Author Topic: Game 3: end game, Celts don't foul?  (Read 3612 times)

Game 3: end game, Celts don't foul?
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »

Offline 17...18...19!

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think it was the first game of the finals, in the final minute, the Lakers baffled observers by not committing fouls as an end game strategy.  The TV announcers were baffled, at the least, and I think there was a thread here on CelticsBlog the next day about it.

Well, the Celtics seemed to do the same thing at the end of game 3, but I haven't seen anybody discussing it, wondering why the Celtics didn't play this one out to the very last second.  Or did I miss a thread?

Today I read that the Celts were very tuckered out, maybe that was it.  Any body have thoughts?

Re: Game 3: end game, Celts don't foul?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I gotta agree, it was a little odd to see them not even trying to foul after the ball crossed halfcourt.  It was a 2 possession game at that time and still almost 15 seconds to play.  It almost definitely wouldn't have changed the outcome, but like the commentators said, "It's the finals!"

It is the same thing as when there are a couple seconds left in a quarter and a player holds the ball on his end of the court instead of launching a 60 footer...it's got like a 5-10% chance of going in, but that's still better than 0%, right?

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
it was a three possesion game i belive, 7 points.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't really care.  They should have fouled.  Go for the win. 

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
it was a three possesion game i belive, 7 points.

Sorry, I was going off memory (which was a little hazy at midnight on a Tuesday  :P) Still, I thought 1 more foul was worth it, considering LA's struggles at the line that night.