Author Topic: Should we have traded Morris and/or Rozier?  (Read 3438 times)

Re: Should we have traded Morris and/or Rozier?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Thanks to Terry Rozier I know about the GMB Blood sekt. Ainge is probably stoked, he hasn't had to answer questions about the exact same gang sign since 2008. Makes no sense to let another team deal with it. And just because Kyrie has the best handle in nba history, hit a clutch shot to win a Final, and is the best reality-based recruiting chip one could show - screw it, we need Terry. 
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Of course we should have. No question.

We will lose both for nothing in the offseason as both are easily replaceable at deals much less than what they will be asking, and both have been causing both on amd odd court problems

I think it's too early to judge.

We have to know for sure and the only way to know that is to let them play in the playoffs.

If the Celts exit early in the playoffs, like in the 1st round, I will totally agree with you that Morris and Rozier should have been traded.

Take the case of the 2012 Celtics.
That Celtics team was frustrating to watch in the regular season.
But that 2012 Celtics surprised everybody by making it to the east finals and taking the Heat to a Game 7.

take this season out of it altogether.

Rozier and Morris will not be able to be used in a sign and trade this offseason for Davis as cap rules make it super hard for that to happen.

So either we pay them as much as they are going to be looking for and go even deeper into the lux tax, or maybe move them for some sort of cheap depth in a S&T (again very difficult to do because of the CBA) or let them go for nothing.

nothing

Danny very easily should have been able to have traded them at some point this season for a couple of contract that extend PAST this season and into next season, which would have then been used as salary filler in a davis trade and negated the CBA Sign and trade rules.

It was a terrible financial decision to keep them both past the deadline

You can't just take this season out of it. Having them for the rest of the year has value, both to us or to any team that we could have traded them too (which is why we would get something for trading them). This isn't a rebuilding team that needs to trade performance now for 2nd round picks

It's like saying "if you take the money we sent them out of it altogether, the Hawks made a horrible basketball/financial decision by trading for Jabari Bird"

I dont think anyone was advocating the trading of Morris and Rozier for 2nd round picks.

But a deal needed, and should have, been struck netting replacement asset whose contract extends into next season.

A player to help now, and in the "trade"

Maybe a player could help now, e.g. A center of knock down SG, but I'd take...nobody. An injured player. Conditional 1st that convert to 2nd's. A balloon ride. Whatever.

Rozier plays like he's trying to add to his FA (or HOF) highlight reel. And Morris has always played like that. No good.

The rotation should be clearing itself of their bad habits. We have depth for this reason.

FREE SEMI!!!

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Silky

I don't think teams were ready to offer a 1st round pick for Morris or Rozier.

BitterJim's scenario of getting a 2nd round pick for Morris or Rozier is more plausible.

Maybe before the season started, Rozier would've gotten the Celts a 1st round pick.
But after his performance this season, no way a team gives the Celts a 1st round pick for Rozier.

Marcus Morris is a tweener.
So his trade value is not really high.

IMO Ainge would have traded Rozier or Morris if a team offered a 1st round pick.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Should we have?  probably not.  Could we have?  who knows.

reasons against it: the 2 of them know Brad's system and know the lockerroom/personalities of the team so less disruption to the team trying to integrate new players on the court and lockerroom.  Also, they're both capable of going off for over 20 points in a game which, considering some of the offensive droughts this team has even with this roster, is a benefit that I don't think we'd get from whomever they could have been traded for.

I don't worry about losing either with no return.  did the same with Olynyk and we don't seem the worse for wear.  have to weigh the benefits of having them for a playoff run and being able to resign them if needed vs trading them and not having them for the playoffs or following years.

The difference between Olynyk verses Morris and Rozier, is an indirect way not re-signing KO helped open up cap space for Hayward whereas losing Morris and Rozier you don’t gain much of a side benefit.
another difference is that depending on the trade for AD, we may need to resign either or both of them for depth if Danny has to trade 3-4 rotation players to get Davis.  losing Olynyk for nothing did free up cap space for a free agent and keeping Rozier/Morris for now allows some roster flexibility depending on any summer trades.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it probably wouldve been a good idea to trade Rozier.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The big fear coming into this year was how does the team figure out roles? The Morris/Brown situation did something terrible for the team's long term chemistry. Morris was clearly playing the best ball of his career, and Brown was awful. The team makes an adjustment, and it works.

