to bottom out a second time.  Ainge didn't include Brad Stevens into his calculations, though.  Ainge also saw an opportunity to snatch Isaiah Thomas for essentially nothing.   Much to his chagrin, his scrappy group of role players actually made the playoffs with a losing record.   Our starting line-up in the playoffs that season was Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller.

Woof.

Clearly Ainge has done a phenomenal job keeping this team relevant over the past few years.  Cashing in on our hall-of-fame talent for long-term picks has worked better than anyone could have possibly imagined. 

Meanwhile, Philly went 2 out of 3 on their tank job prizes.  Okafor is a bust, but SImmons and Embiid made the whole exercise worth it.

Both of our teams looked very different last year.   Despite the success we had over the years with our temporary roster, we're basically starting from scratch this year with a whole new group.  Philly is finally healthy and as predicted filled out their roster with vets.

In-fact, just two years ago I had the following to say:

The team was dedicated to the idea that you need a superstar to contend in this league (fact) and they needed to do everything possible to maximize their chances at getting one.  So for 3 years they avoided doing anything (like sign the Amir johnsons and Brandon basses of the world) to maximize their chance of getting stars via the draft.  They decided free agency wasn't a viable option for them (at the time they were over the cap) and they didn't have the assets to trade for one.

Now, when the dust settles on this, one of their 6+ seeds might actually end up growing into a superstar...  Beyond that they now have 80 mil in cap space so they can at least go after big name free agents.... Lastly, they can probably add about 15-20 wins just by opening their pockets for some veteran role players.  Even if the Durants of the world are unlikely, I guarantee you the Amir johnsons and Brandon basses of the world will be happy to take Philly's money when offered.

Hilariously, Amir Johnson is literally one of the players that Philly ended up signing.  As expected, vets were willing to take their money when they were ready to offer it.  Hence JJ Reddick getting a fat contract.   Hence them being able to sign vets like Bellinelli and Illasova to come off their bench.  Once you have the superstars in place, the rest is cake.   That's why I had been saying for years that basically any competent GM could turn them into a winning franchise given the assets they had. 

Fwiw, I actually think the Lakers' tankjob was even more shameful than Philly's.  Whereas Philly just depleted their roster of talent and acquired injured players making it impossible to win - the Lakers purposely coached themselves into losing games in an effort to keep their picks.  Philly at the very least had a coach and (garbage) players TRYING to win.   Lakers flat out decided to let some 37 year old scrub 35%/28% shooter jack up 17 shots a night for them in an effort to stay at the bottom.

Minnesota also tanked very very hard. However, I actually think it is more luck than anything with this stuff. If Embiid never hurts his back they probably end up with Jabari Parker and they are in the same exact boat as a lot of these other young teams.

I agree with everything else. It is so good man. So good to have you back.

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So glad to see we have our resident Philly stanner back to complement our resident Cleveland stanner.

;)
Vegas has the 76ers as 6/5 favorites to win the East.  Boston at 18/1 has the worst odds of the 4 remaining teams.

Most are expecting Philly to dismiss us easily in 5 or 6 games.   

Good time for the Phillastans of the world.  I guess tanking pays off.

Or just not having two all stars and a starter injured. We would be overwhelming favorites to win the east with homecourt advantage and our full team healthy. Really frustrating.
I agree it's frustrating.  You take the two best players off every other playoff team and it's doubtful any of them could hang with this injury-riddled Boston team.

Cleveland without LeBron and Love is garbage
Philly without Embiid and Simmons is garbage
Utah without Mitchell and Gobert is garbage
Houston without Harden and Paul is garbage
New Orleans without Davis and Holiday is garbage
Toronto without Lowry and Derozan is garbage

The only team that might still be decent without their two best players is the historically stacked Golden State Globetrotter squad.   Even without Durant and Curry, they'd probably be pretty decent with just Klay and Draymond.

So credit to Boston for even winning a playoff series without Kyrie and Hayward.  It's a shame, because the East is wide open and we could realistically threaten for a trip to the Finals with those guys healthy.

