Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14697 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Thank god.   I genuinely think we would have regretted it hard had we given up the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for a non-superstar like Butler.  The pick has a chance to be a superstar and Butler wouldn't have gotten us over the hump.  We sure as hell could have regretted it had we given up the pick for a 1.3 year rental of Paul George before he flees to the Lakers.   

Then when you consider the rumor that Indy wasn't just asking for the Brooklyn pick, but also 3 of the 4 following players:  Smart, Jaylen, Bradley and Crowder...  it would have been downright moronic for us to make that move.

Neither CHicago or Indy was ever serious about making a deal.  They just wanted to see if they could fleece the Celtics into giving up 50 bucks on the dollar for a guy doesn't improve you enough to beat the Golden State Globetrotters. 

Fans will be upset, because they are impatient, want "action", don't understand big picture ramifications, the fact that the 2017 Brooklyn 1st has a reasonable chance to be a better player than Butler, don't realize we have a significant chance to sign a major free agent this summer, and don't realize that we wouldn't necessarily even be a better team by making a deal.   

People are dramatically undervaluing how great Bradley and Crowder have been this year.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see either average 20+ points playing on a bad team like Chicago.  They are great defenders and two of the most efficient shooters in the league this season.   Taking the ball out of Thomas hands late in the game makes no sense right now.  He's been terrific.   I really don't think adding one of those name brand stars would have improved us as much as people think.  They don't address our needs at all.

So glad our team didn't make a foolish short-sighted decision.  It's a major relief. 

Scoff at the dream of the Brooklyn 1st, but I genuinely believe the odds of that pick ending up a better player than Butler are greater than the odds a guy like Butler helps us beat Golden State during his 5 year window.

FWIW, It sounds like Bogut will be bought out and I'm pretty sure Golden State can't sign him (having traded him less than a year ago).  So I imagine we'll be one of the teams he'll consider.  He's a good fit here.   That's all we really need to make a good-faith run at a playoff push this year.

I don't disagree with any of this, although it is easy to feel disappointed in the moment that we didn't make a splash.

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It is fine they stood pat. But people need to realize by doing so, it pretty much guarentees Boston gets to about the second round of the playoffs. The roster is just not good enough to win a series vs Toronto or Cleveland.

Washington will be a tough one...but they could win that one. Now  at some point they have to take the next step. Be it through the draft, trades, player development, free agency, etc...the picks, the stashes etc have to take hold.

It is absolutely important the Nets pick is a top 3 pick

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
standing pat was the right move.
Adding Butler or George would have been exciting but not at the cost they wanted. No chance we beat the Warriors with either, probably wouldnt beat the Cavs either.
This team is building for the future, not right now. and that is exactly what they should be doing. The only real player mentioned the past few days that actually made sense to me is Drummond, he's young, on a LT contract and fits a major area of need.

Makes you wonder what that means for guys like IT and extensions? I think Ainge's goal is to stay young.

Yeah. Hard to tell.

The ways the CBA has changed really is showing with few big deals. With most players only on 4 year deals (instead of 5 or 6), there is less dead weight, and buyers remorse isn't necessarily fatal. I don't see teams being to quick with super max offers either. It will be easier for teams to clear out a cap mess and start over. Picks are gold and not grease for deals. So without picks and expiring dead weight contracts, trades seem different. Not so many rotation players moving.

We're in good position to compete in the Smart/Brown/Olynyk/BK17/BK18 era, but it wouldn't hurt to contend in the Horford/IT/Bradley era, would it?  Maybe the young guys will come along quickly... but it's going to take packaging them to accelerate contending. Maybe he doesn't see the IT/Horford pair as one piece away?

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
2 words: Rodney Rogers

never forget
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
2 words: Rodney Rodgers

never forget

Two more: Tony Delp

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The pick will be very attractive after the lottery.

Ainge could package 2018 #1 and 3 2nd round picks this year and move back into the 1st round. Then he could package that pick and a player to move up in a deep draft.

Could we somehow get 2 top 10 picks and still sign a FA like Haywood?

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The results of the draft lottery are now huge. We absolutely need to get the first pick. If that happens, I would assume we'll have a lot more potential trade options. From the perspective of other teams, I can understand why not knowing where that pick will fall may have decreased our leverage a bit.

