Author Topic: NaS - Untitled  (Read 10931 times)

NaS - Untitled
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I know that there are some Wu-Tang fans on this site.  But I was wondering what people thought about the new NaS album.  I personally think it is amazing.  Not neccesarilly in terms of pure ability (which we all know NaS is not lacking) but mostly just the content of the album.

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoQh5BrdFA
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

Re: NaS - Untitled
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Great album IMO. 

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I like a lot of Nas's work, this song seems pretty good.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I find it hard to like a compilation of "music" where when you buy the edited version there are no lyrics.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:58:57 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
I find it hard to like a compilation of "music" where when you buy the edited version there are no lyrics.

Don't buy the edited version then.  lol  If your looking for music where you don't have to hear swears then NaS probably isn't the guy for you.  But if you can get over that then his music might have a positive effect on you.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Illmatic is the truth but let's start the Darius Miles party now! Turn this jam up at 0:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBf2fK37yE

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I felt that it was a great album overall but I felt some of the songs were a little too overproduced. particularly based on the whole feel of the album.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Don't buy the edited version then.  lol  If your looking for music where you don't have to hear swears then NaS probably isn't the guy for you.  But if you can get over that then his music might have a positive effect on you.

;D  Please enlighten me.  How exactly does it do that??  I listened to that little "song" full of crap above and it sounded like prototype hate-filled gangsta garbage.  There's nothing positive, amazing, or musical about compiling hate-filled racist sexist words in a nursery rhyme format and yelling them to synthesized bass.  

I guess to each his own.  I guess it would have a positive effect on me if my goal was to join a gang.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
I felt that it was a great album overall but I felt some of the songs were a little too overproduced. particularly based on the whole feel of the album.
Ya I hear that.  I feel like that's been the case for his last couple albums.  But I really like how he's really trying to inspire people with each song and make people think.  It's refreshing to hear in mainstream hip-hop.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum

;D  Please enlighten me.  How exactly does it do that??  I listened to that little "song" full of crap above and it sounded like prototype hate-filled gangsta garbage.  There's nothing positive, amazing, or musical about compiling hate-filled racist sexist words in a nursery rhyme format and yelling them to synthesized bass.  

I guess to each his own.  I guess it would have a positive effect on me if my goal was to join a gang.

Sorry your right.  It probably won't have a positive effect on you.  Not if you listen to it with pre-concieved notions that all it is "gangsta garbage".  It would however have a significant effect on you if you grew up in that culture or lifestyle (which I am guessing you didn't) or if you cared at all or were interested in urban society.  He is talking about some of the main problems with the world today and he discusses many issues that a lot of people are too scared (or just don't care enough) to talk about.  If it's too harsh for you to listen too (which it is for a lot of people) then skip over it.

Also I bet you have never tried rapping huh?  Try screaming into a synthesized bass and then listen to how it sounds.  It's not as easy as you think.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Sorry your right.  It probably won't have a positive effect on you.  Not if you listen to it with pre-concieved notions that all it is "gangsta garbage".  It would however have a significant effect on you if you grew up in that culture or lifestyle (which I am guessing you didn't) or if you cared at all or were interested in urban society.  He is talking about some of the main problems with the world today and he discusses many issues that a lot of people are too scared (or just don't care enough) to talk about.  If it's too harsh for you to listen too (which it is for a lot of people) then skip over it.

Also I bet you have never tried rapping huh?  Try screaming into a synthesized bass and then listen to how it sounds.  It's not as easy as you think.

Please, shookones, give me an example of a word, a phrase, or a sentence ( ;D)  in the bilge above that inspires you in a positive way.  What, exactly, does it inspire you to do or be?  I listened to it one more time and can't figure out what you're talking about.