I still think Philly would be a problem, regardless.  That team is super talented and playing incredible basketball together right now.  Superstar talent gonna superstar.

I'd like to say that next year, if healthy, we'll be the favorites again... but I'm not so sure.  Philly's options this SUmmer still terrify me.

I think Philly doing better than expected this year and benefiting from all our injuries this series have decreased the chances of Lebron going there dramatically (not that I ever thought they were high). Lebron really cares about his image and if he goes to a team that makes the conference finals or finals already he is going to get skewered even more than Durant did and discounted from any GOAT discussion because he will look like a mercenary at the end of his career.

With respect to us next year, I think we will be absolutely dominant. Brown has made a huge leap this year. Tatum is only going to get better. Hayward! Irving! it is an embarrassment of riches.

I don't think Golden State would be that great without Durant and Curry by the way. We would have a good matchup with them if we were only down Irving and Hayward.
I don't know how realistic it actually is that LeBron goes to Philly, but it's hard to imagine him going West while the Golden State Globetrotters are still around.  What would be the point of that... so he can lose in the conference finals every year instead of the Finals?

Philly might very well make it out of the East, but it's hard to imagine any team really making a dent on Golden State.  They are historically stacked. 

So, I wouldn't totally rule out Bron joining Philly in the Summer.  I agree it's a bit of an awkward fit with Simmons controlling the ball, but it could happen. 

I could also still see him going to the Lakers depending on who else is joining him, but even a team of LeBron, Paul George and Kawhi would struggle to mesh as well as a team built around the ridiculous ball movement and shooting of Klay, Steph and Durant.

Part of me just thinks it would be funny if Bron joined the Warriors for the vet minimum.

Do you feel like we tanked even harder than they did?
Both teams set out to tank hard in 2013-14.   Marcus Smart was our prize.  Embiid was their prize.

We both set out to tank again in 2014-15.  Conventional wisdom said that moving all our vets like Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green for long-term assets was a clear attempt to bottom out a second time.  Ainge didn't include Brad Stevens into his calculations, though.  Ainge also saw an opportunity to snatch Isaiah Thomas for essentially nothing.   Much to his chagrin, his scrappy group of role players actually made the playoffs with a losing record.   Our starting line-up in the playoffs that season was Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller.

Woof.

Clearly Ainge has done a phenomenal job keeping this team relevant over the past few years.  Cashing in on our hall-of-fame talent for long-term picks has worked better than anyone could have possibly imagined. 

Meanwhile, Philly went 2 out of 3 on their tank job prizes.  Okafor is a bust, but SImmons and Embiid made the whole exercise worth it.

Both of our teams looked very different last year.   Despite the success we had over the years with our temporary roster, we're basically starting from scratch this year with a whole new group.  Philly is finally healthy and as predicted filled out their roster with vets.

In-fact, just two years ago I had the following to say:

The team was dedicated to the idea that you need a superstar to contend in this league (fact) and they needed to do everything possible to maximize their chances at getting one.  So for 3 years they avoided doing anything (like sign the Amir johnsons and Brandon basses of the world) to maximize their chance of getting stars via the draft.  They decided free agency wasn't a viable option for them (at the time they were over the cap) and they didn't have the assets to trade for one.

Now, when the dust settles on this, one of their 6+ seeds might actually end up growing into a superstar...  Beyond that they now have 80 mil in cap space so they can at least go after big name free agents.... Lastly, they can probably add about 15-20 wins just by opening their pockets for some veteran role players.  Even if the Durants of the world are unlikely, I guarantee you the Amir johnsons and Brandon basses of the world will be happy to take Philly's money when offered.

Hilariously, Amir Johnson is literally one of the players that Philly ended up signing.  As expected, vets were willing to take their money when they were ready to offer it.  Hence JJ Reddick getting a fat contract.   Hence them being able to sign vets like Bellinelli and Illasova to come off their bench.  Once you have the superstars in place, the rest is cake.   That's why I had been saying for years that basically any competent GM could turn them into a winning franchise given the assets they had. 