I'm interested to hear Danny's take on all of this. On the bright side, we still retained all of our assets, which are much better than anyone else's in the league. But were there more minor deals to be had that would've improved us in the short term while still retaining all key assets?

Lastly, like others have said, there's no way Chicago and Indy were serious about dealing Butler or George if they were asking for that much, as they never would've gotten it.

Study draft more. Watch the games. Simply not true. There are at least 4 awesome players. I doubt Danny has  Fultz 1.

Didn't mean to imply that there's only one player at the top that's clearly better than everyone else. But I do think a prospective trade partner would covet the top pick much more than the second, third or fourth pick, because that guarantees they get their top player. Just from the standpoint of us maximizing our trade leverage, I do think winning the lottery would be huge.

That's fair but I hope we draft not trade.

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Now Bogut and Deron Williams will sign with Cleveland for peanuts.

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Then when you consider the rumor that Indy wasn't just asking for the Brooklyn pick, but also 3 of the 4 following players:  Smart, Jaylen, Bradley and Crowder...  it would have been downright moronic for us to make that move.

Fans will be upset, because they are impatient, want "action", don't understand big picture ramifications, the fact that the 2017 Brooklyn 1st has a reasonable chance to be a better player than Butler, don't realize we have a significant chance to sign a major free agent this summer, and don't realize that we wouldn't necessarily even be a better team by making a deal.   

TP.

Danny is holding out for good deals.

We crucify him every time he doesn't make a big move, and yet, here we sit 3 years after gutting an aging, injured, talent-depleted roster, and we have a 50-win team and will likely have 3 consecutive top 5 draft picks (along with a couple of promising guys in Europe).

Why do we have all of that? Because of the deals AINGE MADE. Not because of the countless deals HE CHOSE NOT TO MAKE when everyone else wanted "fireworks."

I'll roll with that track record all day. Onward.

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
2 words: Rodney Rodgers

never forget

Two more: Tony Delp
And two more... Tony Delk.

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Thank god.   I genuinely think we would have regretted it hard had we given up the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for a non-superstar like Butler.  The pick has a chance to be a superstar and Butler wouldn't have gotten us over the hump.  We sure as hell could have regretted it had we given up the pick for a 1.3 year rental of Paul George before he flees to the Lakers.   

Neither CHicago or Indy was ever serious about making a deal.  They just wanted to see if they could fleece the Celtics into giving up 50 bucks on the dollar for a guy doesn't improve you enough to beat the Golden State Globetrotters. 

People are dramatically undervaluing how great Bradley and Crowder have been this year.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see either average 20+ points playing on a bad team like Chicago.  They are great defenders and two of the most efficient shooters in the league this season.   Taking the ball out of Thomas hands late in the game makes no sense right now.  He's been terrific.   I really don't think adding one of those name brand stars would have improved us as much as people think.  They don't address our needs at all.

So glad our team didn't make a foolish short-sighted decision.  It's a major relief. 

Scoff at the dream of the Brooklyn 1st, but I genuinely believe the odds of that pick ending up a better player than Butler are greater than the odds a guy like Butler helps us beat Golden State during his 5 year window.

FWIW, It sounds like Bogut will be bought out and I'm pretty sure Golden State can't sign him (having traded him less than a year ago).  So I imagine we'll be one of the teams he'll consider.  He's a good fit here.   That's all we really need to make a good-faith run at a playoff push this year.

I don't disagree with any of this, although it is easy to feel disappointed in the moment that we didn't make a splash.

Totally. That's how I've been in years past. Now I just try to roll with it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

never forget

Joe Johnson :(

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
It is fine they stood pat. But people need to realize by doing so, it pretty much guarentees Boston gets to about the second round of the playoffs. The roster is just not good enough to win a series vs Toronto or Cleveland.

Washington will be a tough one...but they could win that one. Now  at some point they have to take the next step. Be it through the draft, trades, player development, free agency, etc...the picks, the stashes etc have to take hold.

It is absolutely important the Nets pick is a top 3 pick

This should have fans furious.  That your gm and coach resign to the fact that you are a second round team and don't try to improve.  Nonsense!

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

never forget

Joe Johnson :(
it was such a bummer to lose him

ended up working out since we won anyway, but dang, it would have been nice to keep him

ainge is proving once again that he has his eyes on the future, and a championship. not just the ECF
I trust Danny Ainge