Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 126314 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Time to stop whistling past the graveyard... Tennis, like pretty much any other sport, has a big PED problem. There was a time when the men noticeably started declining at 30, and the women much earlier. There was something like a physical speed limit on dominance; no one, however great, could defy the laws of biology, which was a great equalizer. Those days are gone, and what you’re left with is a situation where those that truly distinguish themselves are not just the ones who have mastered their craft, but have (along with their trainers and doctors) also mastered the new sciences of performance. I know a lot of people don’t care about this, but I do. It’s getting ridiculous.

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
<deleted — double post >

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Djokovic picked up his 8th Australian Open today and now has 17 all time.  He has won 5 of the last 7 Grand Slams, though the other 2 went to Nadal who is up to 19 all time.  Federer has 20, but hasn't won in awhile (still can basically beat anyone not named Djokovic or Nadal, but really can't take those 2).  Nadal has won the last 3 French Opens and 12 overall, so he will be a pretty heavy favorite to tie Federer in the next Grand Slam event.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Djokovic picked up his 8th Australian Open today and now has 17 all time.  He has won 5 of the last 7 Grand Slams, though the other 2 went to Nadal who is up to 19 all time.  Federer has 20, but hasn't won in awhile (still can basically beat anyone not named Djokovic or Nadal, but really can't take those 2).  Nadal has won the last 3 French Opens and 12 overall, so he will be a pretty heavy favorite to tie Federer in the next Grand Slam event.
Djokovic is headed for greatness. At next years ausie open the three greats might be at 20 slam titles each. It’s amazing how many great players they depraved of a grand slam title the last 20 years

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Anyone watching the Aussie Open? This may be the year and first major where one of the young guns breakthrough. Thiem did win the US Open in 2020, However, Djokovic was disqualified for hitting the lines person in the throat with a ball and Roger/Rafa didn’t play.

I think Thiem could win his second major at the AO this year. He’s been incredible. Medvedev and Rublev are playing at a high level as well. Should be interesting....
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I don't root after Thiem as he really must face an obstacle course to advance to final : Kyrgios in five, then a Dimitrov in good shape, then Auger Allasime who may be one of the guys of the year, then Djokovic or more probably Zverev...
I would go for
Zverev- Thiem and Nadal-Medvedev, then Nadal Zverev and the title for Nadal. Next year Nadal and Djoko will begin to regressit is inevitable, so with some young bucks in ascencion (Auger Alassime, Sinner, Humbert...) and all the good new gens players(Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev ...) it will be a big fight in each Gran Slam...

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I don't root after Thiem as he really must face an obstacle course to advance to final : Kyrgios in five, then a Dimitrov in good shape, then Auger Allasime who may be one of the guys of the year, then Djokovic or more probably Zverev...
I would go for
Zverev- Thiem and Nadal-Medvedev, then Nadal Zverev and the title for Nadal. Next year Nadal and Djoko will begin to regressit is inevitable, so with some young bucks in ascencion (Auger Alassime, Sinner, Humbert...) and all the good new gens players(Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev ...) it will be a big fight in each Gran Slam...

Zverev does not perform well under pressure. He gets the yips with his second serve. I don’t think he’s ready mentally to win a major. Thiem did have a tough match vs Kyrgios, but I think he takes care of Felix and Gregor in straight sets . Novak barely squeaked out a win for vs Fritz and he doesn’t seem his usual self. I would give the edge to Thiem, then Medvedev, and Rubilev as a dark horse.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
How do we like Medvedev's chances?

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Late 80's and into the 90's, the foursome of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Boris Becker, and Stefan Edberg was pretty dominate. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
How do we like Medvedev's chances?

I think Medvedev wins. He’s been really impressive and similar to what Naomi did to Serena, I feel like Daniil can beat Novak at his own game. Medvedev is 6’6” and has a bigger serve. He moves and plays defense just as well as Djokovic . It’s going to be an epic match.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:25:29 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2021, 11:20:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So Novak got his 9th Aussie today.  Now has 18 all time.  Probably should have 19 but got ejected at the US Open last year and of course Wimbledon was cancelled or he might already have 20 and be tied with Federer and Nadal. It looks like he will end up with the most ever which is just crazy to think about.

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
So Novak got his 9th Aussie today.  Now has 18 all time.  Probably should have 19 but got ejected at the US Open last year and of course Wimbledon was cancelled or he might already have 20 and be tied with Federer and Nadal. It looks like he will end up with the most ever which is just crazy to think about.
He also has winning records against both head to head. I think the fact that he is a little younger than both helped him though.

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2021, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Really disappointing final. Djokovic played well, but Medvedev completely lost it mentally. Way too many mistakes, couldn’t get his first serve in for most of the match. Played safe and didn’t go for enough Winning shots during rallies. Recipe for disaster against Novak. Too bad...

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2021, 12:24:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't know what it is about Australia, but Novak just completely dominates everyone there.  Doesn't matter that he tore something in his stomach in the 3rd round.  He just owns that court.  Doesn't have the same sort of success on any other hard courts, but in Australia you might as well just give him the title before it starts.

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

It’s going to be close. Nadal will probably win the French again this year as he doesn’t really have much competition on that surface. Djokovic is not great on grass and he can’t beat Rafa on clay.in addition to Nadal,  Thiem and Medvedev are now legit threats to Novak on hard courts. Djokovic doesn’t usually win the US open either.

Hope Roger can get healthy enough to play one more Wimbledon and US Open. Would be sad to see his career end due to injury.