Fwiw, I actually think the Lakers' tankjob was even more shameful than Philly's.  Whereas Philly just depleted their roster of talent and acquired injured players making it impossible to win - the Lakers purposely coached themselves into losing games in an effort to keep their picks.  Philly at the very least had a coach and (garbage) players TRYING to win.   Lakers flat out decided to let some 37 year old scrub 35%/28% shooter jack up 17 shots a night for them in an effort to stay at the bottom.

Minnesota also tanked very very hard. However, I actually think it is more luck than anything with this stuff. If Embiid never hurts his back they probably end up with Jabari Parker and they are in the same exact boat as a lot of these other young teams.

I agree with everything else. It is so good man. So good to have you back.
An alt universe where Embiid is healthy on draft night potentially has massive repercussions.

Embiid probably goes #1 to Cleveland and they might end up keeping the pick.  If healthy Embiid is as amazing in Year 1 as he was when he finally made his debut, the trio of LeBron, Embiid and Kyrie might still be together contending for titles.

Meanwhile, maybe Golden State finally reluctantly agrees to trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love.   In which case, maybe Durant never ends up on the Warriors.

Or perhaps Boston goes all-in and trades for Kevin Love - losing the picks that became Brown and Tatum and instead building around Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo.

Meanwhile, butterfly effect means that Jabari Parker isn't playing in the Suns/Bucks game when he gets injured on December 15, 2014.  Instead, he'd be leading a very young Philly team alongside the sensational rookie Nerlens Noel.  Perhaps with no injury, his development isn't stunted.  Perhaps the youthful Noel/Jabari Sixers still finish outside the top 3 and instead find themselves picking at #9 when Danny Ainge comes calling about Justice Winslow... and perhaps Hinkie agrees to move the Winslow pick to Boston for #16 (Rozier), #28 and the 2016 Brooklyn pick... but because we've now just shifted the space time continuum, instead of the 2016 Brooklyn pick ending up #3, it ends up winning the lotto and the Sixers add Ben Simmons regardless... who in this timeline doesn't get injured his rookie year.

Then perhaps Rozier, Simmons, Jabari and Noel all live up to their potential with lots of minutes out of the gate and a more balanced roster.   

Who knows.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
They had a 7 game series in 2012 and no one talked about ignition of an old rivalry

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
They had a 7 game series in 2012 and no one talked about ignition of an old rivalry
That's because Philly was an 8th seed team that won 35 games and wouldn't have even gotten past the 1st round had Derrick Rose not gotten injured prior to the playoffs.   Boston was a borderline washed up old team that got past an injured Hawks team in Round 1... it was semi embarrassing Philly even took us to 7 games that season.   It couldn't be considered a reignition of the rivalry, because Philly had no business being there and Boston was overdue on blowing it up.

Where we stand right now is two young teams on the verge of having long-term contenders.  This might be the first of many playoff battles between these teams over the years.  Philly probably smokes us this go-around, but we'll hopefully come back healthy next season and give them more of a fight.

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We didn’t have so many Celtics fans who were fascinated with all things Sixers back then.

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 07:40:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
We didn’t have so many Celtics fans who were fascinated with all things Sixers back then.
It was a couple years before both teams synchronized their rebuilds so that they'd end up at this point as playoff rivals.

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.
As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

Don’t worry. Your team will start to play better.

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

We ain't closing a series in a hostile environment like Wells Fargo Center.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.
Except the only talent that didn't really play as usual was Simmons. And even that isn't really true, as he played as well against us as he has all season - which is to say, poorly.

Covington has been trash all playoffs, nothing new there. Belinelli returned to earth. Doubt we're in trouble
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Except the only talent that didn't really play as usual was Simmons. And even that isn't really true, as he played as well against us as he has all season - which is to say, poorly.

Covington has been trash all playoffs, nothing new there. Belinelli returned to earth. Doubt we're in trouble

Yeah I think Convington got very overhyped on this forum. One person called him Rudy gobert on the wing. Between that and the reddick is a very good defensive player posts two days ago it is tough to take this board seriously on philly