Unfortunately, it was very important for the team to figure out those roles. Not surprisingly, Morris has regressed back to his typical output, and Brown has gotten past his early struggles. Now we are stuck with a team that hasn't figured out how to play together. Brown is a better player than Morris, but the starters don't know how to play with him.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Should we have?  probably not.  Could we have?  who knows.

reasons against it: the 2 of them know Brad's system and know the lockerroom/personalities of the team so less disruption to the team trying to integrate new players on the court and lockerroom.  Also, they're both capable of going off for over 20 points in a game which, considering some of the offensive droughts this team has even with this roster, is a benefit that I don't think we'd get from whomever they could have been traded for.

I don't worry about losing either with no return.  did the same with Olynyk and we don't seem the worse for wear.  have to weigh the benefits of having them for a playoff run and being able to resign them if needed vs trading them and not having them for the playoffs or following years.

The difference between Olynyk verses Morris and Rozier, is an indirect way not re-signing KO helped open up cap space for Hayward whereas losing Morris and Rozier you don’t gain much of a side benefit.
another difference is that depending on the trade for AD, we may need to resign either or both of them for depth if Danny has to trade 3-4 rotation players to get Davis.  losing Olynyk for nothing did free up cap space for a free agent and keeping Rozier/Morris for now allows some roster flexibility depending on any summer trades.

No way does danny put us deep into the tax to pay Rozier and Morris what they want to keep them for depth.

They can both be replaced at a less of a cost, less of an upside, but less of a cost.

Rozier is going to be looking for 15 mill per, Morris will be looking for 8 figures. In their reduced roles they are worth nothing near that amount, especially since that would cost the team even more in the long run due to taxes.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The big fear coming into this year was how does the team figure out roles? The Morris/Brown situation did something terrible for the team's long term chemistry. Morris was clearly playing the best ball of his career, and Brown was awful. The team makes an adjustment, and it works.

Unfortunately, it was very important for the team to figure out those roles. Not surprisingly, Morris has regressed back to his typical output, and Brown has gotten past his early struggles. Now we are stuck with a team that hasn't figured out how to play together. Brown is a better player than Morris, but the starters don't know how to play with him.

Which is funny, because out of everyone, Brown is the easiest to slot into any lineup.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

I am not sure about what you are getting at in the last sentence?  Brown played great while starting last year with Kyrie, Tatum, and Al.  I think those guys know how to play with Jaylen.  I think Brad's offensive sets don't maximize Brown's potential when he is starting.  Brad just has him stand in the corner most of the time while Kyrie / Horford are doing pick and roles, or Tatum does his iso thing. 

Sometimes I think that the problem with the starting lineup is starting both Tatum and Morris.  The ball seems to stop with them more than any other two on the team.  Adding Smart to the mix as another player that can be a facilitator helped the starters a lot.  Early in the season Morris was shooting out of his mind, so his more selfish play was mitigated by hitting all those shots.  Now when he isn't shooting as well, his overall play seems to have dropped off a bit.

Brown seems to have adjusted well to being a primary scorer off the bench now.  I think Jaylen probably deserves to start, but shifting the apple cart again just might make everything worse.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Which is funny, because out of everyone, Brown is the easiest to slot into any lineup.

This is true, but unfortunately Brad just has him stand in the corner on off when he is with the starters.   Maybe if Brown when back to the starting lineup now, Brad would run more plays for him, or at least get him and others moving more without the ball.  I hate watching guys stand on off.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
This post should prove to Celtic fans what scapegoats are

They blow 2 games where Rozier and Morris were not close to being a primary cause yet this posts exists.

Marcus Smart can miss 15 wide open three pointers and not a peep. Starters can play terrible defense and lose 20+ points leads and nothing is said about individuals involved.