As a musician, after listening to it twice, I perfected the fake "music" using the fake synthesised bass sound on my keyboard.  It's not hard.  It requires literally no musical skill.  I'll admit that it would take me a lot longer to do the hate-filled racist sexist anti-everything words in the standard nursery-rhyme format because my mind isn't wired to promote public mayhem.  (For the record, Shookones, I lived in and worked in an urban society for 10 years.  I saw how the "leaders" and "music" inspired the culture to perpetuate the hate, violence, and poverty.  Without it, the purveyors of hate are nothing.)  I took a huge pay cut to get my family the hell out of it.  But my mind got a huge pay raise.  Shouting and spitting hate into a mic, I guess, is above my musical skill level.  So I anxiously await how anything I heard above inspires any positive action.

I must be real old.  I remember when the Sugarhill Gang made listening to rap fun. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:56:38 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBVqik8I7Y
theres some inspiration from nas.  i would not call it hate-filled or anti-everything

im sorry, but you cannot just call his music "fake" because it does not appeal to your musical pallet.  Nas is, in my opinion, ridiculously talented and the best lyricist in hip-hop.  you come off sounding really pretentious and it upsets me that you just dismiss him as an artist after hearing how many songs? just that one? different people have different tastes and just because his music does not match your taste does not mean it is "bilge"

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Please, shookones, give me an example of a word, a phrase, or a sentence ( ;D)  in the bilge above that inspires you in a positive way.  What, exactly, does it inspire you to do or be?  I listened to it one more time and can't figure out what you're talking about.

As a musician, after listening to it twice, I perfected the fake "music" using the fake synthesised bass sound on my keyboard.  It's not hard.  It requires literally no musical skill.  I'll admit that it would take me a lot longer to do the hate-filled racist sexist anti-everything words in the standard nursery-rhyme format because my mind isn't wired to promote public mayhem.  (For the record, Shookones, I lived in and worked in an urban society for 10 years.  I saw how the "leaders" and "music" inspired the culture to perpetuate the hate, violence, and poverty.  Without it, the purveyors of hate are nothing.)  I took a huge pay cut to get my family the hell out of it.  But my mind got a huge pay raise.  Shouting and spitting hate into a mic, I guess, is above my musical skill level.  So I anxiously await how anything I heard above inspires any positive action.

I must be real old.  I remember when the Sugarhill Gang made listening to rap fun. 

Finkelskyhook, where can I get some of these songs, or at least the beats that you've mastered?  Since producers and beatmakers make millions, if you got some perfected beats I'd love to have them if you're not doing anything with them.  Even if I don't like your beats, it's not about my taste, you've got it mastered and I'll take them and earn the big bucks.  Have you really perfected a skill that could earn you millions, but instead are doing nothing with it because you just don't like the music?  You said you took a pay cut, so you must be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or someone like that if you have to take a pay cut and using a million dollar skill still ain't worth your time.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i only like a few nas songs... its kinda of like lupe for me, love some, iffy about the rest.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Finkelskyhook, where can I get some of these songs, or at least the beats that you've mastered?  Since producers and beatmakers make millions, if you got some perfected beats I'd love to have them if you're not doing anything with them.  Even if I don't like your beats, it's not about my taste, you've got it mastered and I'll take them and earn the big bucks.  Have you really perfected a skill that could earn you millions, but instead are doing nothing with it because you just don't like the music?  You said you took a pay cut, so you must be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or someone like that if you have to take a pay cut and using a million dollar skill still ain't worth your time.

Producing, promoting, or creating uplifting, inspirational garbage that perpetuates the continuation of urban decay, degragation of women, violence, drugs, racism, and mayhem is not something that my integrity would allow.  Like I said, it requires no creativity anyway.  No thanks. Mr Mihm, I can call the music fake because it is.  Note that no instruments are being used. It's all synthesized.  Thus it's fake.  The lyrics, however, while being horribly unimaginative, are all too real.

A person doesn't have to be Warren Buffett to take care of his family.  But he can't take care of his family from a casket or a prison cell.  Which is the very thing nas and his fellow dirtbags promote in their "music".   It's sad that you'd patronize somebody who gets wealthy promoting this trash.