Author Topic: Nets couldn’t trade shamet for a 1st.  (Read 4566 times)

Re: Nets couldn’t trade shamet for a 1st.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I still don't understand why the Rockets wanted a pick that will be in the late 20's instead of Jarret Allen.
That is also the point I keep getting confused by. Allen might never be a superstar, but he seems like he obviously has a future in the league as a league average center (at least.)

6'11 shot blockers who have shown flashes of ball skills don't grow on trees. Plus his hair game is on point. I am a huge fan of huge afros so I may be biased.

Edit: I understand that Andro, but they have to pay the money to somebody. A long term investment of 20+ a year in a player like Allen is a smart investment. That Wall contract may be weighing heavily on their minds.
And they still probably could have moved him later in the year and still ended up with the 1st round pick anyway (if not more).  It isn't like the trade was going to go away.
True. If the deadline comes around, and playoff teams/ borderline playoff teams need a center, I can't imagine people would throw a fit over a 15-30 1st for Allen. Especially since the team trading for him would have his RFA.
Yep.  I think Boston would have gladly done it, for example.  Probably would have been ok with Prince as well if that is what it took to get it done.  Prince, Allen for Semi, Green, BOS 1st, Cash with Boston using part of the TPE (I think that keeps Boston under the apron but if necessary a larger contract or another player could go out).  I think that would have been a better trade for the Rockets as Boston's pick is likely better than Milwaukee's and they get Semi who can at least be a cheap bench player for them.  I do think Boston would have done that as well, as that gives Boston a real legit center going forward in Allen and better wing depth in Prince (who next year would have been a good sized expiring contract helping facilitate trades). 

I just don't get that part of the trade from Houston.  I get the rest of it, but just don't understand why they wouldn't want Allen or at least wouldn't want the option to shop him over a longer period to see if they could get a better package for him.

Regarding Boston, it would have cost us roughly $25 - $30 million next season between Prince’s salary and Allen’s projected deal.  That’s Oladipo money, for a position where we are 4-deep.  Plus, we are using the TPE and giving up a first.

Robert Williams is every bit as good as Allen, if not better.
This is a homer post of homer post.  Williams is not every bit as good as Allen and certainly isn't better than him.  Williams is a better shot blocker, but that is about it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Anyone else concerned that shamet was about to be traded to his 4th team in his 4th season

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Anyone else concerned that shamet was about to be traded to his 4th team in his 4th season
Not really. Victim of circumstance as far as I can see
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 05:15:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I still don't understand why the Rockets wanted a pick that will be in the late 20's instead of Jarret Allen.
That is also the point I keep getting confused by. Allen might never be a superstar, but he seems like he obviously has a future in the league as a league average center (at least.)

6'11 shot blockers who have shown flashes of ball skills don't grow on trees. Plus his hair game is on point. I am a huge fan of huge afros so I may be biased.

Edit: I understand that Andro, but they have to pay the money to somebody. A long term investment of 20+ a year in a player like Allen is a smart investment. That Wall contract may be weighing heavily on their minds.
And they still probably could have moved him later in the year and still ended up with the 1st round pick anyway (if not more).  It isn't like the trade was going to go away.
True. If the deadline comes around, and playoff teams/ borderline playoff teams need a center, I can't imagine people would throw a fit over a 15-30 1st for Allen. Especially since the team trading for him would have his RFA.
Yep.  I think Boston would have gladly done it, for example.  Probably would have been ok with Prince as well if that is what it took to get it done.  Prince, Allen for Semi, Green, BOS 1st, Cash with Boston using part of the TPE (I think that keeps Boston under the apron but if necessary a larger contract or another player could go out).  I think that would have been a better trade for the Rockets as Boston's pick is likely better than Milwaukee's and they get Semi who can at least be a cheap bench player for them.  I do think Boston would have done that as well, as that gives Boston a real legit center going forward in Allen and better wing depth in Prince (who next year would have been a good sized expiring contract helping facilitate trades). 

I just don't get that part of the trade from Houston.  I get the rest of it, but just don't understand why they wouldn't want Allen or at least wouldn't want the option to shop him over a longer period to see if they could get a better package for him.

Regarding Boston, it would have cost us roughly $25 - $30 million next season between Prince’s salary and Allen’s projected deal.  That’s Oladipo money, for a position where we are 4-deep.  Plus, we are using the TPE and giving up a first.

This is a homer post of homer post.  Williams is not every bit as good as Allen and certainly isn't better than him.  Williams is a better shot blocker, but that is about it.
I don’t think it’s as easy as one is better than the other. Allen is a lot more durable than Rob is, so it’s a hard comparison based purely on skill. Their production per-possession is pretty even - Timelord is the better defender and rebounder, as well as being 10% more efficient, whereas Allen is the better passer, fouls less, turns it over less and has a much more significant sample size.

Given their projected price tags (I see Allen earning a big offer this off-season) I’d rather TL, but he’s not that much worse given his development this season. If he can stay on the court he could end up our best big man by All-Star Weekend.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Williams has a higher scoring rate on lower usage, plus better  offensive and defensive rebounding rate, block rate, steal rate, better FT%, FG%, eFG% and TS%, and he’s got a significantly better Def Rtg.  If you like advanced metrics, Williams is better in PER, WS/48, BPM, OBPM and DBPM.  And, he’s been much more accurate shooting away from the hoop.

He’s also been in the league a year less, with another year on his rookie contract. 

Williams + $30 million in cap room + 1st rounder + full TPE or Allen + Prince

No brainer.  The cost of Allen + Prince is essentially adding another Max contract to the roster, for a very, very marginal upgrade at best.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:41:10 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I don’t think it’s as easy as one is better than the other. Allen is a lot more durable than Rob is, so it’s a hard comparison based purely on skill. Their production per-possession is pretty even - Timelord is the better defender and rebounder, as well as being 10% more efficient, whereas Allen is the better passer, fouls less, turns it over less and has a much more significant sample size.

Given their projected price tags (I see Allen earning a big offer this off-season) I’d rather TL, but he’s not that much worse given his development this season. If he can stay on the court he could end up our best big man by All-Star Weekend.
Allen is also playing a lot more minutes, which tends to decrease production on a per minute basis.  And Allen is playing a lot more minutes because he is better.  He was also starting over Jordan the last 5 games he played for the Nets and was like 32 mpg in those games. 

Allen was 2nd on the Nets in DRTG (only Jordan was better).  The Nets are a terrible defensive team and the two centers suffered for it.  Jordan, for example, basically has his worst full season DRTG since he became a starter in his 3rd year.  Williams certainly has a better one and has been pretty good defensively on the whole, but the C's are a much better defensive team overall and Williams is by and large playing against bench players and not starters, so that helps also.  Williams is definitely a better shot blocker, but I don't know that you can say he is a better defender overall just given the circumstances and roles that the two of them played.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
JarrettAllen: the king of garbage time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes