Author Topic: 2023 offseason CelticStrong fantasy draft - LOTTERY DONE: Order in OP  (Read 42329 times)

Re: 2023 offseason CelticStrong fantasy draft
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like the non top 75 idea. That is great. I would ban current day players because they would be a cheat sheet type options as several of them will be on the next list. Maybe no current day players or no player seasons after 2010. Something like that.

I like no top 75 a lot.  It's hard to overcome not getting one of the elite guys in these games.  Or no MVP winners would be similar.  Only chops 35 players off the list and would allow for some current nba players to be taken, but not LBJ, Durant, Jokic, Curry, Giannis and some others.
I’ve really come around to the no top 75 + no current NBA players idea. Still so much elite talent, just none of those near-perfect guys. The flawed but extremely talented guys are the most fun
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2023, 08:39:02 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I like the non top 75 idea. That is great. I would ban current day players because they would be a cheat sheet type options as several of them will be on the next list. Maybe no current day players or no player seasons after 2010. Something like that.

I like no top 75 a lot.  It's hard to overcome not getting one of the elite guys in these games.  Or no MVP winners would be similar.  Only chops 35 players off the list and would allow for some current nba players to be taken, but not LBJ, Durant, Jokic, Curry, Giannis and some others.
I’ve really come around to the no top 75 + no current NBA players idea. Still so much elite talent, just none of those near-perfect guys. The flawed but extremely talented guys are the most fun

I agree!  I like that it also takes guys like Dolph Schayes off the board who nobody has every really seen play but tend to get taken based on resume.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2023, 05:25:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I agree!  I like that it also takes guys like Dolph Schayes off the board who nobody has every really seen play but tend to get taken based on resume.
And it will feed into biases a little less - all the best Celtics are unavailable ;D

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2023, 05:56:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd be interested if the concept involves modern players. Not a fan of excluding the top 75 players tbh.

Fwiw, there's a forum in realgm where we run this kind of games nonstop throughout the year. The theme of our current game is ''players who have won a ring''. We have to declare a specific season for each player. Only seasons in which the given player won an NBA title are eligible to be selected. The time frame is set from 1977/78 to 2022/23 (= post merger). For instance, guys like Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning or Dwight Howard are eligible, but they are way past their prime. Highly doubt anybody will select them.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=2305266

Our next game will likely start as soon as the current one ends. If anyone is interested, feel free to join.

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2023, 07:46:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'd be interested if the concept involves modern players. Not a fan of excluding the top 75 players tbh.

Fwiw, there's a forum in realgm where we run this kind of games nonstop throughout the year. The theme of our current game is ''players who have won a ring''. We have to declare a specific season for each player. Only seasons in which the given player won an NBA title are eligible to be selected. The time frame is set from 1977/78 to 2022/23 (= post merger). For instance, guys like Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning or Dwight Howard are eligible, but they are way past their prime. Highly doubt anybody will select them.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=2305266

Our next game will likely start as soon as the current one ends. If anyone is interested, feel free to join.
I think there’s a bit more interest in a historical draft, but if we do a contemporary one (which I would also find fun), I’ll make sure to let you know

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2023, 12:36:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Fun looking at that top 75 list. I had forgotten some of the names on it. Carmelo Anthony, Reggie Miller, Damian Lillard, Dennis Rodman.

I thought Pierce wasn't there at first and I was about to blow a gasket about Melo being there but no Pierce. But he is. It is okay.

Lot of cool talent outside the top 75. Less well rounded and team orientated so team build more complex. Fun team construction questions.

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Fun looking at that top 75 list. I had forgotten some of the names on it. Carmelo Anthony, Reggie Miller, Damian Lillard, Dennis Rodman.

I thought Pierce wasn't there at first and I was about to blow a gasket about Melo being there but no Pierce. But he is. It is okay.

Lot of cool talent outside the top 75. Less well rounded and team orientated so team build more complex. Fun team construction questions.
Yeah, I’ve been slowly compiling a spreadsheet of non-75 guys (ignoring current NBA players). Lots of fun options, with some seriously good talent there

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
So when we say that a player cannot be currently playing, does that mean in the NBA or basketball in general? It may not seem important, but it does strike a few players off the list.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
So when we say that a player cannot be currently playing, does that mean in the NBA or basketball in general? It may not seem important, but it does strike a few players off the list.
Definitely a good question. It wipes a few really good players off the board. No NBA guys is probably easiest, given there are some players who have not "retired" yet but don't have a professional team either, which could create confusion, but happy for it to be nobody who has not officially retired either.

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2023, 05:21:38 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Definitely a good question. It wipes a few really good players off the board. No NBA guys is probably easiest, given there are some players who have not "retired" yet but don't have a professional team either, which could create confusion, but happy for it to be nobody who has not officially retired either.
I think not being on an NBA team is the way to go imo. It really only affects two players on my list (so far), so adding them into the pool isn't really a big deal.

Have we considered any era constraints? I'll be honest, my understanding of the NBA past the obvious takes a nosedive once we get into the early-70s and beyond.

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2023, 05:25:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think not being on an NBA team is the way to go imo. It really only affects two players on my list (so far), so adding them into the pool isn't really a big deal.

Have we considered any era constraints? I'll be honest, my understanding of the NBA past the obvious takes a nosedive once we get into the early-70s and beyond.
I think there had been some vague discussions about post-1970 or something similar. Not sure if it was settled whether that meant year a player was drafted or year a player played.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2023, 05:45:42 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I think there had been some vague discussions about post-1970 or something similar. Not sure if it was settled whether that meant year a player was drafted or year a player played.
I think the year of the NBA-ABA merger (1976-77 being the first year allowed) is a good starting point. I think just having played past this point is good enough imo.

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2023, 05:51:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409

I think the year of the NBA-ABA merger (1976-77 being the first year allowed) is a good starting point. I think just having played past this point is good enough imo.

Yeah, I'd be cool using the ABA merger as a kick off point. I like the players in the early 70s but if the ABA merger is happier for others then that is great. You only lose out on a small number of guys. Still huge numbers left available. I really like those late 70s guys too. Fun guards that are not really around by the 80s.

I was wondering about the "no current players" thing as well. Maybe players that have played in an official NBA game in the last 12 months or 24 months should be excluded. Something like that. That could help clear up some confusion about guys who are not officially retired but also not currently on a team and also guys who went abroad and still active basketball players but not NBA guys.

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2023, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That would suit me. Post-merger, no NBA 75, and no current NBA players. Still a huge talent pool

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2023, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Made a rough draft board for myself under the mentioned rules, and I underestimated how many really good players would be available. Got to a little over 60 players, and that's without going for a deeper dive into hidden gems.

Also looking over the top 75, it's laughable that Lillard got on over other players who I believe deserve in much more.